The IRISH RUGBY thread

Started by Donnellys Hollow, October 27, 2009, 05:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hound

Quote from: Walter Cronc on October 05, 2019, 10:09:54 AM
My initial thought was harsh but on second glance it's technically a red. Unfortunately we have to go through these changes/decisions or lawyers will have it turning into tag rugby.
It was definitely technically a red. Farrell had dipped a fraction, but not enough.

However, if Farrell had committed the exact same tackle on, say, the Argie scrum half, it would have been yellow as they would have said the very slight dip was enough mitigation to reduce it from red.
England had two blatant yellow cards (Sinckler and Tuilagi) that weren't given. Eng, NZ and the Aussies are reffed differently to everyone else. 

Wildweasel74

Wana see dangerous hit on small men Samoa up against Japan now 🤔

grounded

Quote from: Walter Cronc on October 05, 2019, 10:09:54 AM
My initial thought was harsh but on second glance it's technically a red. Unfortunately we have to go through these changes/decisions or lawyers will have it turning into tag rugby.

It was interesting to see how Owens reviewed the tackle on video before giving the red. I think he mentioned the perceived intentions of the tackler and that he hadnt made enough of an effort to go lower and had led with the shoulder.
              What was lost in the video slo mo was the real time speed of the tackle, which all happened in a fraction of a second. The big lock was just too slow to react to Farrell dipping to evade.
              The rugby hierarchy had to respond to the issue of head injury and this was their response.
               Can they bring the sport back to one of evasion rather than collision, without spoiling the spectacle?

grounded

A lot of very dangerous hits also take place around rucks. Players from both sides hitting the opposition rucks where the players are bound with their heads in very vulnerable positions.

Samoa still in with a shot of upsetting the odds here

Solo_run

Samoa would be dangerous if they could pass and hold on to the ball when it matters

Solo_run

I'm beginning to think this WC is a fix.

World Rugby has come out this week and said the penalties against Ireland in Japan shouldn't have been given.

I'm the match against Samoa

1) Samoa knew they were going to be able to do nothing from their own 5 yard line.

2) A crooked feed into the scrum giving Japan the scrum resulting in the try.

Wildweasel74

Have seen a straight line feed in yrs, used to be you could see the hooker fight to tap the ball bck, Ruck clear outs more dangerous than accidental high tackles. Many player lying with head down and men running in with shoulders to clean out rucks.

grounded

Quote from: Solo_run on October 05, 2019, 01:28:21 PM

World Rugby has come out this week and said the penalties against Ireland in Japan shouldn't have been given.

1) Samoa knew they were going to be able to do nothing from their own 5 yard line.

An absolutely bizarre decision by Samoa to scrum under their own posts after being under pressure in the previous scrums. 

Was the penalty for a crooked feed? Cant remember the last time ive even seen a call for that.  Or was it for no attempt to hook? I didnt hear his reasoning.

Anyway, its entirely Ireland's own fault for the position we are in. Took the Japanese challenge too lightly and paid for it.

I think that win means Japan can still loose against scotland and qualify provided they get a loosing bonus point? I assume Ireland have to win with a bonus point to ensure they qualify?

shark

Quote from: grounded on October 05, 2019, 01:51:34 PM
Quote from: Solo_run on October 05, 2019, 01:28:21 PM

An absolutely bizarre decision by Samoa to scrum under their own posts after being under pressure in the previous scrums. 

Was the penalty for a crooked feed? Cant remember the last time ive even seen a call for that.  Or was it for no attempt to hook? I didnt hear his reasoning.

Anyway, its entirely Ireland's own fault for the position we are in. Took the Japanese challenge too lightly and paid for it.

I think that win means Japan can still loose against scotland and qualify provided they get a loosing bonus point? I assume Ireland have to win with a bonus point to ensure they qualify?

If Ireland win with a bonus point then Japan would need to win, or lose with 2 bonus points, to finish 1st. If Ireland win without a bonus point then will only be in trouble if Scotland win with bonus and Japan are within 7. All 3 would be on same points.

Taylor

Typhoon Hagibis could yet put Ireland out.

If the typhoon causes Saturdays game to be cancelled and it isnt rescheduled to the Sunday then the game is declared a draw and Ireland are out  :-\

Hound

Quote from: Taylor on October 07, 2019, 10:27:34 AM

If the typhoon causes Saturdays game to be cancelled and it isnt rescheduled to the Sunday then the game is declared a draw and Ireland are out  :-\
If Japan beat Scotland, we'd still be 2nd !

Taylor

Quote from: Hound on October 07, 2019, 10:41:38 AM
Quote from: Taylor on October 07, 2019, 10:27:34 AM

If Japan beat Scotland, we'd still be 2nd !

Apologies Hound - you are correct - we could be put out...........

screenexile

Another red card in the Canada Boks game... have to say I thought that one was very harsh!!

Tony Baloney

Quote from: screenexile on October 08, 2019, 12:00:09 PM
Another red card in the Canada Boks game... have to say I thought that one was very harsh!!
It was a cheap shot and got what it deserved. A side-on shoulder to the head/neck of a blindsided player is as clear a red card as you'll see.

Watch it again:
https://www.sarugbymag.co.za/watch-larsens-red-card/