Bledisloe Cup- Tri Nations

Started by mc_grens, July 20, 2007, 03:36:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dinny Breen

Jayus Lynchbhoy, such negativity, does supporting Derry have that effect on all ye Derry posters  ;)

If Ireland can win the group, a big if, they'll make the semi-finals where they'll probably play South Africa but it's a semi-final and anything can happen. However if anything happens to O'Gara, O'Driscoll or O'Connell, we have no chance. O'Sullivan needs only play these guys against the tops teams....

So yes we have a great chance, we have a good starting 15, a bit of luck and who knows. I fear no other side in the tournament
#newbridgeornowhere

lynchbhoy

I used to think he was grat, but his form for Ireland is not nearly as good as his munster form
- he is still by far the best option Ireland have

contepomi seems to get better and better

Dinny Breen

Contepomi is the best inside centre in the world, trust me as a Leinster fan he is however not an out-half who can control the game.
#newbridgeornowhere

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 20, 2007, 05:28:49 PM
Contepomi is the best inside centre in the world, trust me as a Leinster fan he is however not an out-half who can control the game.

gives a good impression of one every time I saw leinster play (ok I dont see them as much as you)
but he controlled leinster unbelieveably well if not last season, then the season before from fly half - did he not?

Dinny Breen

Quotegives a good impression of one every time I saw leinster play (ok I dont see them as much as you)
but he controlled leinster unbelieveably well if not last season, then the season before from fly half - did he not?

If the game is loose ala Toulouse,  Contepomi is the man you want at out-half because he will create at 10. If the game is tight ala Black Sunday against Munster, Gloucester, Wasps when space is at a premium the good doctor loses control and is prone to mental break-downs, in tighter games he is better at 12 because he gets to think less and just plays on instinct. In international rugby where space is at a premium he plays at 12, Argentina rarely select him at 10. Himself and Rog would actually play well together....
#newbridgeornowhere

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 20, 2007, 05:27:04 PM
Jayus Lynchbhoy, such negativity, does supporting Derry have that effect on all ye Derry posters  ;)
missed this earlier..

answer is prob yes !
years of oppression tend to do that to you  :-\

;)

mc_grens

Id say that by far ROG is the better all round international class 10 out of the two, in fact he'd make any team in the world at the moment with the exception of the AB's (although Carters recent form has been woeful), and England (only because their heads are stuck up Wilkiinsons arse).

I think we've a chance, however small. I still dont think we quitehave the physicality to compete at the breakdown with SA and New Zealand, and thats where we could end up losing it.

Tankie

Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 20, 2007, 05:37:54 PM
Quotegives a good impression of one every time I saw leinster play (ok I dont see them as much as you)

If the game is loose ala Toulouse,  Contepomi is the man you want at out-half because he will create at 10. If the game is tight ala Black Sunday against Munster, Gloucester, Wasps when space is at a premium the good doctor loses control and is prone to mental break-downs, in tighter games he is better at 12 because he gets to think less and just plays on instinct. In international rugby where space is at a premium he plays at 12, Argentina rarely select him at 10. Himself and Rog would actually play well together....

He is certainly a very good centre but not to call him an out half is a bit much since he has been Leinsters out - half for 3 years. He certainly is not a kicking out - half but leinster are not a kicking team. I think he has been great for leinster as he suits the setup (as in ROG would not fit in), if leinster had better forwards I would be of the biew we should get a kicking out half but conters gibes great service to the backs!
Grand Slam Saturday!

CiKe

not sure that the Blacks midfield is a weakness although their backs certainly haven't been playing well of late. was only a couple years ago a lot of people thought Mauger was the best player in the world. I don't see Toeava as good enough but any time I have seen Conrad Smith he's been brilliant. I would have thought Mulaina in at center and possibly Evans at full back would be a nice balance to the team. Haven't seen uch of Gear this year, how has he played? On last year's form he'd be a shoe in.

I fancy New Zealand tomorrow but from what I've seen of the Tri-Nations, i fancy the Boks for the WC. Whilst New Zealand were pretty unbackable 6 months ago I always felt if someone was to spoil the party it would be the Boks. Now I wish I'd put my money on back then

mc_grens

I think you're right about Muliaina alright, think Smith came on as a sub last time out, but he's extremely injury prone. Gear played in the first ozzie game and wasnt great.

Evans has to be somewhere in the side, his form has been great. for the record Id go...

Woodcock
Mealamu
Hayman
Jack
Williams
Collins
Mc Caw
So'oialo
Leonard
Carter
Rokocoko
McAllister
Smith (Although f**k knows they havent got a 13 worth half a BOD, could try Evans, Mauger, Toeava here. Muliaina is probably the best option, but, after due consideration too badly needed at full back.)
Sivivatu
Muliaina

Some side, pity about midfield. Dont think Ive been too controversial, Leonard apart, but things seem to happen for them when he's on the field, I think he's better than either Kelleher or Weepu.

CiKe

Deserved win for New Zealand in the end but scoreline didn't really do justice to Australia who dominated for periods and showed tremendous continuity in what were appalling conditions, particularly in the first half.

Carter kicked well and landed 7 from 8 at least 4 of which were difficult kicks, and generally did well including a late break and quick thinking for tap penalty near the end. Good call from one poster, Leonard did well when introduced just after half time after Kelleher had largely anonymous first half (although he did put in great hit on Nathan Sharpe). Another great game from Mortlock who seemed to be just about everywhere and was far and away the most prominent midfielder. Not really a day for the backs but he certainly stood out. Doug Howlett also had a fine match and was probably the pick of the the New Zealand back five.

mc_grens

Decent game, not as good as the game in Melbourne, but conditions played a part. Blacks look a bit more stable in the middle with a proper 13 in there but the jury is still out.

Good to see Latham back, and semmingly in good form.

Carter was back more like his old self today, dont know how the TV ref could manage to see that was a try from Woodcock though.

TirEoghaingodeo

Didn't see this mornings game, but just wondered what everyone thought about Dinny's point re constant cheating. Must say that i couldn't agree more.
Think because the blacks are seen as the guardians of free-flowing rugby, they tend to get away with far more than anyone else. They can be appalling at the breakdown, sneaking in from side, lying over the top, hands in rucks, and fabulous player and all that he is, Richie Mc Caw should be yellow carded at least once a game.
Another thing is that i think they get away with more slightly forward rugby than anyone else, although in fairness this is partly because they do everything at such speed.
I suppose it's not really their fault as it's up to the refs to penalise this, and in the past they suffered at the breakdown when other teams were cynical, but where the blacks were once my second team, now find myself really cheering on whoever they're playing, and that might even include England.

On second thoughts, not England.
Ó dá ligfeadh sí liú amháin gaile, liú catha...

CiKe

i'm not sure i agree with Dinny - haven't seen much in the Tri-Nations to suggest NZ get away with appreciably more than anybody else in world rugby. Certainly they play on the edge but I don't think there is that much more cynicism to them than other team. If Ireland were good at it then great - instead however we have the likes of O'Callaghan and Leamy who constantly give away blindingly obvious penalties through an absolute absence of any semblance of discipline.

Dinny Breen

Didn't see the game on Saturday so can't comment was only out by 2 points in my prediction though  ;)

Anyway to qualify the cheating comment, it's not the dark arts I have a problem with, it's the blantant killing the ball, not rolling away, hands in a ruck, coming in from the side, lazy runners, forward passess etc etc They get away with murder particularly at home and in particular with Southern Hemisphere referees, McCaw is a fantastic player but he, as someone pointed out, shoulld be sin-binned every game. Plus they think they are the guardians of the game, are constantly using the media to influence referees which don't forget the Tzar of the refs is a Kiwi, Paddy O'Brien.....

Would sooner England won it again than any of the Southern Hemisphere side, and I'd hate to see Wales win at as well...
#newbridgeornowhere