Down New manager

Started by Down1234, July 04, 2018, 05:52:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snoopdog

Irish news reporting jim mcguinness and conor laverty.

Taylor

Quote from: Thastheball on November 09, 2021, 01:35:27 PM
Hearing from a good source outside the county, Jim, Conor Laverty, Conleith Gilligan and Marty Clarke.

It would take serious coin for that to happen.

Do Down have the financial backing for it? Surely the financial backer(s) would have expectations?

rrhf

Hearing from a good source outside the county, Jim, Conor Laverty, Conleith Gilligan and Marty Clarke.
That is some team and some kick in the arse for the Down way. Will definitely get the best out of what is there. Makes life very interesting next year in the UC and potentially AI.   

tiempo

A manager appointment in Ulster is going to generate more interest than the Leinster and Munster championships combined. The sheer amount of intrigue this is going to generate. Any combination of Jim v Donegal, Tyrone, Derry (Rory Gallagher) is going get people off their seats and into stadia. A great appointment and well worth the wait for Down folk. Another competitive team in Ulster, looking forward to 2022 champ already.

toby47

Quote from: rrhf on November 09, 2021, 03:27:06 PM
That is some team and some kick in the arse for the Down way. Will definitely get the best out of what is there. Makes life very interesting next year in the UC and potentially AI.

Surely Down don't have a team to compete for an All-Ireland at the minute? Or even Ulster?

Saying that there's not a whole lot between a lot of the teams in Ulster, Derry should have beaten Donegal last year. Monaghan on the slide.

I know Derry are training like dogs at the minute. Gallagher has them doing a serious amount of aerobic work.

dec

https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2021/1109/1258908-mcguinness-and-laverty-linked-with-vacant-down-job/

Jim McGuinness has moved to quash speculation linking him with a role with Down.

It had been reported that the former Donegal All-Ireland-winning manager had been in discussions with the county about forming part of a Conor Laverty-led management team, which would also feature Laverty's former Down team-mate Martin Clarke.

But in comments to the Irish Times on Wednesday, McGuinness said that although inter-county set-ups had been in touch with him recently, he intends to continue pursuing his soccer coaching ambitions.

"Over the course of the winter months a number of county teams have been in contact with me with a view to manager's jobs and coaching roles," he said. "I spoke with all of them because I do love coaching and out of respect, really. You are going to listen to what someone has to say. "And I told them all the same story - that I am very much focused on soccer at the moment and waiting to see what might happen or not happen at the end of the season."...

ck

How on earth has this nonsense been leaked? It's embarrassing from a Down perspective.

supersub

Pretty simple. WhatsApp and Social Media. Hardly leaked, just a fabricated story which grew legs.

ck

Quote from: supersub on November 11, 2021, 12:12:11 AM
Pretty simple. WhatsApp and Social Media. Hardly leaked, just a fabricated story which grew legs.

Hardly fabricated when McGuinness has admitted he had been talking to Down. Therefore it was leaked. Now it's dead in the water.
Other counties are all training and getting ready for the league, we don't even have a manager. What a shambles!

DownbutnotOut

Conor Laverty will not be next Down manager

Updated / Saturday, 13 Nov 2021 17:49

Conor Laverty will not succeed Paddy Tally as Down manager

By Niall McCoy

RTÉ Sport journalist

Conor Laverty will not be the next Down manager, RTÉ Sport can confirm.

When contacted about his reported links to the position by RTÉ Sport, the Kilcoo man confirmed that his focus was instead on his club's Ulster quarter-final with the Cavan champions next month.

"We have a very important couple of weeks' training ahead and are really looking forward to the challenge."

The 36-year-old had been heavily linked to the Mourne county job this week along with Jim McGuinness and Martin Clarke, but he will instead remain on with their U20s. McGuinness distanced himself from a coaching role with Down earlier in the week in an interview with the Irish Times while Clarke will also not be involved in any new management team.

"I am delighted that I have been ratified to continue as Down U20 manager recently and having Marty, Declan (Morgan) and Sean (Boylan) back is great," Laverty added.

"We really enjoyed working with this age group, we had a good season there winning the Ulster title and we want to try and build on the good foundations put in place last year."

It had been speculated earlier this week that Laverty, with Clarke and McGuinness in his coaching team, was set to be ratified as Paddy Tally's successor, but the Mourne county are still hunting a successor. Longford are the only other football county still without a manager for the 2022 season.

Kilcoo won their ninth county title in ten years – and Laverty's 10th on the field of play – with a 1-12 to 0-13 win over Burren last weekend. They play the winners of Gowna and Ramor United on 4 December, with the Breffni sides set to meet in a replayed county final on Sunday.

seafoid

Best of luck to wee James and Aidan O'Rourke .
Tyrone are only one behind.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

rafla ta se

any word on backroom set up yet?

Ed Hardy

Ronan McMahon added to backroom according to Irish News yesterday.

Three man weave

Hearing rumors that some lads not committing this year, have other commitments with family or travel, anyone heard anything or could it just be tripe

Truth hurts

I was told Darren O'Hagan was not committing this season? A great servant .