The IRISH RUGBY thread

Started by Donnellys Hollow, October 27, 2009, 05:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JPGJOHNNYG

^^^^ Hillarious so they are moaning about a try that was given anyway and yes technically Sextons tackle was high but it was not dangerous are they seriously comparing it to the actual very dangerous tackles on Zebo and Henshaw.
Secondly the ball is only stripped if taken cleanly the fact he fumbled forward quite clearly means it WAS a knock on. Finally Trimble has every right to go for that ball there is huge differnce between trying an intercept and a deliberate knock on if you cant tell the difference then I give up. As I said before though we should stop moaning as NZ ALWAYS play like this so why the surprise. If the ref lets them off with murder then you almost need your own enforcer to sort things out. Ireland lost because they made a mess of their line out, evrey time they were close to the line they lost the line out or won it but then quickly dropped the ball or committed a penalty - basic mistakes on moves which should be well drilled by now - disapointing stuff because nearly every other part of the game was perfect

JPGJOHNNYG

ps the NZ team are head and shoulders better than every other team in the world they are the only team that can afford to play the game fairly the fact they choose to push the rules to the limits and beyond just goes to show how important winning is for them something we should learn from them prior to the next world cup instead of turning up against a poor Argentine team in a QF about to make history and then bottle it big time.

Applesisapples

New Zealand are the Dublin of Rugby and Bomber the Tony of Tyrone.

Walter Cronc

Apart from the Sexton high tackle and possibly the Trimble 'knock on' I don't think NZ can have too many gripes. Trimble made an attempt to gather the ball with his other hand which probably saved him. It's one of those 'I've seen them given' kinda decisions regarding a yellow card/penalty try.

If anyone wants great analysis follow this guy

https://twitter.com/murray_kinsella?lang=en

seafoid

Walter Cronc

Quote from: AQMP on November 21, 2016, 09:42:55 AM
Quote from: muppet on November 21, 2016, 01:21:53 AM
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11751991

The Kiwis reckoned they were hard done by.

Any comment from the lads who know their rugby?

...The Irish hinted that they felt Peyper had let them down. But as much as it may have looked - home crowd reaction always influences the perception - that Ireland had been hard done by, so too can the All Blacks mount a strong case to say they didn't have much go their way.

The tackle Johnny Sexton made to try to stop Barrett's try was high and dangerous. If Barrett had been judged not to have scored, it would most likely have been a penalty try in any case with Sexton being shown a yellow card.

Barrett scored a second try in the first half that was disallowed for a supposed knock-on - but the interpretation could just as easily and perhaps should have been that Irish first-five Paddy Jackson was stripped of the ball and the correct decision would have been play-on...try New Zealand.

And what about the knock-on by Andrew Trimble when Barrett chipped into the clear and passed to Israel Dagg?

In Super Rugby the knock-on would have been adjudged deliberate and the outcome either a penalty, or a penalty try in this case as Dagg would have been in the clear and probably would have scored. It also would have been a yellow card for Trimble...

Not saying I know my rugby here muppet, as at the time I thought Cane's tackle on Henshaw was OK but I see he's been cited.

That was a high tackle by Sexton and and probably a case for a penalty try, but anyway I think Barrett did get some of the ball down.

There was a fumble by Barrett at the strip but it seems to hinge on whether the ref thought he was in control of the ball or not.  In control - play on, not in control - knock on.

Deliberate knock on by Trimble - yellow card and a case for a penalty try.

Just to add - Fekitoa on Zebo - as clear a red as you'll see this autumn!

I'd agree with the Cane tackle. At the time I thought it wasnt a yellow.

Check the first tweet on this page. Dirty shot by Dane Coles who was after Murray all game!!

https://twitter.com/dementedmole?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor

Jim_Murphy_74

My beef would be with the referee really.  He didn't seem to have that kind of control that likes of Owens would have.

New Zealand are a good team who play on the edge and play the referee.  Like Kilkenny in the hurling.  They will do what they are let do.

I have watched Henshaw tackle a good few times.  I don't see head to head clash.  I see a shoulder hitting Henshaw's head.  That is a red card regardless of intent.  That is not a comment on Cane being dirty but it is a comment on the referee not implementing the rules.

I think that Fekitoa tackle on Zebo was dirty and a red. In GAA it would be a clothesline. 

As for their gripes:  If Sexton saved a try, it was still a penalty try.  Trimble one is a fifty/fifty, a bit like black card in GAA it's up to ref to judge intent.  If he went with penalty there he would have been hard pushed to not give a penalty try.

Barrett on Jackson was interesting too.  Some refs would not say that Barrett knocked on but that tackling Jackson caused the ball to go forward.

Best advice is to follow Joe Schmidt's example, stay quiet and do your talking behind closed doors.

Bad day out for Peyper  all the same.

/Jim.

seafoid

I was talking to a Sith African yesterday
He didn't know the Italian coach was Irish

He said 2 things about the ABs

1. It was an amazing achievement to beat them. The whole rugby world took notice of it
2 They absoluitely had to win the second match . Nobody fucks with the ABs twice

Walter Cronc

Another key one which was missed was Barrett not releasing O'Brien when he made the tackle. Again you cant really blame Barrett in that situation, he was desperate to prevent the score and done fantastic getting back but Peyper definitely missed it!

AZOffaly

Quote from: AQMP on November 21, 2016, 09:42:55 AM
Quote from: muppet on November 21, 2016, 01:21:53 AM
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11751991

The Kiwis reckoned they were hard done by.

Any comment from the lads who know their rugby?

...The Irish hinted that they felt Peyper had let them down. But as much as it may have looked - home crowd reaction always influences the perception - that Ireland had been hard done by, so too can the All Blacks mount a strong case to say they didn't have much go their way.

The tackle Johnny Sexton made to try to stop Barrett's try was high and dangerous. If Barrett had been judged not to have scored, it would most likely have been a penalty try in any case with Sexton being shown a yellow card.

Barrett scored a second try in the first half that was disallowed for a supposed knock-on - but the interpretation could just as easily and perhaps should have been that Irish first-five Paddy Jackson was stripped of the ball and the correct decision would have been play-on...try New Zealand.

And what about the knock-on by Andrew Trimble when Barrett chipped into the clear and passed to Israel Dagg?

In Super Rugby the knock-on would have been adjudged deliberate and the outcome either a penalty, or a penalty try in this case as Dagg would have been in the clear and probably would have scored. It also would have been a yellow card for Trimble...

Not saying I know my rugby here muppet, as at the time I thought Cane's tackle on Henshaw was OK but I see he's been cited.

That was a high tackle by Sexton and and probably a case for a penalty try, but anyway I think Barrett did get some of the ball down.

There was a fumble by Barrett at the strip but it seems to hinge on whether the ref thought he was in control of the ball or not.  In control - play on, not in control - knock on.

Deliberate knock on by Trimble - yellow card and a case for a penalty try.

Just to add - Fekitoa on Zebo - as clear a red as you'll see this autumn!

I reckon it would have been harsh on Trimble to see that as deliberate. I think he was obviously trying an intercept. His hands were coming up in a catching motion rather than coming down in a slapping down motion.

Agree on the Zebo one. That was a swinging arm and could have knocked him out.

There is some whinging going on about the other tackles though.

sid waddell

GAA chief recovering in hospital after collapsing during fit of laughing

By Rinty McBandwagon, irishrugbynews.com, November 21st, 2016

GAA Director General Paraic Duffy is this morning recovering in hospital after dramatically collapsing during a fit of laughing. The Ard-Stiurthoir is said to have "keeled over" during a committee meeting held to discuss Ireland's bid to host the 2023 Rugby World Cup.

A committee source who was present at the meeting said "we were discussing the Rugby World Cup bid and how it would affect the GAA, given that eight of our stadiums are included in the bid. As the delegate from Mayo was speaking about possibly having to find alternative venues to Castlebar for club championship matches in 2023, Paraic suddenly burst into an uncontrollable fit of laughter. The meeting came to a standstill."

"He blurted out "they're goin' to pay, the rugby eejits, they're goin' to pay for our stadiums, they're goin' to pay for everything" as he laughed uncontrollably, and then took out a wad of cash and threw it up in the air".

Duffy then apparently shouted "we're fuckin' rich, lads, we're fuckin' loaded, I'm tellin' ya! The fuckin' stupid West Brits have more money than sense! We're goin' to take them for every last fuckin' penny they're worth!"

The source also described how Duffy then took to the centre of the floor, dancing and shouting "we're rich! Loads and loads of money!" amidst more bouts of copious, uncontrolled laughter, before collapsing in a heap and passing out.

An ambulance was called and Mr. Duffy was taken to the nearby Mater Hospital where he was kept in overnight for observation. He is expected to be released today.

While it is thought the incident was a minor one and poses no risk to Mr. Duffy's medium or long term health, he has been told to "calm down" by doctors.

The Ireland Rugby World Cup 2023 Official Bid Committee this morning released a statement wishing Mr. Duffy well. "We are sorry to hear of Paraic Duffy's health episode, and wish him a full and speedy recovery. We look forward to working closely with him again in the very near future as the bid progresses", said the statement.

AZOffaly

Last paragraph should have said 'We are working with Mr. Duffy's health insurance to cover his premiums for the duration of the World Cup Bid Process and beyond, in the event of any more rugby related incidents'.

sid waddell

Quote from: AZOffaly on November 21, 2016, 11:50:28 AM
Last paragraph should have said 'We are working with Mr. Duffy's health insurance to cover his premiums for the duration of the World Cup Bid Process and beyond, in the event of any more rugby related incidents'.
Mr. Duffy and other committee members last week received free lifetime health insurance from AVIVA™ Ltd. as part of the deal for the bid.

They're paying for everything.

Maroon Manc

Quote from: Walter Cronc on November 20, 2016, 07:41:34 PM
Quote from: Maroon Manc on November 20, 2016, 06:41:24 PM
Quote from: Walter Cronc on November 20, 2016, 06:34:52 PM
A lot of irish supporters doing serious crying on social media. Most would fall into the bandwagon support. Yes New Zealand played on the edge but I wouldn't say they were overly dirty. Cynical yes but not dirty. If Kane and Fekitoa are to be cited then surely Sexton has to be for his high tackle on Barrett.

Going to be an interesting selection ahead of the NZ game.

The problem is someone like me with limited knowledge of the sport is relying on the commentary and listening to the lads on SKY you'd think the ref and TMO were appalling.

Don't mean to be condescending MM. Fans come with all levels and I'm no expert for sure. Just think it's symptomatic in all sports nowadays. Looking to pass the blame off to someone else. We had opportunities we didn't take them. Simple as.

No offence taken at all, I agree.

I'd never heard of Van Der Flier up until a few weeks ago but was very impressed on Saturday. Ireland appear well stocked in that department.

tonto1888

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on November 20, 2016, 01:28:38 PM
Quote from: Frank_The_Tank on November 20, 2016, 12:41:21 PM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on November 20, 2016, 10:57:09 AM
Quote from: Frank_The_Tank on November 20, 2016, 10:32:09 AM
Quote from: Walter Cronc on November 20, 2016, 10:28:24 AM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on November 20, 2016, 10:21:38 AM
Quote from: manfromdelmonte on November 20, 2016, 10:15:57 AM
A sport where one team decided to take the opponents out of the game, caused injuries and weren't penalised?

Why would a parent encourage their child to play this game?

Incidentally, how many players were concussed yesterday?

How do you know there were players concussed?

You should just ignore this bigot folks.  Let him rant away but don't reply.  Its pointless trying to argue with an idiot- years of experience will mean they will come out in top.

I think it's pointless trying to argue against facts, that is why you guys are left clutching at empty insults like "bigots".

You also come out with a whole load of statements which have zero factual basis e.g you stated last week housewife viewing figures for rugby were through the roof?  You pick and choose what you want to reply too.  Your an idiot IMO.  You may think the same about me...i couldnt care less.  But no matter about all your facts which I dont dispute you dont seem to grasp that you are not going to change my opinion on rugby and I would say its the same for everyone else on here who enjoys the sport.

Why do you constantly cone on a thread where 95% of people want to talk about the game in a positive light without your constsnt slating of it.  Cant you not create a I Hate Rugby thread for that?

The fact 4 women were interviewed coming out of the stadium on RTE news yesterday gives my point on housewives credence. They also blamed the referee.

did they state they were housewives?