25th anniversary of Longstone United FC.

Started by stew, June 06, 2007, 04:48:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stew

This is for any of the former Longstone United heads on here, can someone confirm when the 25th aniversary do is going to be held as I would like to attend if possible as I played the the likes of Rafferoti, Rufus and of course Egg, longstones greatest ever player.

I think this will be a great night out and I am going to do what I can to be there on the big night and I called the Harps club the night and spoke briefly to bennydorano and mark the barber, he indicated that september the 29th was the date and as soon as that is confirmed I am going to call Uncle Sean in London and once he confirms he is there I am going to book my flight. the following are the old heads I remember playing with back in the day when longstone was the be all and end all to me because of who I had the privilege of playing beside.

Joe head. ( great craic and second best keeper I ever played with)
Gola Toner (armagh star who had to play centre half because I was the sweeper) :P
Bill goat.(carried us against lurgyvallen in the first ever game, great dribbler who never looked above the waist)
Jams Carlisle.(goalscoring legend, broke his leg and we didnt know enough to throw him a benefit, shame  :-[
Benny McShane. (classy right back, too nice for Longstone)
Beasel McShane. ( big git, great in the air)
Weasel Donnelly. (hardest bastard ever to play for rus)
Legs Rath.( polished defender but too often injured)
Jim O'Hare. ( quick we hoor)
Stumpy. ( lunatic)
John G (head) 2nd most important player in our history.
Houlie. hard as nails defender, gave his all except when he was on the bones on a friday night.
Finbar. (best ever defender by a country mile.
Miko. ( class personified)
Chile McGrail. (skillful fecker)
Egg kelly. (I always admired him for defying the Saturday ban) most influencial player ever.
Ian Donnelly. (great man for a quicky at half time.  :D)
Tony Donnelly (excellent footballer)
Gribso. ( another excelent footballer, cantankerous ballix but a likeable fecker)
Bronco Breen, skillful player, class with every touch.
Colin M'Cann (scored the two best goals I ever seen when we needed the the most)
Maxi Mackey, did well after Ifecked off to the states.
Noel Murphy( solid defender in the early years)
Rufus ( tremendous presence in the box, just like spud after a night out in the Marine. ;)

I have probably left out a bunch of great characters but I look forward to meeting everyone in late September if I can make it.

My best ever starting 11 for Longstone.

Rufus
Finbarr
Houlie
John g
Gola
Miko
Gribso
Egg
Colin McCann
Ian donnelly
Feargal Harney

I look forward to a great night out in September.BTW Benny, I forgot to congratulate you on the birth of you latest babies, you are one potent hombre.  ;D
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

T Fearon

I have fond memories of being part of a Lurgan Inter side in the early 80s that was injury ridden but still managed to score a 2-1 win over Armagh Thistle (Corvan, Morrison and all) out the Loughgall Road ;D

stew

We once got to the quarter final of the mid ulster shield when we were a Lonsdale League side and I believe we were the first team ever to do so, we played Thistle and they beat us 3-0, that was a good team but we had a handier draw except for the fact that Thistle protested after losing in the previous and they won the appeal so they got to play us, Tone if you beat them you lot must have been a very good side.

We were as good as they were, they just were more experienced and I got an education that day, Patsy rafferty roasted me, that was my worst ever game for Longstone.  :-[

Rufus T Firefly

Was down in the Club last night and Paul Houlie, Max and Malachy Geraghty were hovering around alright. A 25th anniversary night for 'the Longstone' would be a great shindig altogether. Just to emphasise, it is the 25th anniversary since the founding of Longstone.

That said, it is a sobering thought to think that this coming soccer season marks ten years since Longstone last played - that last season (97/98) we finished low down in the 3rd division of the Mid Ulster, although still went on a great run (to the last 16) in the Mid Ulster Shield.

bennydorano

The City Hotel is provisionally booked for the 29th September, think Max was trying to sort out music then tickets will be printed up asap.

stew

Quote from: bennydorano on June 06, 2007, 10:24:27 PM
The City Hotel is provisionally booked for the 29th September, think Max was trying to sort out music then tickets will be printed up asap.

If that is the date I am fecked, I cant go because I will be in Chicago and it has been booked for 9 months or more but you wont suit everybody so feck it.