The IRISH RUGBY thread

Started by Donnellys Hollow, October 27, 2009, 05:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walter Cronc

What do the Munster men on the board think of the Erasmus appointment? Surely Foleys position will become untenable and he'll step aside?

AZOffaly

It looks that way. I don't know much about him, other than I spent half my college life leering at Erasmus students, so hopefully that's a good sign. Foley seems to be fatally undermined by this, you would have to say, but if he is content with essentially being an assistant, and learning, maybe it will work out for him. It would be a big blow to a proud man's ego though.

I am disappointed by reports that Conor O'Shea wasn't at least approached. That's the appointment I'd have liked to see.

Walter Cronc

Yeah O'Shea was my preferred option as I saw him potentially as an Irish coach long term. Taking the Italy job is a massive gamble for O'Shea. If he does well then you'd think he may get the Ireland gig. If he doesn't then he could struggle to even get a club side, much like the way Stuart Lancaster has went.

I think Munster could become a somewhat outpost for South Africans now. Erasmus was heavily involved in developing youth within South Africa. You could see a few more of these 'project players' arrive in Limerick.

AZOffaly

We were that way for New Zealand for a few years. Why not try South Africa. Actually, I take that back, the South African sporting regime is one I find very, very hard to like. It's very Afrikaans still, and I just don't like them. I think I'll just boo Erasmus non stop instead :)

Walter Cronc

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 27, 2016, 10:15:26 AM
We were that way for New Zealand for a few years. Why not try South Africa. Actually, I take that back, the South African sporting regime is one I find very, very hard to like. It's very Afrikaans still, and I just don't like them. I think I'll just boo Erasmus non stop instead :)

I get what you mean, a hard outfit to like but I dont necessarily agree on the quota system thats employed. Surely its about picking the best players, irrespective of colour. More money should be sent towards the townships to develop the game. I'm sure its a political minefield that few of us know much about.

AZOffaly

It's their attitude in general, not the apatheid hangover that bothers me. They are Boers and Bores. Although CJ Stander seems like a genuinely nice guy, too many others seem arrogant and condescending to me.  I don't like South African Afrikaans :)

Dinny Breen

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 27, 2016, 10:25:12 AM
It's their attitude in general, not the apatheid hangover that bothers me. They are Boers and Bores. Although CJ Stander seems like a genuinely nice guy, too many others seem arrogant and condescending to me.  I don't like South African Afrikaans :)

Racist!
#newbridgeornowhere

Dinny Breen

On paper great appointment, looking forward to seeing a new Munster develop hopefully with a more humble fan base.

Foley has a massive ego he will be gone in the summer, say Rob Penney has had a wry smile at how it was all handled.

The DOR model seems to be the way forward, first Ulster now Munster. Has David Nucifora'sd paw prints all over it, seemingly there is now a massive disconnect between the amateur side and the professional side of the game, so much that amatuer side having given Nucifora a vote of no confidence. This is primarily around how he his trying to structure the club game and player pathways.
#newbridgeornowhere

Walter Cronc

I see Cian Kelleher has agreed to join Connacht. Apparently Leinster not happy as the IRFU pushed for him to make the move against their wishes.

Crete Boom

Quote from: Walter Cronc on May 03, 2016, 01:13:26 PM
I see Cian Kelleher has agreed to join Connacht. Apparently Leinster not happy as the IRFU pushed for him to make the move against their wishes.

Doesn't look like a push by IRFU. Kelleher had a choice between a development contract at Leinster and a full  two year deal contract at Connacht.(There is a rumour though that Leinster might not have been allowed offer a full contract!) To the annoyance of Leinster he chose a full contract ( more money) at Connacht.This move has been well flagged on the grapevine in Connacht for a couple of months now as I am sure it was in Leinster.

Leinster are raging behind the scenes as they think Willie Ruane , Nigel Carolan and Pat Lam have tapped him up as they have had their eye on him for about a year now but while it is poaching talent from Leinster rugby , might not benefit Ireland rugby or Kelleher in the long run , Cian will make more money in the next 2 years , have a better opportunity to play next season and have a bigger payday down the line if he performs well and it certainly benefits Connacht in the short term.

Normally the only Leinster/Munster uderage players that head west are unwanted or unknown of in the leinster/Munster system and certainly not a player on the rise through the ranks so it is probably a bit of a shock for them.

Walter Cronc

I think it can only be a good thing and I'd like to see more of it. Certainly Dom Ryan and Jordi Murphy could be better placed at Ulster rather than scraping as back up at Leinster. Player development and balance between provinces has to be the key.

The Chiefs and Highlanders have went from perennial whipping boys in NZ to the two top sides with additions such as Kieran Reid and so forth.

Crete Boom

Quote from: Walter Cronc on May 03, 2016, 02:32:14 PM
I think it can only be a good thing and I'd like to see more of it. Certainly Dom Ryan and Jordi Murphy could be better placed at Ulster rather than scraping as back up at Leinster. Player development and balance between provinces has to be the key.

The Chiefs and Highlanders have went from perennial whipping boys in NZ to the two top sides with additions such as Kieran Reid and so forth.

Yeah but Leinster don't want to give up future stars just because they have better depth than Connacht which is what Kelleher at this stage of his development is considered to be as opposed to admirable squad players that might have plateaued in terms of talent like say Darragh Fanning or Dominic Ryan that have academy talent waiting in the wings as replacements that are probably as good as them anyway!!

So while Connacht will be delighted you can see why Leinster would be pissed off with this move and will want to make sure it is a once off!!

ashman

Decent game tonight .  Ulster making a huge amount of errors.

Walter Cronc

Great win for Connacht. Hopefully they can finish in style now!

Walter Cronc

Ireland squad for tour of South Africa selected. No Zebo, Tommy O'Donnell, Madigan or McCloskey.

Forwards (18)
Finlay Bealham (Corinthians/Connacht)
Rory Best (Banbridge/Ulster) (c)
Sean Cronin (St Marys/Leinster)
Ultan Dillane (Corinthians/Connacht)
Tadhg Furlong (Clontarf/Leinster)
Jamie Heaslip (Dublin University/Leinster) (vc)
Iain Henderson (Ballynahinch/Ulster)
David Kilcoyne (UL Bohemians/Munster)
Jack McGrath (St Marys/Leinster)
Jordi Murphy (Lansdowne/Leinster)
Sean Reidy (Belfast Harlequins/Ulster)
Mike Ross (Clontarf/Leinster)
Quinn Roux (Galwegians/Connacht)
Rhys Ruddock (St Marys/Leinster)
Donnacha Ryan (Shannon/Munster)
CJ Stander (Munster)
Richardt Strauss (Old Wesley/Leinster)
Devin Toner (Lansdowne/Leinster)

Backs (14)
Keith Earls (Young Munster/Munster)
Luke Fitzgerald (Blackrock/Leinster)
Robbie Henshaw (Buccaneers/Connacht)
Paddy Jackson (Dungannon/Ulster)
David Kearney (Lansdowne/Leinster)
Rob Kearney (UCD/Leinster)
Kieran Marmion (Corinthians/Connacht)
Luke Marshall (Ballymena/Ulster)
Conor Murray (Garryowen/Munster)
Stuart Olding (Belfast Harlequins/Ulster)
Jared Payne (Ulster)
Eoin Reddan (Old Crescent/Leinster)
Jonathan Sexton (St Marys/Leinster)
Andrew Trimble (Ballymena/Ulster)