Beer Cities - Top 6 in the world

Started by muppet, May 24, 2010, 07:45:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ziggysego

Quote from: maddog on May 25, 2010, 08:24:04 AM
Bruges is a tourist trap. Antwerp is miles better for the batter.

Never been to Bruges, but Antwerp is a lovely city. There is a lovely big square with a market on it. Some nice beers there.

Germany has the nicest beers I've tasted to date.

Had some Italian beer in London over the weekend, it was lovely too.

Used to be a wile Bud drinker, but I'm finding it terribly gassy now, so I'm on the hunt for a new beer.
Testing Accessibility

Harold Disgracey

I was in Denmark over easter, there are some nice beers over there, there are several different varieties of Carlsberg and all much better that the muck you get over here.

German beers are great, the wife has been in Bamberg several times with her work I think she said there are 10 breweries in the city. I think I'd like to visit there some time, I believe they have their own beer festival which is popular with beer connoisseurs.

Like one of the previous posters my favourite American beer is Sam Adams. Bud is piss.

Canalman

Dublin imo is a top city to drink in (even if I am biased in saying so). Tourists seem to love the place and its pubs. The place though has seriously quitened down in the last 5 /10 years or so......... and especially in the last year.

As for the worst, Melbourne isn't great (and I love the place) and Dallas/Houston are useless for pubs. Boston is overrated imo as is Manhattan................ the bars in parts of the Bronx and Queens are better imo.

delboy

This would be my order of preference for those 6.

Bruge -(although other belgian cities would figure higher in my books) for the sheer divesrity of beer and its use in cooking.
Portland - Home to the new wave of very passionate american brewers creating beers that are just bursting with flavour.
London - 700 breweries in the UK making all styles of beer not just fizzy lager.
Munich - Lager but not as we know it over here, the real deal full of flavour compared to the guff we get.
Prague- Czech republic the birthplace of pils.
Dublin - Over-priced mass produced, mass marketed bland beer that you can get anywhere else in the world anyway. 

lynchbhoy

I'd expect London , like Dublin is in there more for the fun of drinking there than the beer.
Def delboy there are some fantastic beers (well def the ales and bitters can be superb) but trying to find a decent pub in london that served decent beer USED to be a nightmare.
Maybe this has changed, but when over there last about 4 years ago, that was the case. Firs pub I went to was full of rubbish lagers. A second pub down the road had wonderful ales on tap ! Others over the weekend I was there were as disappointing as the first.

Sure isnt the fun, experience and craic mostly what ya go for, lets face it, after a handfull of pints, taste goes out the window (in many differeing ways !!)

delboy

Quote from: lynchbhoy on May 25, 2010, 03:20:53 PM
I'd expect London , like Dublin is in there more for the fun of drinking there than the beer.
Def delboy there are some fantastic beers (well def the ales and bitters can be superb) but trying to find a decent pub in london that served decent beer USED to be a nightmare.
Maybe this has changed, but when over there last about 4 years ago, that was the case. Firs pub I went to was full of rubbish lagers. A second pub down the road had wonderful ales on tap ! Others over the weekend I was there were as disappointing as the first.

Sure isnt the fun, experience and craic mostly what ya go for, lets face it, after a handfull of pints, taste goes out the window (in many differeing ways !!)

You'd need to have the camra guide to find the wheat amongst the chaff, I agree with you though that its more about having fun than the beer itself but then it should have been the best 6 party cities rather than the best 6 beer cities.

5 Sams

Quote from: ziggysego on May 25, 2010, 12:52:34 PM

Never been to Bruges, but Antwerp is a lovely city. There is a lovely big square with a market on it. Some nice beers there.

Used to be a wile Bud drinker, but I'm finding it terribly gassy now, so I'm on the hunt for a new beer.

Do yourself a favour....3 bottles for a fiver in Curleys...beautiful stuff..

The Aristocrat Years

muppet

Quote from: delboy on May 25, 2010, 03:01:12 PM

Bruge -(although other belgian cities would figure higher in my books) for the sheer divesrity of beer and its use in cooking.
Portland - Home to the new wave of very passionate american brewers creating beers that are just bursting with flavour.
London - 700 breweries in the UK making all styles of beer not just fizzy lager.
Munich - Lager but not as we know it over here, the real deal full of flavour compared to the guff we get.
Dublin - Over-priced mass produced, mass marketed bland beer that you can get anywhere else in the world anyway.

Plzen was the birthplace of Pils not Prague.

Went to the Pilsner Urquell brewery a few years ago and a good day it was too, though I had a better day at the Budvar Brewery in Ceske Budjevice.  ;D
MWWSI 2017

delboy

Quote from: muppet on May 25, 2010, 10:55:38 PM
Quote from: delboy on May 25, 2010, 03:01:12 PM

Plzen was the birthplace of Pils not Prague.

Went to the Pilsner Urquell brewery a few years ago and a good day it was too, though I had a better day at the Budvar Brewery in Ceske Budjevice.  ;D

I know hence why i opened it up geographically to the czech republic as a whole rather than prague. Of course the boyos over in burton beat them to the title of the first pale beer by quite some time.

Ulick

Quote from: 5 Sams on May 25, 2010, 10:12:06 PM

Fat Monk, gotta be one of my favourite beers. Cloudy as feck and gives an me awful sore head in the mornings. Just like the wife in many respects.

ballinaman

Pub in Brussels that has a menu of 2000 beers....enough said.

http://www.deliriumcafe.be/

Billys Boots

Quote from: ballinaman on May 27, 2010, 12:48:24 AM
Pub in Brussels that has a menu of 2000 beers....enough said.

http://www.deliriumcafe.be/

I've been there, it's a bit of a barn.  There are some great bars and some great beer in Brussels alright.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

stpauls

a man after mt own heart, thought The Vineyard on the Ormeau Road does them at 4 for £6!

ziggysego

Quote from: stpauls on May 27, 2010, 09:35:49 AM

a man after mt own heart, thought The Vineyard on the Ormeau Road does them at 4 for £6!

I feel the gaaboard's first love story is about to begin soon... ;) Though disappointed in you stpauls, you're about to become a father! :P
Testing Accessibility

stpauls

Quote from: ziggysego on May 27, 2010, 09:46:35 AM
I feel the gaaboard's first love story is about to begin soon... ;) Though disappointed in you stpauls, you're about to become a father! :P

it wouldn't last ziggy, he is a Down man, which is a hell of a lot worse than being married to a Tyrone woman!!  :P