The IRISH RUGBY thread

Started by Donnellys Hollow, October 27, 2009, 05:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

screenexile

Just a super effort... Kept it much tighter second half which negated the Aussies. Let them play and they'll destroy you!!

Well done to all a superb Autumns work!!

SHEEDY

Great match. Unbelieveable heart and desire from ireland at the death.
nil satis nisi optimum

Walter Cronc

Superb defence from Ireland. Beating Australia whilst far from our best shows how far we have come. Plenty of work ahead but plenty of positives.

INDIANA

Be nice to see the outhalf throw a pass to his backs an odd time. Great win but its pure mule to watch

Syferus

Quote from: INDIANA on November 22, 2014, 06:29:30 PM
Be nice to see the outhalf throw a pass to his backs an odd time. Great win but its pure mule to watch

Not even close.

Sidney

The RTE rhooogby team really outdid themselves with the bluster and bullshit this evening. "What an execution of a drop goal from Ireland's full back." The Kearnivore actually missed, Ryle.

"Execution" was Ryle's buzzword of the evening. You'd nearly have thought there was more "execution" going on in this match than in Iraq and Syria combined. But we've heard water charges protesters compared to ISIS this week, so perhaps Ryle's comments captured the zeitgeist of the times.

"They spend a lot of time training with each other", said Donal Lenihan about the Qantas Wallabies. Interesting innovation in terms of preparation, that, and I don't know why other teams don't think doing it.

Lenihan then stated that he thought that he thought Jonny Sexton would never get up again after a tackle in the Team Volvo NSW Waratahs - British Loins match last year. I think he may have been exaggerating, although you never can tell.

But Ryle definitely exaggerated a few seconds later when he called the Aussie chap who made that tackle and who had just come on as a sub, "a wrecking ball" and "an entire front five". The chap who made that tackle is not a wrecking ball or an an entire "front five". If he was, the Aussies would have picked four more backs and dropped the rest of their front row and second row.

Shane "Shaggy" Horgan went all matrimonial after the match when he said "Australia need to marry the way they play the game, and so do Ireland. We saw a very good marriage from Ireland in the second half."

George Hook then summed up the warrior-like nature of these, well, warriors, as only he can when he roaaaared: "What makes rugby the greatest game played on earth, is that unlike Gaelic football or soccer or hockey or American football, at the end of it it relies on the courage, character and commitment of MENNNN." The Irish women's team will be seething.

The Guinness ad at half-time also laid on generous portions of bluster . Two things that were wrong about that ad immediately spring to mind:
i) The historical inaccuracy of the implication that a (second string) New Zealand player was killed by a tackle from a Munster player in 1978. That player is in fact still alive.
ii) The glorification of the idea of killing somebody with a rugby tackle - if that's the culture that pervades this deviant pursuit, it's no wonder conscientious parents are steering their children away from it in their droves.

Nevertheless I'm gutted for my beloved Qantas Wallabies, Coach Cheika, and Tallaght native, Qantas CEO Alan Joyce, that the boys have lost this prestigious Autumn international (played in winter).

INDIANA

Quote from: Sidney on November 22, 2014, 07:24:45 PM
The RTE rhooogby team really outdid themselves with the bluster and bullshit this evening. "What an execution of a drop goal from Ireland's full back." The Kearnivore actually missed, Ryle.

"Execution" was Ryle's buzzword of the evening. You'd nearly have thought there was more "execution" going on in this match than in Iraq and Syria combined. But we've heard water charges protesters compared to ISIS this week, so perhaps Ryle's comments captured the zeitgeist of the times.

"They spend a lot of time training with each other", said Donal Lenihan about the Qantas Wallabies. Interesting innovation in terms of preparation, that, and I don't know why other teams don't think doing it.

Lenihan then stated that he thought that he thought Jonny Sexton would never get up again after a tackle in the Team Volvo NSW Waratahs - British Loins match last year. I think he may have been exaggerating, although you never can tell.

But Ryle definitely exaggerated a few seconds later when he called the Aussie chap who made that tackle and who had just come on as a sub, "a wrecking ball" and "an entire front five". The chap who made that tackle is not a wrecking ball or an an entire "front five". If he was, the Aussies would have picked four more backs and dropped the rest of their front row and second row.

Shane "Shaggy" Horgan went all matrimonial after the match when he said "Australia need to marry the way they play the game, and so do Ireland. We saw a very good marriage from Ireland in the second half."

George Hook then summed up the warrior-like nature of these, well, warriors, as only he can when he roaaaared: "What makes rugby the greatest game played on earth, is that unlike Gaelic football or soccer or hockey or American football, at the end of it it relies on the courage, character and commitment of MENNNN." The Irish women's team will be seething.

The Guinness ad at half-time also laid on generous portions of bluster . Two things that were wrong about that ad immediately spring to mind:
i) The historical inaccuracy of the implication that a (second string) New Zealand player was killed by a tackle from a Munster player in 1978. That player is in fact still alive.
ii) The glorification of the idea of killing somebody with a rugby tackle - if that's the culture that pervades this deviant pursuit, it's no wonder conscientious parents are steering their children away from it in their droves.

Nevertheless I'm gutted for my beloved Qantas Wallabies, Coach Cheika, and Tallaght native, Qantas CEO Alan Joyce, that the boys have lost this prestigious Autumn international (played in winter).

In GAA land these games are challenge matches. Thats their value

Syferus

Quote from: INDIANA on November 22, 2014, 07:30:28 PM

In a fair number of years we only play 7 meaningful international matches a calendar year. Even when we play SA/AUS/NZ in summer tours the total is rarely greater than 10. To compare a test match between two top four teams to the challenge match is ridiculous.

INDIANA

Quote from: Syferus on November 22, 2014, 07:36:17 PM

In a fair number of years we only play 7 meaningful international matches a calendar year. Even when we play SA/AUS/NZ in summer tours the total is rarely greater than 10. To compare a test match between two top four teams to the challenge match is ridiculous.

What was the name of the trophy awarded today? I missed that bit

Syferus

Quote from: INDIANA on November 22, 2014, 07:39:23 PM
Quote from: Syferus on November 22, 2014, 07:36:17 PM

What do England and Aus play for in the biggest cricket international match series in the world? A bit of ashes from a cricket bat? If they started toting up points for these Autumn internationals would it have any extra meaning?

The defining factor is that both sides take the matches very seriously.

Sidney

The very prestigious Lansdowne Cup.

Syferus

http://www.espn.co.uk/ireland/rugby/story/248753.html

Schmidt was grinding through suspected appendicitis until the match was over. We definitely got the right man for the job.

INDIANA

Quote from: Sidney on November 22, 2014, 07:47:14 PM

The very prestigious Lansdowne Cup.

I'm sure they'll toast out of it in Krystle later. When they actually win something let me know.  Its a rarity.

I've never seen such mediocrity celebrated!

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Syferus on November 22, 2014, 08:44:12 PM
http://www.espn.co.uk/ireland/rugby/story/248753.html

Schmidt was grinding through suspected appendicitis until the match was over. We definitely got the right man for the job.

Huzzah, all hail Sir Schmidt, Lord of Landsdowne!!  You must be delighted in your role in picking him Syferus?

Walter Cronc

I do admire the anti rugby brigade and their secret knowledge of the game!  :-*