Fishing

Started by maddog, August 18, 2009, 10:59:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

maddog

After a bit of local knowledge please folks. I'm at home this weekend and i intend to get in a little bit of sea fishing. This would be from shore or piers. Does anyone know any good spots around Donegal Antrim Down or Louth coastline where you can spin for pollack and bass or use mackerel feathers?

maddog

Quote from: Mac Eoghain on August 18, 2009, 11:02:28 AM
What about Downings or Rathmullen?

Have fished off rathmullen pier as a youngster before. Mate of mine reckons there are some spots away up Malin head that are good, but he's on honeymoon so cant contact him to ask him where they were.

Hardy

Don't know anything really about fishing but Clogherhead pier is a very popular spot - always busy with people fishing and I know they catch mackerel there. The water is pretty deep off the pier, I gather.

maddog

Quote from: Hardy on August 18, 2009, 11:30:46 AM
Don't know anything really about fishing but Clogherhead pier is a very popular spot - always busy with people fishing and I know they catch mackerel there. The water is pretty deep off the pier, I gather.

Cheers Hardy, looked at a couple of pics of it on the net there and it looks like it could be the ticket. Will be more or less driving past it on my way up from Dublin tomorrow so might pull off the motorway and check it out.

maddog

You failed to mention the 2 seals swimming round the harbour looking at the eejit with the fishing rod, i swear they were laughing at me.

Hardy

That's funny - they weren't there when I was last there. That would have been about 1992.

No luck then?

magpie seanie

Going on a bit of deep sea fishing on a stag do next Saturday. I'm thinking we should be good for bait anyway....

stpauls

i remember fishing there with my da on a family holiday one year, used to go to Clogherhead every summer, and he was pulling mackerel in six at a time. me and the 2 brothers, the cubs that we were, decided we would sell the fish at about 25-50 pence a fish, depending on the size. made a couple of punts in change, as it was back then, and that was our spending money in the amusements that evening!!  ;D ;D

Hardy

A fella told me one time that there were so many mackerel in the water at Clogherhead he had to push them out of the way to get a bucket of water.

Nothing as nice as a fresh mackerel. The young fella would usually get a few this time of the year and we'd have them on the plate within an hour. Magic. They're not worth eating the next day. Didn't see any run in the harbour this August, so far.

maddog

Quote from: Hardy on August 25, 2009, 12:40:38 PM
That's funny - they weren't there when I was last there. That would have been about 1992.

No luck then?

No only tried it for half an hour, the guys on the boats were throwing the seals the odd fish or two, id say the mackerel were staying well away. Had intended to get up towards Donegal but the weather was pure cack so the lines stayed dry for the remainder.

HD Ready

Quote from: maddog on August 18, 2009, 10:59:17 AM
After a bit of local knowledge please folks. I'm at home this weekend and i intend to get in a little bit of sea fishing. This would be from shore or piers. Does anyone know any good spots around Donegal Antrim Down or Louth coastline where you can spin for pollack and bass or use mackerel feathers?

Could you not sit on the bridge at the bottom of Dumbreda and cast in, you are a brick to catch something.  ;)

maddog

Quote from: HD Ready on August 25, 2009, 01:10:23 PM
Quote from: maddog on August 18, 2009, 10:59:17 AM

Could you not sit on the bridge at the bottom of Dumbreda and cast in, you are a brick to catch something.  ;)

Is there any fish in the callan anyway ? Shopping trolleys, old bicycles wouldnt be a problem

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Bunbeg harbour, get one of the fellas to take you out behind Gola, still plenty of fish to be had.

Festival over now, but some info for the future.

http://www.donegalseaangling.com/
Tbc....

FL/MAYO

I used to catch a ton of Mackerel of the piers in Killybegs as a young fellow also plenty of Pollock to be had fishing of the rocks outside the harbour. Thats over 20 years ago so not sure if it is as good these days.

mournerambler

Time to resurrect this thread, Boat back in the water on Monday past, hope to land the first catch of the year this weekend, it's been a long winter so here's hoping it's a better year than 2010 regarding sea fishing, won't be long until the mackerel are coming inshore, keep the posts coming.