Man Utd Thread:

Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Minder

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 06, 2017, 09:38:45 PM
I don't think there is any supporter of a club that would want their club to play negative football but unfortunately a team that's not successful on the trophy front will have to answer to their shareholders! That's how a business is successful and Utd is a business now, bad craic but the reality

Spurs Liverpool and Arsenal (at times lol) play attacking football, is that what you are looking for?

You forgot about City
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Boycey

Here's the thing, Utd have played 17 games this year with a record of W13 D2 L2 scoring 40 odd goals and conceding only a handful. Bar a lamentable performance against Liverpool and a shocking result against Huddersfield is there that much to complain about? The 'park the bus' jibe is getting tiresome, we played two rivals in the last 2 games winning one narrowly and losing one narrowly, standard fare in these kind of games? United have taken 8 points from their last 16 visits to Stamford Bridge so even the greatest manager that ever lived didnt exactly tear it up down there..

How anyone can think United aren't in a better place than they were 12 or 24 months is beyond me. Not liking Mourinho is a valid enough position God knows he's acted like a right dick over the years but the notion that he isn't a very very good manager is laughable, for a football dinosaur he was champion of England only a couple of years back.

I'd not expect Utd to seriously challenge City but with a couple of players back and a return to form for some others you never know. I'd certainly expect them to be competitive with the others..

In the meantime I'll keep enjoying it, it's only a game of football after all  ;)

magpie seanie

Quote from: Boycey on November 06, 2017, 09:58:09 PM
Here's the thing, Utd have played 17 games this year with a record of W13 D2 L2 scoring 40 odd goals and conceding only a handful. Bar a lamentable performance against Liverpool and a shocking result against Huddersfield is there that much to complain about? The 'park the bus' jibe is getting tiresome, we played two rivals in the last 2 games winning one narrowly and losing one narrowly, standard fare in these kind of games? United have taken 8 points from their last 16 visits to Stamford Bridge so even the greatest manager that ever lived didnt exactly tear it up down there..

How anyone can think United aren't in a better place than they were 12 or 24 months is beyond me. Not liking Mourinho is a valid enough position God knows he's acted like a right dick over the years but the notion that he isn't a very very good manager is laughable, for a football dinosaur he was champion of England only a couple of years back.

I'd not expect Utd to seriously challenge City but with a couple of players back and a return to form for some others you never know. I'd certainly expect them to be competitive with the others..

In the meantime I'll keep enjoying it, it's only a game of football after all  ;)

Where did anyone say this? Stop making things up.

You also forgot the terrible effort away to Stoke.

Mourinho may have won the league a few years ago but so did Rainieri and it cannot be forgotten where Chelsea were when he got sacked. It's certainly plausible that his best days asa manager are behind him. Regardless - he is not suited to United and should never have got the job. His philosophy on the game is the polar opposite of what United should stand for.

Maroon Manc

Quote from: magpie seanie on November 06, 2017, 08:58:21 PM
Quote from: Maroon Manc on November 06, 2017, 05:22:29 PM
That a shocking 2nd half performance for up until the 80th minute. There's a reason United didn't go to Anfield and open up like yesterday and it was clear yesterday. Herrera & Mkhitaryan both put in disgraceful performances yesterday, Mkhitaryan didn't even look like he tried whilst Herrera ran around like a headless chicken constantly getting himself in to bad positions. The game was stretched and it didn't suit United.

In a normal season we'd probably be only a few points of the leaders but you have to give City a lot of credit, they've been brilliant and its hard to make a case for them been caught. United have go on a run and then hope we beat City next month.

United desperately need Pogba back, its very unfortunate that his injury has coincided with Herrera & Mkhitaryan's poor form.

I see Perisic is having a great season for Inter, the clubs refusal to meet Inter's asking price is coming back to haunt United. United desperately need a player at left back or left wing back.

Why does he keep picking players who are out of form though? While at the same time steadfastly refusing to have Rashford and Martial on the pitch at the same time (bar League Cup and the last quarter on Sunday). A club like United with the resources at its disposal cannot make excuses for an injury or two and a couple of guys out of form.

Fellaini & Pogba's injurys have caused United huge problems especially as both were playing really well and in Fellaini's case probably the best form he's ever been in. Lingard is a decent squad player and Mata hasn't been in great form either this season. United have a very good squad but the injuries and with so many players out of form its caused United problems.

Mourinho wasn't fully backed this summer, I thought United would buy 5 players this summer and only ended up buying 3. Mourinho has bought well on the whole, there's only questions marks about Lindelof & Mkhitaryan.

We're a better side than last season and its only fair to judge Mourinho come the end of the season.

TabClear

Quote from: Maroon Manc on November 07, 2017, 11:30:38 AM
Quote from: magpie seanie on November 06, 2017, 08:58:21 PM
Quote from: Maroon Manc on November 06, 2017, 05:22:29 PM
That a shocking 2nd half performance for up until the 80th minute. There's a reason United didn't go to Anfield and open up like yesterday and it was clear yesterday. Herrera & Mkhitaryan both put in disgraceful performances yesterday, Mkhitaryan didn't even look like he tried whilst Herrera ran around like a headless chicken constantly getting himself in to bad positions. The game was stretched and it didn't suit United.

In a normal season we'd probably be only a few points of the leaders but you have to give City a lot of credit, they've been brilliant and its hard to make a case for them been caught. United have go on a run and then hope we beat City next month.

United desperately need Pogba back, its very unfortunate that his injury has coincided with Herrera & Mkhitaryan's poor form.

I see Perisic is having a great season for Inter, the clubs refusal to meet Inter's asking price is coming back to haunt United. United desperately need a player at left back or left wing back.

Why does he keep picking players who are out of form though? While at the same time steadfastly refusing to have Rashford and Martial on the pitch at the same time (bar League Cup and the last quarter on Sunday). A club like United with the resources at its disposal cannot make excuses for an injury or two and a couple of guys out of form.

Fellaini & Pogba's injurys have caused United huge problems especially as both were playing really well and in Fellaini's case probably the best form he's ever been in. Lingard is a decent squad player and Mata hasn't been in great form either this season. United have a very good squad but the injuries and with so many players out of form its caused United problems.

Mourinho wasn't fully backed this summer, I thought United would buy 5 players this summer and only ended up buying 3. Mourinho has bought well on the whole, there's only questions marks about Lindelof & Mkhitaryan.

We're a better side than last season and its only fair to judge Mourinho come the end of the season.

Seriously? Given the money Mourinho has spent in 1 1/2 years which I do not know off the top of my head but I am reasonably sure is in excess of £250m how anyone can claim he has not been fully backed is beyond me. Maybe he bought the wrong players? If he had spent £40m on Kante instead of £90m on Pogba a year ago would United be a better team? Definitely in my view. Mourinho historically has usually had the biggest check book in town and he still managed to buy a few lemons. Now the likes of City/Chelsea have more clout financially to compete with him at the top end of the market consistently and the likes of Arsenal/Liverpool/Spurs can match them on a single player basis.

Maroon Manc

Mourinho has been backed but not in the way Pep has been backed by City.

Syferus

Quote from: Maroon Manc on November 07, 2017, 02:29:07 PM

Some of his recuitment has been mental, more so than Jose's by a long way. Bravo, Stones (maybe coming into his own now, but he's having an easy ride this season so it's hard to tell) and the Walker purchase is literally insane when you see Arsenal picking up a better footballer in Kolasnic for free.

City from attacking midfield back aren't much better than an Arsenal or a Liverpool.

Dire Ear

Manchester United are willing to sell Spain goalkeeper David de Gea, 26, to Real Madrid on the condition that 24-year-old France defender Raphael Varane moves in the opposite direction. (Don Balon - in Spanish)
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/41892257

magpie seanie

Quote from: Dire Ear on November 07, 2017, 03:37:36 PM
Manchester United are willing to sell Spain goalkeeper David de Gea, 26, to Real Madrid on the condition that 24-year-old France defender Raphael Varane moves in the opposite direction. (Don Balon - in Spanish)
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/41892257

Doubt he'll prevent as many goals as DeGea does. That would be a disaster if it happens.

Boycey

Bit of a random snippet to post, the BBC gossip page (the secrets in the name) contains about 40 stories like this every day. If we believed all we read on it we'd have some squad, if only we had a manager  ;)

stew

Quote from: magpie seanie on November 06, 2017, 09:29:37 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 06, 2017, 09:02:08 PM
So who was available to play that would have, in your opinion been a better 11

Mata was dropped (not even on bench) but Mkhitaryan started. Martial is in tremendous form and so is Rashford but they always seems to replace each other. Lingered another option for Mkhitaryan. Might be shorter on centre midfielders (but if so, why? This is a club not short of cash) but regarding the injuries who knows what to believe.....the manager seems to not know when people are fit or will be back. Playing 5 at the back is BS as well.

Look - you're all obviously sick and tired of me criticising the manager but all I want is United to succeed without totally selling out the clubs history. That might be deemed bullshit by some and that's their prerogative but it means something to me. I thought for a brief couple of games there that I might have been wrong but it was just United overpowering weak teams. It frustrates me that he doesn't trust the players. The amount of times to his credit that Fergie said - I trust my players.....Busby always told his teams to go out and enjoy themselves before every game. There were always exceptions but the exceptions nowadays are when the handbrake is let off.

United simply cannot compete with the big boys under this tube, he dungs the togs against teams he thinks can beat United and sends player out not to lose, that is a losers mentality at that level and as I player at United I simply would resent those tactics.

This man needs to go at the end of the season if he has not got it in him to get his team to have more than twoshots f**kers are nearly as hard as watching Tyrone playing gaelic football against division 1 opposition.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

magpie seanie

This discussion is interesting. Jon Champion suggesting what I was ridiculed for suggesting here over a year ago. Record against the top 6 away is a joke. Won League Cup and Europa because in reality United played no one in those competitions.

http://www.espn.co.uk/football/club/manchester-united/360/video/3262150

Maroon Manc

Quote from: magpie seanie on November 08, 2017, 09:37:13 AM
This discussion is interesting. Jon Champion suggesting what I was ridiculed for suggesting here over a year ago. Record against the top 6 away is a joke. Won League Cup and Europa because in reality United played no one in those competitions.

http://www.espn.co.uk/football/club/manchester-united/360/video/3262150

United played City, Spurs & Arsenal at the back end of last season when United had begun to the chances of finishing top 4 had already gone. That top 6 record is taken way out of context. People have very short memories, was only a few years since Mourinho won the league. United are in 2nd place, will qualify as group winners in their CL group and in the next round of the League cup. Its hardly been a dreadful start to the season.

Its ridiculous to be writing Mourinho off, winning 2 trophies was a good start and lets see what happens in the next 18 months.

The Glazers as ever get let off, no mention of them at all in the media. This whole mess all started with their under investment after Ronaldo left and wasn't replaced. The rebuilding process is still ongoing given how many average players were bought in the 3 summers after Fergie left.

Esmarelda

Quote from: Syferus on November 07, 2017, 03:34:49 PM
Quote from: Maroon Manc on November 07, 2017, 02:29:07 PM

Some of his recuitment has been mental, more so than Jose's by a long way. Bravo, Stones (maybe coming into his own now, but he's having an easy ride this season so it's hard to tell) and the Walker purchase is literally insane when you see Arsenal picking up a better footballer in Kolasnic for free.

City from attacking midfield back aren't much better than an Arsenal or a Liverpool.
:o

Minder

Jesus come on with the "rebuilding", teams like United, City can rebuild in a summer. How long is this rebuild going to last ?
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"