No
37 (20.7%)
Not sure
16 (8.9%)

Total Members Voted: 179

Voting closed: July 31, 2018, 12:59:52 PM

trailer

Quote from: Syferus on July 26, 2018, 12:58:25 AM
This thread is having the unintended consequence of proving that some of the horrible stereotypes about the GAA are very much in some of the vocal minority trying to find a hundred whatabputisms to absolve the GAA of terrible behaviour around a fûcking charity match. If you are so myopic you have to pin your hatred of other sports on your chest, have the good sense not to die on this particular cross.

If it was a charity match for Paddy Jackson how would feel? Would it matter?

dublin7

Quote from: trailer on July 26, 2018, 08:08:06 AM
Quote from: Syferus on July 26, 2018, 12:58:25 AM
This thread is having the unintended consequence of proving that some of the horrible stereotypes about the GAA are very much in some of the vocal minority trying to find a hundred whatabputisms to absolve the GAA of terrible behaviour around a fûcking charity match. If you are so myopic you have to pin your hatred of other sports on your chest, have the good sense not to die on this particular cross.

If it was a charity match for Paddy Jackson how would feel? Would it matter?

What has this to with Paddy Jackson??

You're being so small minded and petty in relation to opening PuC you could parachute out of a snake's arse.

Jinxy

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on July 25, 2018, 11:43:03 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on July 25, 2018, 11:24:04 PM
Yeah, the Thomas Davis affair.
So its ok to pop at them 10 years later, but its an outrage when they do the same?

I don't follow you.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

TheClubman

Quote from: stephenite on July 26, 2018, 12:20:43 AM
Quote from: TheClubman on July 25, 2018, 12:35:38 PM
The bottom line is - the rules do not allow it. And if we're suggesting rules should be broken when it suits us I'd suggest that's a large part of the problem with this country....everyone believes they're "an exception" or "a one-off" and should get favourable treatment. That's basically the system we're used to under FF/FG and co but it's not right.

I'd suggest the people who are outraged use their energy to put motions through GAA clubs and get the rules changed at congress. It's a long time since the old rule 42 was amended to allow rugby and soccer into Croke Park while Lansdowne Road was being redeveloped. I've seen or heard of no motion to further relax the rules being defeated. We can't have rule changes by media outcry. There's a process. For all its faults it has stood the GAA in good stead. The agenda can't be set by the news reel.

Incompetent thinking, breathtaking in it's arrogance.

Just because you say something it doesn't mean it is the case. Make your argument against what I've said. Don't resort to playground insults of the person like Damian Duff for example.

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: Jinxy on July 26, 2018, 09:45:59 AM
So its ok to pop at them 10 years later, but its an outrage when they do the same?

I don't follow you.
You are rehashing the argumebts of 10 years ago online and then giving out about Rovers fans doing the same. The penny will drop in time.

trailer

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on July 26, 2018, 10:19:55 AM
As predicted, politicians now threatening future funding.

https://m.independent.ie/sport/gaa-warned-about-state-funding-after-liam-miller-match-fiasco-37155963.html

Shane Ross, who gave millions to a private college in Dublin. He should be careful taking on the GAA on this issue.

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: trailer on July 26, 2018, 10:26:41 AM

https://m.independent.ie/sport/gaa-warned-about-state-funding-after-liam-miller-match-fiasco-37155963.html

Shane Ross, who gave millions to a private college in Dublin. He should be careful taking on the GAA on this issue.

And anyone can use the pitch in Wesley.

This was my point. The GAA mismanaged this so badly the minister is openly saber rattling, and it wont cost him a vote.

trailer

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on July 26, 2018, 10:30:45 AM

This was my point. The GAA mismanaged this so badly the minister is openly saber rattling, and it wont cost him a vote.

Really? Free of charge?

stephenite

Quote from: TheClubman on July 26, 2018, 09:57:46 AM
Quote from: stephenite on July 26, 2018, 12:20:43 AM
Quote from: TheClubman on July 25, 2018, 12:35:38 PM
The bottom line is - the rules do not allow it. And if we're suggesting rules should be broken when it suits us I'd suggest that's a large part of the problem with this country....everyone believes they're "an exception" or "a one-off" and should get favourable treatment. That's basically the system we're used to under FF/FG and co but it's not right.

I'd suggest the people who are outraged use their energy to put motions through GAA clubs and get the rules changed at congress. It's a long time since the old rule 42 was amended to allow rugby and soccer into Croke Park while Lansdowne Road was being redeveloped. I've seen or heard of no motion to further relax the rules being defeated. We can't have rule changes by media outcry. There's a process. For all its faults it has stood the GAA in good stead. The agenda can't be set by the news reel.

Incompetent thinking, breathtaking in it's arrogance.

Just because you say something it doesn't mean it is the case. Make your argument against what I've said. Don't resort to playground insults of the person like Damian Duff for example.

Happily;

You state rules are rules, and tried to equate this issue to body politic of Ireland (which in and of itself demonstrates a narrow and incompetent mindset)
The rule states that use of GAA grounds must adhere to the aims of the organisation. In this instance the event does not conflict with the aims of the GAA, but it's a charity event?

You've seen or heard no motion to further relax the rules since Rule 42? Check out the motions proposed by Milltown Malbay that have been defeated twice since.

This is not about rules of the GAA, there have been two massive own goals this year that have done more to hinder the aims of the organisation and have been completely self inflicted.

Jinxy

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on July 26, 2018, 10:11:30 AM

I don't follow you.
You are rehashing the argumebts of 10 years ago online and then giving out about Rovers fans doing the same. The penny will drop in time.

I still don't follow you.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: Jinxy on July 26, 2018, 10:42:12 AM
Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on July 26, 2018, 10:11:30 AM

I don't follow you.

I still don't follow you.
Deliberately so i think.

You are mirror images of each other.

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: trailer on July 26, 2018, 10:34:55 AM

Really? Free of charge?
Of course not. What sports facility anywhere is free rental?

Wesley was a mess, but at least the broader community can use it. This is not the case for GAA facilities, qs we have seen this week. We now have the Minister and Minister for State openly threatening the current funding model and they will have support from within the GAA. Thats how badly this has been handled.

Bord na Mona man

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on July 26, 2018, 10:46:45 AM
Quote from: trailer on July 26, 2018, 10:34:55 AM

Really? Free of charge?
Of course not. What sports facility anywhere is free rental?

Wesley was a mess, but at least the broader community can use it. This is not the case for GAA facilities, qs we have seen this week. We now have the Minister and Minister for State openly threatening the current funding model and they will have support from within the GAA. Thats how badly this has been handled.
Don't get carried away with yourself. Most GAA people would be fine with Liam Miller event taking place in PUC.
It will be a different story if Lord Ross and his merry men trying to twist their arm on funding and access.
These 'community' arrangements are hardly going to be very reciprocal, since soccer and rugby playing fields are of little use for gaelic games.

trailer

That won't work. The ground is still controlled by the GAA. If they don't want to rent it to some crowd they can still refuse. Lifting the rule is one thing, letting any amount of other games in is an entirely different issue.

As with Wesley if I wanted to run a fundraising match for Paddy Jackson they can still refuse to let me rent the pitch.