You know what really grinds my gears?

Started by corn02, June 02, 2007, 03:41:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

Quote from: johnnycool on August 09, 2022, 01:17:22 PM
Quote from: ONeill on August 09, 2022, 12:25:20 PM
It's the burger meat. Heard it once at the start of the summer, then again this morning. Yanks call it that. Maybe it'll pass.

But I also shudder when I hear:

roasties (It's roasted potatoes)
toasties (It's toasted sandwiches)
chippy/chipper (It's a chip shop)
peno. (It's a penalty ffs)

So it's probably me who has the problem.

You must love Chrimbo then  ;D

but where does he sit on xmas

Eamonnca1

Quote from: ONeill on August 09, 2022, 12:25:20 PM
It's the burger meat. Heard it once at the start of the summer, then again this morning. Yanks call it that. Maybe it'll pass.

But I also shudder when I hear:

roasties (It's roasted potatoes)
toasties (It's toasted sandwiches)
chippy/chipper (It's a chip shop)
peno. (It's a penalty ffs)

So it's probably me who has the problem.

That's what they call them in Scotland. I don't mind hearing that at all, Scottish sayings have far more business creeping in to Irish speech than Americanisms.

And we always said chippy. I've never lived anywhere where people say chipper.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on August 09, 2022, 02:26:16 PM
Cockteasers.

No, not the nightclub variety - it's a name I give to people that make posts on social media, message boards or forums like this that either only contain a hyperlink to another website, or post the link with added text that gives no context whatsoever as to what the link is about.

Most SM & modern forums will automatically parse links from the likes of Facebook, Twitter, YouTube etc. so that the relevant post or video will appear within the post, but on forums like this that don't do it, then why should I click on the link in question without telling me what it is about, or leads to?

In a few cases, I'm fairly sure some cocktease links are being posted as part of an agenda to to try and entice visitors to visit a website in question and get them to view various pages/articles for the purpose of pursuing political agendas and/or adding website hits for PR purposes.

It's simple. If you're posting on a website like this one that doesn't parse links to show external posts/tweets/videos etc. then for linking to an article on a news website it's not exactly difficult to at least copy & paste the headline along with the link, would be even better to also add the first couple or so paragraphs as well (not the whole article - copyright and all that). YouTube video? Facebook post? Tweet? Give us an indication as to what it's about. Because if you can't be arsed doing any of that, then not only are you a cocktease, you're a lazy one as well.

Don't be a f**king cocktease.  8)

I'm with you there. Although a lot of news websites these days put a bit of info into the URL for Search Engine Optimization purposes. Youtube links do no such thing though, I wish people would tell me what's behind the link before making me watch a video.

Jell 0 Biafra

In Dublin, it's a chipper.  I have never heard anyone say Chip Shop (except Kristy MacColl in that song) or Chippy (except in soccer commentary when Liam Brady did something exceptional).

Jeepers Creepers

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Jell 0 Biafra

Eamonnca1

Captain Obvious

imtommygunn

tyrone08

Chip shop. As it is a shop which sells chips.

Square Ball

Quote from: tyrone08 on August 10, 2022, 10:58:06 AM
Chip shop. As it is a shop which sells chips.
And fish, pasties, chicken all that stuff as well.
Are other chippies now selling loads of other stuff as well, our locals are now selling squishes or what ever they are called
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

Eire90

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Turf on August 10, 2022, 10:21:45 AM
Quote from: Jell 0 Biafra on August 09, 2022, 11:20:01 PM
Quote from: ONeill on August 09, 2022, 10:47:42 PM
It's a buckin chip shop.

You nordies are all weird.
Very weird indeed.
It's a Chipper.
The chipper is the machine inside the chippy that you feed spuds into and chips come out the other end.

Square Ball

Quote from: Eire90 on August 10, 2022, 11:19:22 AM
What is a sqaushie.
A made up word, should have been squashes, slush puppies
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid