Connaght Strongest province in ireland

Started by irish345, February 26, 2019, 09:25:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

irish345

Could this point be made as connaght have 3 teams in division 1 thats 60 percent of their teams and you could say leinster is weak and dublin have it easy in the championship every year

seafoid

Quote from: irish345 on February 26, 2019, 09:25:34 AM
Could this point be made as connaght have 3 teams in division 1 thats 60 percent of their teams and you could say leinster is weak and dublin have it easy in the championship every year
Leinster would need 7 teams in Division 1 to reach 60% so it shows you how fantastic Connacht are, really
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Rossfan

You might spell it correctly first.
CONNACHT.
After last weekend  we're not.
Only Laythrum won.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Aaron Boone

Any county in Div 1 can aspire to win the AI, so it's conceivable that Sam will be crossing  the Shannon in late August.

Rossfan

If those crowd West of us win let's hope they fly home with it.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Baile Brigín 2

Teams from the other 3 provinces have won sam and the league since either went west.

sligoman2

I don't want to talk about this right now.  Can I get back to you later?
:-[ :-[ :-[ :-[
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

larryin89

It's just selective nonsense really , all three teams a million miles from Dublin. Kerry I suspect starting to widen the gap of the chasing pack also as number two. Galway possibly have potential but under Walsh they will not succeed . His style is ridiculous with such an abundance of skillful attacking footballers.
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Blowitupref

Quote from: larryin89 on February 26, 2019, 05:30:50 PM
It's just selective nonsense really , all three teams a million miles from Dublin and Kerry I suspect starting to widen the gap of the chasing pack also as number two. Galway possibly have potential but under Walsh they will not succeed . His style is ridiculous with such an abundance of skillful attacking footballers.

How are Galway "million miles" from Kerry? they beat them twice last year and only lost by one point at the weekend in a game that could have went either way and Mayo are well capable of beating Kerry in a few weeks.

On Galway's style i think a few people forget where Galway was before Walsh arrived, He has won a few Connacht titles for them after a barren spell, led them to All Ireland semi final and NFL final. The jury is out if they will succeed much more with a offensive minded manager.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

An Fhairche Abu

I read it that he means that Dublin are a million miles ahead and that Kerry aren't as of yet but are going to widen the gap between themselves and the rest of the pack.
He's correct about Dublin but we'll have to wait and see on Kerry, I'm not jumping on that hype train just yet.

Blowitupref

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on February 26, 2019, 07:36:17 PM
I read it that he means that Dublin are a million miles ahead and that Kerry aren't as of yet but are going to widen the gap between themselves and the rest of the pack.
He's correct about Dublin but we'll have to wait and see on Kerry, I'm not jumping on that hype train just yet.

Yes he has since edited his post with a full stop after Dublin. Very much a wait and see on Kerry though the potential is there and getting Buckley back is a major boost.

Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

larryin89

Kerry are number two imo now , last year is irrelevant to Kerry , it's just my opinion and they will have to prove it . They have the belief , they have some top class players who are  young, sppedy, accurate  and ambition doesn't come into it , its second nature to them . Most likely a year too early yet but they only county I think who have the credentials to replace Dublin as kings  . Rest are pissing against the wind for the foreseeable, Galway like I said would have fighting chance if they rid themselves of Walsh again it's just my opinion .but I do have reservations over the whole Galway set up, far too much clapping on the back over beating Mayo last three years, big deal like , mayo are going backwards since 2016 albeit put in a great shift in 17 final.
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

TheClubman

Quote from: Blowitupref on February 26, 2019, 06:55:34 PM
It's just selective nonsense really , all three teams a million miles from Dublin and Kerry I suspect starting to widen the gap of the chasing pack also as number two. Galway possibly have potential but under Walsh they will not succeed . His style is ridiculous with such an abundance of skillful attacking footballers.

How are Galway "million miles" from Kerry? they beat them twice last year and only lost by one point at the weekend in a game that could have went either way and Mayo are well capable of beating Kerry in a few weeks.

On Galway's style i think a few people forget where Galway was before Walsh arrived, He has won a few Connacht titles for them after a barren spell, led them to All Ireland semi final and NFL final. The jury is out if they will succeed much more with a offensive minded manager.

List me all the teams that have won All Ireland's playing this style? I'll save you the bother - it's one. Also the number of times a team playing this style have beaten Dublin. And the likelyhood of this happening again is very remote. Its a scandal with the attacking players Galway have a more balanced approach can't be taken but that's what you get with poor coaches - the easy way out.

An Fhairche Abu

Quote from: TheClubman on February 27, 2019, 11:29:45 AM

List me all the teams that have won All Ireland's playing this style? I'll save you the bother - it's one. Also the number of times a team playing this style have beaten Dublin. And the likelyhood of this happening again is very remote. Its a scandal with the attacking players Galway have a more balanced approach can't be taken but that's what you get with poor coaches - the easy way out.

Galway's forwards are getting hype that isn't in line with what I've seen on the pitch for the last few years, they require far too many opportunities to put up a winning total, the conversion rate - particularly around goal chances - just isn't good enough. Perhaps this could be blamed on the rigidity of the system (which I certainly think has to be adjusted for the championship and your point that it won't beat Dublin is hard to refute) to an extent but honestly the issue is with the players themselves given some of the elementary chances that are being missed, enough chances are being created even within the system.

IMO the two biggest issues Galway currently have are: 1. the HB line is not up to top level inter county standard and 2. the conversion rate in front of the posts isn't near good enough. Until those issues are rectified then I don't see how this Galway team will progress any further regardless of the system employed.

Maroon Manc

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on February 27, 2019, 12:47:37 PM
Quote from: TheClubman on February 27, 2019, 11:29:45 AM

Galway's forwards are getting hype that isn't in line with what I've seen on the pitch for the last few years, they require far too many opportunities to put up a winning total, the conversion rate - particularly around goal chances - just isn't good enough. Perhaps this could be blamed on the rigidity of the system (which I certainly think has to be adjusted for the championship and your point that it won't beat Dublin is hard to refute) to an extent but honestly the issue is with the players themselves given some of the elementary chances that are being missed, enough chances are being created even within the system.

IMO the two biggest issues Galway currently have are: 1. the HB line is not up to top level inter county standard and 2. the conversion rate in front of the posts isn't near good enough. Until those issues are rectified then I don't see how this Galway team will progress any further regardless of the system employed.

I agree to an extent about the forwards, they missed far too much last summer but I'm hoping that if Walsh, McDaid, Daly, Burke & Walsh can all get on the same pitch that we'd see an improvement in front of the posts. Comer & Walsh can produce that bit of individuality to get a score out of nothing that only a few forwards can produce. Taking the right option and been patient was certainly an issue against the Dubs in the 1st half last summer. Comer missed easy goal chances against Kildare & Dublin, all he had to do was pass to his team mate next to him and they'd have stuck it in the empty net. McDaid will be an upgrade over Brannigan, offers far more of a scoring threat; Brannigan had an average championship last summer after having a great league. His strike rate from outside the D is poor, he's still only 22 in fairness so has time to improve.

The half back line is very frustrating, playing on a smaller pitch against Mayo on saturday night will help them but the lack of pace around that middle 3rd is killing Galway at the moment. I'm hoping that one of Molloy/Wall or John Daly forces their way in come the summer alongside Sean Kelly & Bradshaw although I think he'll go with Liam Silke instead of him replacing Kyne. Silke is a brilliant man marker as we seen recently against McNelis. Bradshaw gets far too much stick, his role is very important; He picks up a lot of breaking ball and has the habit of being in the right place to make interceptions, don't see him making too many fouls either.

Once Galway have everyone fit its an impressive panel.