smart tv

Started by pullhard, March 22, 2013, 06:23:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gabriel_Hurl

Quote from: T Fearon on April 04, 2013, 08:29:45 PM
Watching Spurs V Basel live in HD! Just like sitting in the East Stand Lower at the Lane! Smart TV rocks!

Pity about Spurs  ;)

parttimeexile

Thinking about buying a smart TV. What should I look out for? Is there any brand better than others/where to get the best deal etc. All views welcomed..

Applesisapples

Google smart TV's and you'll find Panasonic is always getting top billing. Apple TV is grand, except it can't play sky. You'd probably be better with a wifi connected smart tv and a sky subscription with an undemand connection.

AZOffaly

Quote from: parttimeexile on November 21, 2013, 10:34:41 AM
Thinking about buying a smart TV. What should I look out for? Is there any brand better than others/where to get the best deal etc. All views welcomed..

I have a Samsung for the past 2 years and it is great. It's LCD but the picture is brilliant.

johnneycool

Quote from: AZOffaly on November 21, 2013, 03:07:19 PM
Quote from: parttimeexile on November 21, 2013, 10:34:41 AM

I have a Samsung for the past 2 years and it is great. It's LCD but the picture is brilliant.

Wifi dongle or ethernet connection via an RJ45?

AZOffaly

I use proprietry Samsung wifi dongle in it.

tommysmith

Does sky go work on these tv's?

DuffleKing

Trying to get btsport app off my phone up on the tv. Have the html cable connected thru an adaptor bt its only transferring sound. Any ideas?

Applesisapples

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: pullhard on March 22, 2013, 06:23:19 PM
The old TV has finally given up the ghost. MS PH has, after research chosen a smart TV.
These look like normal LCD/plasma units, but can id told connect to you tube and netflix etc.

The samsung one http://www.johnlewis.com/samsung-ue40es5500-led-hd-1080p-smart-tv-40-inch-with-freeview-hd/p23156069... we're looking at requires a dongle, allow im not really sure what it does, and is it a requirement? does anyone have any experience of smart TV's? Is it worth getting apple tv?

Coincidentally I just purchased this LG one last week. Really excellent. Built in wi-fi so no separate dongle. Lots of apps like Youtube, Facebook, Twitter, Netflix, etc. You can control them with your tablet. You can sync it with your PC if you want to. In fairness browsing the web is a bit clunky yet on all these smart TV's but you probably won't use it much for that.

You can even watch telly on it. ;D

http://www.lg.com/uk/tvs/lg-50LA660V

take_yer_points

Quote from: DuffleKing on November 21, 2013, 07:01:35 PM
Trying to get btsport app off my phone up on the tv. Have the html cable connected thru an adaptor bt its only transferring sound. Any ideas?

I assume you mean a hdmi cable. I haven't tried BT Sports but I know Sky block video streaming on their iPads, iPhones, etc... - you get the sound but not the picture - instead you get a message stating hdmi video streaming has been disabled or something like that. Sounds like BT Sport are doing something similar.

The official line seems to be that it's content providers who have told them they have to block streaming but it sounds like a load of bull. My own opinion is that they're trying to avoid people using Skygo on their mobile device to replace a multiroom subscription. You can still stream using hdmi from your laptop to the TV.

DuffleKing

You canrt get btsport on laptop

take_yer_points

Quote from: DuffleKing on November 23, 2013, 09:38:30 AM

You canrt get btsport on laptop

Are you sure? It says on the link below that you can stream to your PC or Mac ...

http://sport.bt.com/pages/sport/BT-Sport-app-and-online-player/

Minder

"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

DuffleKing

How - there is no app that i can find?