Connacht Club Championships 2017 - Senior/Intermediate/Junior Football & Hurling

Started by revsperminute, September 29, 2017, 01:50:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rossfan

Hard luck Brigids. Great comeback when looking dead and buried in the 2nd half.
A few costly misses though.
Better team won all the same.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

mrhardyannual

Corofin v Castlebar in Tuam in a fortnight.

Hats off to Rathnew for a great win over Vincents in Leinster.

Maroon Manc

Corofin will need to improve if their to go all the way although as pointed out they may well not be at their peak yet, only time will tell.

The ref was poor, several of those frees for Brigids were extremely soft and some were just simply not even close to been fouls. Corofin will be disappointed not to have closed out the game when 5 points up and cruising but you have you to give Brigids credit for coming back when they looked out of it.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: PadraicHenryPearse on November 12, 2017, 04:27:03 PM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on November 12, 2017, 04:22:16 PM
Quote from: PadraicHenryPearse on November 12, 2017, 04:07:55 PM
Read the post you Gobshite. The ref was shite. He favored corofin IMO. stop focusing on one point which has little to do with the point I was making. You have form with rossies but I usually ignore your rubbish. More fool me for engaging this time.

I call the game as I see it. The referee heavily favoured Brigids with his decisions, they got countless soft frees, he pulled play back when Brigids were in big trouble. You equated a shoulder to shoulder hit after the Brigids player had kicked the ball out of play to a frontal charge on the Corofin player after he had laid the ball off for an overload attack on the 45 yard line with loads of space. That told me all I needed to know about the impartiality of your comments. In that particular situation the play should have been let run and the Brigids player black carded after the advantage had been allowed. In the other situation the Brigids player may have got a free but it wasn't a booking, both players went shoulder to shoulder with the Brigids player hacking the ball away first.

The better team won and I think the scoreline flattered Brigids.

And you have no bias against Roscommon!!  I said they were similar, I did not say they were the same. How hard is that to understand. Try read my first post again, slowly or if your with someone get them to explain it to you. That's the end of this exchange, never argue with an idiot, first they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

You tried to parallel them, they were not similar, they were worlds apart. One was a stonewall black card and a potential goal chance given the numbers over. The referee calls back the play and bottles the black card. The other was a debatable foul, it was a shoulder to shoulder hit after the Brigid's man hacked the ball away.

To say Brigids were wronged is risible. I don't have any particular slight against Roscommon but I do find the whinging and excuse making from a few posters unbearable at times. Today was a day where Brigids got a massive rub of the green with refereeing decisions and we have a guy like you telling us they were on the wrong end? Mental stuff.

That kind of behaviour reminds me of unionists, no matter how good a deal they're getting it's never enough. Saying you're being victimised when it's the opposite in reality gets my goat.

PadraicHenryPearse

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on November 12, 2017, 07:19:40 PM
Read the post you Gobshite. The ref was shite. He favored corofin IMO. stop focusing on one point which has little to do with the point I was making. You have form with rossies but I usually ignore your rubbish. More fool me for engaging this time.

I call the game as I see it. The referee heavily favoured Brigids with his decisions, they got countless soft frees, he pulled play back when Brigids were in big trouble. You equated a shoulder to shoulder hit after the Brigids player had kicked the ball out of play to a frontal charge on the Corofin player after he had laid the ball off for an overload attack on the 45 yard line with loads of space. That told me all I needed to know about the impartiality of your comments. In that particular situation the play should have been let run and the Brigids player black carded after the advantage had been allowed. In the other situation the Brigids player may have got a free but it wasn't a booking, both players went shoulder to shoulder with the Brigids player hacking the ball away first.

And you have no bias against Roscommon!!  I said they were similar, I did not say they were the same. How hard is that to understand. Try read my first post again, slowly or if your with someone get them to explain it to you. That's the end of this exchange, never argue with an idiot, first they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

You tried to parallel them, they were not similar, they were worlds apart. One was a stonewall black card and a potential goal chance given the numbers over. The referee calls back the play and bottles the black card. The other was a debatable foul, it was a shoulder to shoulder hit after the Brigid's man hacked the ball away.

To say Brigids were wronged is risible. I don't have any particular slight against Roscommon but I do find the whinging and excuse making from a few posters unbearable at times. Today was a day where Brigids got a massive rub of the green with refereeing decisions and we have a guy like you telling us they were on the wrong end? Mental stuff.

That kind of behaviour reminds me of unionists, no matter how good a deal they're getting it's never enough. Saying you're being victimised when it's the opposite in reality gets my goat.

Jesus you are thick. I never blamed the ref for the defeat. I said he was poor, inconsistent, couldn't guess which way frees were going and favored corofin IMO. He did not determine the result, never even got close to suggesting that. Without watching the game again I stick to that. I agreed we got soft frees near the end but overall I though he favored corofin. The incident were similar as they were tackles where the players didn't have the ball and IMO both Molloy or Kilbride will struggle to avoid contact imo.

mrhardyannual

Personally, I was gutted by Brigid's defeat. It's bad enough to see my native Mayo lose after extra time, replays etc but then to morph into #Rossieforaday and see the same thing happen..it's unbearable. Will never morph again. I can see why the people of Ballagh have remained loyal to Mayo... Out of the frying pan into the fire.  ;D ;D ;D ;D

PW Nally

Quote from: Syferus on November 12, 2017, 05:30:42 PM
Quote from: Duine Eile on November 12, 2017, 05:28:42 PM
Quote from: Captain Obvious on November 12, 2017, 05:23:56 PM
Not as good as yesterdays Ulster semi final but a good match between two good clubs sides nonetheless. Slaughtneil v Corofin or Castlebar will be a very interesting semi final. St Vincents getting caught on the hop probably means the defending champions Dr Crokes has easier path to the final now.

Is it not Connacht v Leinster champions in the semi final this year? Corofin have been rusty all through this year but games like today will bring them on a ton. Thought Lundy was fantastic today, his vision and passing is something else, they missed him when he went off injured. Great game to watch, looking forward to the Connacht final.

Lundy did a lot of running alright.

He'd be a lot easier to like with less playacting, though.
Thought if Brigids kept the head after goal they had chance of creating chances themselves, they dropped the heads and were bit ill disciplined and game was up then.

Good game and credit to both teams for a right game of football. Connacht now a play off between the big teams of each county.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: PadraicHenryPearse on November 12, 2017, 07:36:53 PM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on November 12, 2017, 07:19:40 PM

Jesus you are thick. I never blamed the ref for the defeat. I said he was poor, inconsistent, couldn't guess which way frees were going and favored corofin IMO. He did not determine the result, never even got close to suggesting that. Without watching the game again I stick to that. I agreed we got soft frees near the end but overall I though he favored corofin. The incident were similar as they were tackles where the players didn't have the ball and IMO both Molloy or Kilbride will struggle to avoid contact imo.

You're being very disingenuous here. You said the referee favoured Corofin when that was absolute tosh, his decisions on the day heavily favoured Brigids. The best example you could give of that was the paralleling of two incidents that are miles apart.

Incident one was where Corofin had an overload of attacking players, the Corofin player laid the ball off and was smashed with a frontal shoulder just after laying the ball off to one of his teammates. There was the makings of a goals chance at this stage and the referee bizarrely decided to pull the play back and issue the Brigids player with a yellow card for a black card offence.

Incident two was where a loose ball was in the middle of the pitch with a Corofin man and Brigids man sprinting to it, the Brigids man arrived first and hacked it away over the sideline and the two players mets with a shoulder on shoulder collision. The referee may have decided to give a free to Brigids but that would have been the height of it.

These incidents are not in any way comparable, Brigids got all the rubs of the green from the match official, it was not the other way around and it would a special sort of bias to see it that way. You seem to be quite stubborn on this as you are most certainly wrong.

PadraicHenryPearse

The position of the offensive has nothing to do with anything. If it's a black, yellow, foul or no foul the fact there are attacking options is not relevant.

I gave other examples you somehow have focused on this one. The throw ball, cornor back on the end line. It doesn't really matter, you disagree with my opinion I've no issue with that your attempts to mid represent them is the issue I have.

You can continue to misrepresent my comments but it doesn't make you right. I've no problem with you or anyone else thinks the ref was any different that's your opinion and I have mine.

Duine Eile

Quote from: Syferus on November 12, 2017, 05:39:41 PM
Quote from: Duine Eile on November 12, 2017, 05:33:18 PM
Not as good as yesterdays Ulster semi final but a good match between two good clubs sides nonetheless. Slaughtneil v Corofin or Castlebar will be a very interesting semi final. St Vincents getting caught on the hop probably means the defending champions Dr Crokes has easier path to the final now.

Is it not Connacht v Leinster champions in the semi final this year? Corofin have been rusty all through this year but games like today will bring them on a ton. Thought Lundy was fantastic today, his vision and passing is something else, they missed him when he went off injured. Great game to watch, looking forward to the Connacht final.

What playacting Syferus?

Ah c'mon Duine, everyone knows Lundy as much for his rolling about and diving as his speed and talent. He played well all the same.

Molloy looks a player.

Oh I know he does but he wasn't at it today, the time he was down he was injured, that's why he was taken off, looked like a quad injury. Molloy is some bit of stuff alright, pity he wouldn't get a haircut though!

Syferus

Quote from: PW Nally on November 12, 2017, 08:19:11 PM

Thought if Brigids kept the head after goal they had chance of creating chances themselves, they dropped the heads and were bit ill disciplined and game was up then.

Good game and credit to both teams for a right game of football. Connacht now a play off between the big teams of each county.

I'd agree, if Brigids showed more composure after the first goal it was there for them as apart from that period they were the better team over the 70. But then it is a team in transition and with a lot of youth to add (none of their Connacht winning minors even featured today, and their U16s this year are even better) so they'll be more than alright moving forward.

The big three from the top three counties have a stranglehold on Connacht at the minute, a good bit ahead of everyone in their own counties as well as a good bit ahead of any team Sligo or Leitrim have thrown up. Novel pairs are nice but you can't beat a good match like today's or what we're likely to see in the final in two weeks.

O'Hara was making the point that the intensity in the tackle is at a different level in the top three counties compared to Sligo and that it effects them when they hit Connacht, take that for what you will given he was talking after Mitchels had given his team a spanking.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: PadraicHenryPearse on November 12, 2017, 08:32:10 PM
The position of the offensive has nothing to do with anything. If it's a black, yellow, foul or no foul the fact there are attacking options is not relevant.

I gave other examples you somehow have focused on this one. The throw ball, cornor back on the end line. It doesn't really matter, you disagree with my opinion I've no issue with that your attempts to mid represent them is the issue I have.

You can continue to misrepresent my comments but it doesn't make you right. I've no problem with you or anyone else thinks the ref was any different that's your opinion and I have mine.

We have both said what he have had to say.

Rudi

Corofin were by some distance the better team today. They missed between 2 and 3 goal chances in the first half and opened the Brigids backs up easily. Brigids could have threw the towel in at half time or 12 mins into the second half but they didn't and were the better team for the last 20 mins. They missed 3 handy frees that would have won the game. However Corofin were the better team, looked sharper throughout, but I would in all honesty be very happy with the Brigids performance given the players they have at the moment. They are a team in transition and have huge talent coming through at underage level, their U16s were outstanding this year.
Thought the referee was poor, this is a recurring problem in the gaa and it's just not acceptable. Brigids did get a few handy frees, other decisions further out the field were baffling. Molloy (very good player) went full frontal for a ball he was never going to win, it was dangerous play and warranted a red in my opinion. Some of the passing by Corofin was sublime, the first goal was a superb move and execution.
Fair play to both teams for a very good contest at a difficult time of year. Fair play also to Rathnew, what a win.

galwayman

Corofin Mitchels is a tough one to call.
Corofin imo are definitely not at the level they were when winning the AI in 2015.
They're still obviously a strong side at the same time.
But don't have the same squad depth/quality as before & the standard of underage player coming through wouldn't be as high as it was in the recent past.
I would doubt either of them would have an All Ireland in them.

Syferus

Quote from: galwayman on November 12, 2017, 10:13:53 PM
Corofin Mitchels is a tough one to call.
Corofin imo are definitely not at the level they were when winning the AI in 2015.
They're still obviously a strong side at the same time.
But don't have the same squad depth/quality as before & the standard of underage player coming through wouldn't be as high as it was in the recent past.
I would doubt either of them would have an All Ireland in them.

Whoever wins Connacht has to fancy their chances against a Dublin-less Leinster. Certainly wouldn't be saying their isn't an AI in them, because honestly there's one in either of the finalists.