Broadband

Started by Arthur_Friend, October 07, 2013, 04:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

armaghniac

Quote from: Taylor on October 09, 2020, 06:34:57 PM
Have checked Fibrus and Openreach and none in the area yet.

Going to have to try a Sim of some sort.

Any advice on the best deal for this?

I'd start with the fastest speed as measured at your precise location and worry about the deal afterwards.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Taylor

Quote from: armaghniac on October 09, 2020, 06:35:55 PM
Quote from: Taylor on October 09, 2020, 06:34:57 PM
Have checked Fibrus and Openreach and none in the area yet.

Going to have to try a Sim of some sort.

Any advice on the best deal for this?

I'd start with the fastest speed as measured at your precise location and worry about the deal afterwards.

There is one/two bars of 3G/4G on the phone depending on where you stand in the house  ::)

Smokin Joe

Fionntamhnach, I have both an O2 and Vodafone mobile at home.

From walking around the house I can get just 1 bar on 3G on both of those networks.
On that basis do you think mobile broadband would be a practical option for me?

EDIT - I looked at the decibel reading on my iPhone and it is -123 with 2 bars of reception on O2 when I am outside.

Further EDIT - I can hang out an upstairs bedroom and get 2 bars on 4G, but running a speed test on my phone shows a download speed of just 3.21mbps.  Would I have not expected better than that from 4G?

armaghniac

Quote from: Smokin Joe on October 10, 2020, 10:25:01 AM
Further EDIT - I can hang out an upstairs bedroom and get 2 bars on 4G, but running a speed test on my phone shows a download speed of just 3.21mbps.  Would I have not expected better than that from 4G?

the speed will vary constantly, so check it several times.
maybe get an unlocked mobile broadband wifi router with a max aerial on it and put it in the roof space or wherever, the try different sims for a period.

gaaman2016

Get less than 1Mbps with BT, so got a 3 unlimited data sim about three years ago and put an antenna on the roof to boost the signal. Got max of around 10Mbps with 3.
Recently changed to EE, it's a bit pricier but speeds offpeak about 30Mbps and can drop on to 7-8 Mbps on the odd occasion at peak times

On the mobile 3G/4G non existent indoors, sometimes phone signal is even non-existent. Antenna on roof makes a big difference

armaghniac

It is worth noting that there are wimax providers with signal in some parts, I know nothing about them, perhaps Fionntamhnach does,  but I'd check them out if other options are not great.
No doubt you'll find info on these, and comments good and bad, online.
e.g. https://www.bluebox.network/coverage/
https://www.beaconbroadband.co.uk/coverage

Wimax is designed to have an aerial outside, pointing at the mast, connected to a router.

giveherlong

What's the thoughts on Fibrus and Project Stratum https://www.economy-ni.gov.uk/news/ps165m-broadband-improvement-contract-awarded-fibrus-networks-ltd

Will Fibrus be providing fibre to the premises for each of these 76,000 premises?

Hereiam

Given that's it the DUP dealing with this I'm sure they have been well taken care of by Fibrus.

Smokin Joe

Has there been any publication of likely installation dates by postcode / area?

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Smokin Joe on November 18, 2020, 02:56:12 PM
Has there been any publication of likely installation dates by postcode / area?
Red areas first

Smokin Joe

Where is that image from?
Any links?

armaghniac

That map looks suspiciously like a map of the Potestant proportion of the population, which is no doubt what Dodds would prefer.
However, the main partners in the this venture are Taigs. 

Hereiam

Funny how Fivemiletown is red, wonder what the connection is there.... :o

Tony Baloney

Quote from: armaghniac on November 18, 2020, 06:05:46 PM
That map looks suspiciously like a map of the Potestant proportion of the population, which is no doubt what Dodds would prefer.
Rumbled. It's a distribution by religion map from Wiki.

johnnycool

Quote from: Tony Baloney on November 20, 2020, 12:01:14 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on November 18, 2020, 06:05:46 PM
Rumbled. It's a distribution by religion map from Wiki.

Ha, ha,
   you're both ends of a bollox Tony.

Like it though.  ;D