My thread to pontificate about Protestantism

Started by T Fearon, October 05, 2017, 04:27:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stew

Quote from: T Fearon on October 05, 2017, 05:36:03 PM
It is fundamentally flawed in the doctrine that Faith Alone is sufficient for salvation.Faith should permeate every aspect of the Christian's life,including showing compassion,being charitable etc.

The Catholic Church is one of the most disgusting, corrupt organizations in the world Tony, you can dress it up whatever way you want, it is corrupt and rotten to its core!
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Dash83

Rossfan

Quote from: stew on October 06, 2017, 10:02:40 AM
It is fundamentally flawed in the doctrine that Faith Alone is sufficient for salvation.Faith should permeate every aspect of the Christian's life,including showing compassion,being charitable etc.

The Catholic Church is one of the most disgusting, corrupt organizations in the world Tony, you can dress it up whatever way you want, it is corrupt and rotten to its core!
Can you list the 5 most corrupt and reasons why etcetera.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Rossfan

Quote from: bennydorano on October 06, 2017, 09:20:23 AM
Funny I always thought Protestantism would be a natural house for people who think about things & question 'the establishment', this would likely be 90 odd % of gaaboard.com posters.  Catholics/ Irish Nationalists are culturally programmed in Ireland to view Protestantism (largely because of the UK) as the enemy.
If all your land is stolen, your Religion banned, your language and most of your culture destroyed,  discriminated against etc for 400/500 years you wouldn't be over enamoured with it right enough.
Then you have the DUP telling you the human race is 6,000 years old....

seafoid

Nobody chooses to be born Catholic or jain or Muslim or protestant. Nobody chooses to be indoctrinated as a child. All religion is in large part built around the same idea. Treat people fairly. All religion has large doses of fantasy. There are decent people in every religion. If Protestantism is nonsense so are the other religions.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: armaghniac on October 05, 2017, 07:04:01 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on October 05, 2017, 06:47:46 PM
Tony what are the differences in beliefs between  Anglicans, Methodists, Presbyterians and Lutherans?

Subdivisions of heresy, you might as well say what is the difference between the IFA and FAI.

I think that is about the best explanation I've come across?  ;D

@ Tony
BTW, Tony, did the theologians  back Reformation times ever manage to find out just how many angels could dance on the pointof a needle?
I think they were more intereted iin grave matters like this and not to pushed aboiut the excesses that Luther protested against.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

T Fearon

I would say back in those days,and probably up to comparatively recent times,people,including most clerics were afraid of questioning or challenging anything about the Church,for fear of annoying God himself.

Strong bureaucratic hierarchical systems,headed by the Pope,were and are needed in a vast global church,and dissent discouraged,for the sack of unity and cohesion.Look at the number and diversity of the vast amount of strands of Protestantism to see what happens when these structures aren't in place.

manfromdelmonte

It's all make believe anyway

I wouldn't worry about it

stew

Quote from: Rossfan on October 06, 2017, 10:38:41 AM

Why the f**k would I do that????
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: T Fearon on October 06, 2017, 07:25:51 PM
Look at the number and diversity of the vast amount of strands of Protestantism to see what happens when these structures aren't in place.

Protestantism is a robust idea that swept Europe during the reformation, and today evangelical megachurches are growing at an alarmingly high rate. Meanwhile the pews in Catholic churches are emptying and they can't get enough priests to cover the pitifully small number of people still going to mass on a regular basis.

tonto1888

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on October 09, 2017, 05:42:28 PM
Look at the number and diversity of the vast amount of strands of Protestantism to see what happens when these structures aren't in place.

Protestantism is a robust idea that swept Europe during the reformation, and today evangelical megachurches are growing at an alarmingly high rate. Meanwhile the pews in Catholic churches are emptying and they can't get enough priests to cover the pitifully small number of people still going to mass on a regular basis.

Lurgan is doing alright. Though if a certain priest continues with 15 minute long homilies that may change

omaghjoe

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on October 09, 2017, 05:42:28 PM

You been to mass lately? I go pretty regular both in America and Ireland and the pews look well stocked

omaghjoe

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on October 07, 2017, 08:27:24 AM
It's all make believe anyway

I wouldn't worry about it

Ironically enough that's you make yourself believe

Rossfan

Quote from: stew on October 08, 2017, 03:07:21 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on October 06, 2017, 10:38:41 AM

Why the f**k would I do that????
To prove you know what you're talking about rather than just making a big generalised statement based on your own prejudices perhaps.

Lazer

Quote from: Olly on October 05, 2017, 08:15:54 PM
Themuns don't think Mary was a virgin.

They do - they don't believe Mary herself was conceived without sin (I think)
Down for Sam 2017 (Have already written of 2016!)