Money, Dublin and the GAA

Started by IolarCoisCuain, October 04, 2016, 07:27:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

armaghniac

Arguing with Dublin supporters is like arguing with Brexiteers, they just keep repeating the dogma over and over again
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: TheGreatest on September 10, 2018, 09:19:55 AM
Some of the comments on here are hilarious, smacks of jealousy, Hatred and small town syndrome.

As for Spewan Mc Crackpot, he's moved onto Serena Williams now arguing with American teenagers. His tweeting to Marty Morrissey and Des Cahill which he removed were dreadfully disrespectful.

Think the Indo need to have a think about his employment, he's a bully and a coward.
instead of dealing with the issue you attack the posters and journos

enough said

TheGreatest

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on September 10, 2018, 11:20:18 AM
Some of the comments on here are hilarious, smacks of jealousy, Hatred and small town syndrome.

As for Spewan Mc Crackpot, he's moved onto Serena Williams now arguing with American teenagers. His tweeting to Marty Morrissey and Des Cahill which he removed were dreadfully disrespectful.

Think the Indo need to have a think about his employment, he's a bully and a coward.

enough said

I have made dozens of contributions to arguments on this thread and others threads. I am open to reason and logic. I am open to it but some people on here its a one track mind in relation to the Dubs. A lot of it is snearing and oh the Dublin PR machine etc etc. Like Alan Brogan first hand knowledge of playing for Dublin for 14 years is just thrown out the window.

Can we discuss the Limerick privately funded undisclosed money from one of Irelands richest men?

Limerick were the only county to contact the county board in relation to what they were doing and how they were doing it, over the last number of years Limerick has incredible increase in participation in our games.

Can we discuss the millions of GBP pumped into Ulster GAA since the good Friday agreement?

thebackbar1

Quote from: Dinny Breen on September 10, 2018, 11:04:34 AM
Quote* How he has managed to keep this team motivated is incredible, you see plenty of teams full of stars but with no motivation.
* The discipline of his players in every regard is amazing, they very rarely drop their discipline
* The players always look to pass the ball to a player in a better position, very rarely do they take stupid shots.

Money can buy you a lot of things, but none of the above.

Professional sports psychologists are paid with MONEY, they work on motivation and discipline.
Dublin have engaged basketball coaches including Mark Ingle, I doubt they do this for free. Guess what basketball coaches work on, movement and creating opportunity for the shot, funny enough they don't encourage stupid shots.

Sports science/coaching is a billion dollar industry, people seem to have this romantic notion that coaching is throwing a bag of balls over your shoulder, picking a team, lay out some cones, a bit of shouting and roaring and away you go.

I am imagine Dublin's analysis software license costs are astronomical alone, and guess what, spending money on analysis helps coaches and players particularly in decision making. MONEY makes a massive difference to the above. Sick of fan boys at this stage.
Every team is limited to the amount of training they can do per week, its not as though you can employ 100 sports psychologists and coaches if you have unlimited resources, also having 100 sports psychologists wouldn't work, you need to have one person directing that area of coaching to avoid mixed messages.

There is only so much money a coach can demand in pay too. How many sessions did Mark Ingle do with Dublin ? how much money do you think he got for them ?

The analysis software is only as good as the analyst using the software, and i would be surprised if all counties weren't' using the same package ! or have the dubs custom software for doing gaa analysis ? In fairness to Ray Boyne the ex dublin analysis chief he has been open about his work.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: TheGreatest on September 10, 2018, 11:55:56 AM

enough said

I have made dozens of contributions to arguments on this thread and others threads. I am open to reason and logic. I am open to it but some people on here its a one track mind in relation to the Dubs. A lot of it is snearing and oh the Dublin PR machine etc etc. Like Alan Brogan first hand knowledge of playing for Dublin for 14 years is just thrown out the window.

Can we discuss the Limerick privately funded undisclosed money from one of Irelands richest men?

Limerick were the only county to contact the county board in relation to what they were doing and how they were doing it, over the last number of years Limerick has incredible increase in participation in our games.

Can we discuss the millions of GBP pumped into Ulster GAA since the good Friday agreement?

Alan Brogan et al, is Dublin PR at it's finest orchestrated BS.

What's there to discuss about Limerick, it just adds weight to the argument money makes a difference, similar with UK sports investment. So participation has increased incredibly Limerick, has it in Dublin?

The issue with a lot people is simply not the investment but it's the GAA doing the investment, it's a governing body pump millions into one entity in an unequal manner. Married to playing at home it's a governing body giving one county disproportionate advantages over every other county. The integrity of sporting competition and fairness is completely compromised.

#newbridgeornowhere

Dinny Breen

Quote from: thebackbar1 on September 10, 2018, 12:19:27 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on September 10, 2018, 11:04:34 AM
Quote* How he has managed to keep this team motivated is incredible, you see plenty of teams full of stars but with no motivation.
* The discipline of his players in every regard is amazing, they very rarely drop their discipline
* The players always look to pass the ball to a player in a better position, very rarely do they take stupid shots.

Money can buy you a lot of things, but none of the above.

Professional sports psychologists are paid with MONEY, they work on motivation and discipline.
Dublin have engaged basketball coaches including Mark Ingle, I doubt they do this for free. Guess what basketball coaches work on, movement and creating opportunity for the shot, funny enough they don't encourage stupid shots.

Sports science/coaching is a billion dollar industry, people seem to have this romantic notion that coaching is throwing a bag of balls over your shoulder, picking a team, lay out some cones, a bit of shouting and roaring and away you go.

I am imagine Dublin's analysis software license costs are astronomical alone, and guess what, spending money on analysis helps coaches and players particularly in decision making. MONEY makes a massive difference to the above. Sick of fan boys at this stage.
Every team is limited to the amount of training they can do per week, its not as though you can employ 100 sports psychologists and coaches if you have unlimited resources, also having 100 sports psychologists wouldn't work, you need to have one person directing that area of coaching to avoid mixed messages.

There is only so much money a coach can demand in pay too. How many sessions did Mark Ingle do with Dublin ? how much money do you think he got for them ?

The analysis software is only as good as the analyst using the software, and i would be surprised if all counties weren't' using the same package ! or have the dubs custom software for doing gaa analysis ? In fairness to Ray Boyne the ex dublin analysis chief he has been open about his work.

So you now agree, money can make a difference?
#newbridgeornowhere

TheGreatest

Quote from: Dinny Breen on September 10, 2018, 01:15:05 PM

enough said

What's there to discuss about Limerick, it just adds weight to the argument money makes a difference, similar with UK sports investment. So participation has increased incredibly Limerick, has it in Dublin?

The issue with a lot people is simply not the investment but it's the GAA doing the investment, it's a governing body pump millions into one entity in an unequal manner. Married to playing at home it's a governing body giving one county disproportionate advantages over every other county. The integrity of sporting competition and fairness is completely compromised.

Breakdown Alan Brogans argument and tell me which parts you feel are bullshit and untrue, or are you just generalising that all articles against your argument are PR bullshit?

That's what I meant, Limerick, Dublin underage participation.

I understand the above, however but that money is not going to the senior footballers, they are not premier league footballers. A journalist last week said Dublin players partners get match day expenses which is a complete and utter lie, that journalist got that confirmed a spoof live on radio and has not retracted the statement, its stuff like that I am not talking about.

Dublin get more money than anyone else is because of the bigger population pool ( don't respond back with per registered player argument) etc, that's nonsense. Does it need to be divided up more yes, but not at Dublins expense IMO.

Dublin need to moved out of Croke Park more, agree, I think all Dubs would prefer to move out of Croker.

Cant do anything with the population argument, its always been there, Dublin senior football pool realistically is adult leagues 1 -4, not the entire population.

The team will not split into 2 or 4.

Anyway there is no getting through to some of you on the logic. 82 Pages at this stage. 

westbound

Quote from: TheGreatest on September 10, 2018, 01:26:31 PM

enough said

Breakdown Alan Brogans argument and tell me which parts you feel are bullshit and untrue, or are you just generalising that all articles against your argument are PR bullshit?

I understand the above, however but that money is not going to the senior footballers, they are not premier league footballers. A journalist last week said Dublin players partners get match day expenses which is a complete and utter lie, that journalist got that confirmed a spoof live on radio and has not retracted the statement, its stuff like that I am not talking about.

Dublin get more money than anyone else is because of the bigger population pool ( don't respond back with per registered player argument) etc, that's nonsense. Does it need to be divided up more yes, but not at Dublins expense IMO.

Dublin need to moved out of Croke Park more, agree, I think all Dubs would prefer to move out of Croker.

Cant do anything with the population argument, its always been there, Dublin senior football pool realistically is adult leagues 1 -4, not the entire population.

Anyway there is no getting through to some of you on the logic. 82 Pages at this stage.

I've seen you mention this a few times. What exactly is your point?

Most counties don't have 1 adult division as strong as adult leagues 1-4 in dublin. Most counties have 1 senior division, 1 intermediate and 1-2 (maybe 3 in some cases) junior divisions.
That's a huge advantage dublin have, so I don't really see the point you are making.

Dinny Breen

enough said

What that Dublin footballers work harder than everyone else, that's his opinion not fact. A BS one at that, unless he has GPS data from every squad in the country, so he can make an informed opinion.

His Daddy thought him to kick with both feet, I teach my young fella to kick with both, this isn't some revolutionary approach confined to Dublin. It's a complete PR piece.

Show us this increased partcipation, year by year breakdown, number of new clubs and green areas purchased to facilitate.

They get the funding of a province! A 4 county province is the next step. Dubs whinge that Dublin's population is diverse and have multiple sporting interests yet you still want the funding to match that population, what is it?

But you still want the funding of a larger population, what is it?

What insightful logic  are bringing?
#newbridgeornowhere

Halfquarter

TheGreatest

Quote from: Dinny Breen on September 10, 2018, 01:48:26 PM

enough said

What that Dublin footballers work harder than everyone else, that's his opinion not fact. A BS one at that, unless he has GPS data from every squad in the country, so he can make an informed opinion.

His Daddy thought him to kick with both feet, I teach my young fella to kick with both, this isn't some revolutionary approach confined to Dublin. It's a complete PR piece.

Show us this increased partcipation, year by year breakdown, number of new clubs and green areas purchased to facilitate.

Dublin need to moved out of Croke Park more, agree, I think all Dubs would prefer to move out of Croker.They get the funding of a province! A 4 county province is the next step. Dubs whinge that Dublin's population is diverse and have multiple sporting interests yet you still want the funding to match that population, what is it?

What insightful logic  are bringing?

That's hard to read, plus you across as a bit of a Ewan.

that's only a snippet of his article, What he saying is playing/ training with his dad from a young age helped him into the footballer he was, no money related. Its a fair comment, probably some natural footballing talent passed down too. Plus their auld one is from Kerry, Yerra.

Don't have it to hand , but Limericks was published in the indo last week or week before.

They get the funding of a province! A 4 county province is the next step. Dubs whinge that Dublin's population is diverse and have multiple sporting interests yet you still want the funding to match that population, what is it?

Correct on both fronts, it goes to coaching children and schools were not all kids are registered GAA players with clubs. Its trying to be all inclusive and attract the kids to GAA over other sports and give them a chance to participate in it

that's the senior football pool, Dublin has many many other aspects to it  than just senior football. Not to mention the actual other sport called hurling.

Thank you for your insightful input.

sid waddell

Good article by Dermot Crowe here.

All the anti-Dublin zealots are missing at this stage are the chants of "Lock! Them! Up!"

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/money-talk-is-wide-of-the-mark-37297041.html

sid waddell

Quote from: Dinny Breen on September 10, 2018, 01:48:26 PM

Show us this increased partcipation, year by year breakdown, number of new clubs and green areas purchased to facilitate. [/b]

Quotehttps://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/money-talk-is-wide-of-the-mark-37297041.html

With the help of State funding the GAA's market share has increased impressively in the capital. The cumulative growth rate in Gaelic football among children between the ages of eight and 12, from 2011 to this year is almost 42 per cent. Over the same period in hurling, the cumulative rate of growth is 64.1 per cent. Could any of this have been seen as a sure thing, a no-brainer? Not that long ago, carrying a hurl in many parts of Dublin might mark you out as a bit odd, and almost certainly from the country. It is a different place now. That is the real story of the investment in Dublin and there are many more like it untold.

Absolutely brilliant to see such growth in youth participation rates.

But this is clearly a bad thing in some people's eyes.

Those people are miserable cranks.

Orchard park

Incredible to think , no new clubs created by the DCB though despite all the grants received