Apple's data centre in Athenry

Started by Maroon Manc, October 12, 2017, 11:40:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syferus

Quote from: Rossfan on October 12, 2017, 08:01:20 PM
Quote from: heganboy on October 12, 2017, 07:11:37 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on October 12, 2017, 05:13:43 PM
And if they have kids they'd probably be the first to complain that "there's no jobs round here for the young people. What's the Government doing about it? ".

Rossfan,
data centers, aren't great job creators, you get security guards, maybe. A few construction jobs while she's going up...
They were saying 100 on the News.
However will anyone else be bothered choosing Ireland when this type of delay is caused.
The Danish one planned at the same stage is now built.

It's closer to 150 permanent, 300 for the construction. Data centers don't run themselves so it's very simplistic to think security guards are all you need.

Anyone complaining or trying to diminish it really doesn't get how important this can be to a town the size of Athenry.

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: Aaron Boone on October 12, 2017, 08:12:47 PM
There was still a fast-tracking of sorts to get to the court decision today. Back in the day, the M50 extension was held up by Carrickmines Castle protestors for years.
that carrickmines thing was so dodgy

see the retail centre now built there. who was behind the group who bought the land? Then got a junction put there for no reason

corruption

Owen Brannigan

Microsoft has agreed to buy all the electricity produced for the next 15 years by the 37 megawatt Tullahennel wind farm being built by GE in County Kerry to power its new server farms.  These things can consume more power than small towns.

armaghniac

What is happening the heat from this place? Is it being used for greenhouses or something?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

OgraAnDun

Quote from: armaghniac on October 12, 2017, 10:38:12 PM
What is happening the heat from this place? Is it being used for greenhouses or something?

Athenry will be Ireland's first winter holiday destination. Or just Ireland's first warm weather holiday destination.

rosnarun

Quote from: Dougal Maguire on October 12, 2017, 08:13:46 PM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on October 12, 2017, 05:26:41 PM
So three people and a dog were able to block a major project. Like I said, the NIMBY lobby is too powerful. It's time to clip their wings.
NIMBY??  Jaysus you'd have a hell of a back yard if it stretched from Wicklow to Athenry!! It's too easy for cranks to halt progress.
I think a better term for these sort are BANANAs = Build Absolutely Nothing Anywhere Near Anyone

abd don't bank on it being over yet.
until costs are awarded in some measure against objectors this will run and run
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: rosnarun on October 13, 2017, 10:22:35 AM
So three people and a dog were able to block a major project. Like I said, the NIMBY lobby is too powerful. It's time to clip their wings.
NIMBY??  Jaysus you'd have a hell of a back yard if it stretched from Wicklow to Athenry!! It's too easy for cranks to halt progress.
I think a better term for these sort are BANANAs = Build Absolutely Nothing Anywhere Near Anyone

Much the same as the recent case and appeal taken against the building of the A6 near Toome.  No costs against objector but the cost to the public purse was £8,000,000.

magpie seanie

Should have built it somewhere there wasn't already full employment.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Owen Brannigan on October 13, 2017, 10:31:06 AM

Much the same as the recent case and appeal taken against the building of the A6 near Toome.  No costs against objector but the cost to the public purse was £8,000,000.
The man in the street shouldn't be prevented from taking on large corporations/government due to cost otherwise they'd do what they want. Nor should the be allowed to use large amounts of public money for nefarious reasons. Surely these cases are judged on their merits and only proceed if warranted. Objections on the basis of swans nesting etc. should be thrown in the bin.

Franko

Quote from: Tony Baloney on October 13, 2017, 01:46:31 PM

The man in the street shouldn't be prevented from taking on large corporations/government due to cost otherwise they'd do what they want. Nor should the be allowed to use large amounts of public money for nefarious reasons. Surely these cases are judged on their merits and only proceed if warranted. Objections on the basis of swans nesting etc. should be thrown in the bin.

+1

There's a bit of NIMBY in all of us... it's just that most are lucky to avoid situations where we need to show it.

seafoid

The Apple data centre reminds me of an Elvis Costello song called shipbuilding. The jobs are needed but the system they are part of sucks. 

https://youtu.be/esjrHxpiet0
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

rosnarun

and that's why I said 'some measure' . enough to hurt if the court finds it without foundation but not enough to bankrupt someone out for the public good.
some supreme cases use this measure . if its genuinely taken to siolve a point of law usually no costs are awarded but if it a nuisance case they are.
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Tony Baloney

Quote from: rosnarun on October 13, 2017, 02:32:06 PM

and that's why I said 'some measure' . enough to hurt if the court finds it without foundation but not enough to bankrupt someone out for the public good.
some supreme cases use this measure . if its genuinely taken to siolve a point of law usually no costs are awarded but if it a nuisance case they are.
I think that's fair enough as every crank in the land shouldn't be able to take arbitrary grudges to court but the right of you and I to take on some bollox with plenty of money should be protected.

Eamonnca1

If I had my way then the only way a private individual could block something like this would be if they gather 200 signatures within a fortnight of the announcement of the plan and each one of them has to be able to show how they're affected. If the names and addresses are then verified by the planning agency and they're satisfied that everyone on the list is affected, only then can the court look into blocking it, but if not, the plan goes ahead. I'm all in favour of letting the public have their say, but it can't be so easy that one or two people can block a project like this.

Environmental impacts are another matter, you have to keep an eye on that sort of thing because natural habitats are still important.

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on October 13, 2017, 06:10:13 PM
If I had my way then the only way a private individual could block something like this would be if they gather 200 signatures within a fortnight of the announcement of the plan and each one of them has to be able to show how they're affected. If the names and addresses are then verified by the planning agency and they're satisfied that everyone on the list is affected, only then can the court look into blocking it, but if not, the plan goes ahead. I'm all in favour of letting the public have their say, but it can't be so easy that one or two people can block a project like this.

Environmental impacts are another matter, you have to keep an eye on that sort of thing because natural habitats are still important.
the visual environment is also important

this will basically be a huge shed consuming a huge amount of electricity