Rome

Started by Longfordian, February 12, 2007, 10:31:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Longfordian

Lads ...appreciate the tips ..... was talking to a friend tonight .....and he basically told me exactly what you all did .....
not a religious nut by any means ...but really looking forward to St Peters and the Vatican ......
Billy ....had a look at the hotel ....it looks the business ..... a bit pricey ....but you only live once !!!....think i'll book it in the morning ....

Thanks again ....much appreciated ......

Bogball XV

try www.hotelclub.net, it's great for specifying exactly where in Rome you want to stay.  I'd recommend somewhere near Spanish Steps, as for seeing Rome in half a day, I know somebody who lived there for 6 months and still hadn't done the half of it - without doubt my favourite city in the world - depends what you're into of course, but the sense of history when walking around the forum, colloseum etc gets me every time.  Trastevere is indeed pretty good for a reasonably priced dinner, also for lunch there are chains of italian restaurants such as brek, ciao etc which are very reasonable and the italians themselves all use them (although they use McDonalds more, but would never admit it!!).

ardal

I think it's already been mentioned, but apparently the Irish college has a ton of interesting stuff (ref TP Coogan)

Pietas

Quote from: Longfordian on February 12, 2007, 10:31:33 PM
Lads looking for a few pointers with regard to Rome .....bringing herself to there this weekend

Flying with Ryanair into Campino ....whats the best way to get into city centre from there .......?

Looking for a reasonably priced hotel close enough to the major attractions ...any recommendations?.....

I flew into Campino and was very badly ripped off by a taxi driver into the city. Take the train into town.

Make sure you give St Peter's a whole day and also allow a day for the Vatican Museum + Sistine Chapel.

I also did the Colleseum, Spanish Steps and Trevi Fountain.  Trip was four days and manged to pack a lot in. 

Stayed in the Napoleon, near the Colleseum.  Make sure you also have a look at the Roman Ruins and the big monumnt built by Mussolini near-by.  Cant think what it is called.

Did a couple of other churches too (St John the Latern and Mary Maji).

Excellent trip, winter is best time to go to Rome, not too hot and easy to get around.  Good shopping around Ottoviano.
In Roman mythology, Pietas was the goddess of duty to one's state, gods and family.

Billys Boots

QuoteI flew into Campino and was very badly ripped off by a taxi driver into the city.

So did I, by the way.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

AZOffaly

I think it was Campino I flew into as well. We took the train, and then I think we got a metro to the Coliseum stop.

gerrykeegan

We flew into DaVinci and got ripped off also.
2007  2008 & 2009 Fantasy Golf Winner
(A legitimately held title unlike Dinny's)

maddog

The Iceman

Quote from: Billys Boots on February 14, 2007, 01:16:15 PM
QuoteI flew into Campino and was very badly ripped off by a taxi driver into the city.

So did I, by the way.

If you fly into Campino go outside the airport and there is a bus for about 3yoyos that takes you to the start of the metro system, from there you can ride anywhere in Rome for about 2 euros.

Ask people when you get there - its simple enough.
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

MW

Quote from: Longfordian on February 13, 2007, 09:08:15 PM
not a religious nut by any means ...but really looking forward to St Peters and the Vatican ......

The Vatican museum is fantastic - you could spend days looking at all the artifacts and artwork including many classical an Renaissance masterpieces. Though eventually you may want to go through a bit quicker to get to the Sistine Chapel.

St Peter's basilica is awesome in its scale and beauty. Make sure you go into the crypt where various popes are buried too.

Like Pietas I stayed in Hotel Napoleon, which was within about 15 minutes walking distance of the Colosseum and the Forum. I'd recommend getting a tour of the Colosseum so you know what you're looking at, also means you beat the queues. The Forum is great to walk round if you're into history and imagining everything that took place on that spot.

The Trevi Fountain is worth going to around sunset - it's beautiful and looks very different in daylight and lit up at night.

maddog

Going on the first of feb for the weekend. The way the flights work out i've effectively 2 whole days to see as much as possible. Looking forward to it all the same. Wonder how bad the crowds would be this time of the year at the Vatican, don't want to waste any time queueing for anything.

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: maddog on January 14, 2008, 11:22:33 AM
Going on the first of feb for the weekend. The way the flights work out i've effectively 2 whole days to see as much as possible. Looking forward to it all the same. Wonder how bad the crowds would be this time of the year at the Vatican, don't want to waste any time queueing for anything.

Go early. Did de Vatican on de 2nd, queue to get in, queue to go up the top of the dome, queue to get into de museums, body was wrecked after all that standing...
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

heineken_on_tap

Just wondering has anyone else been to Rome and have recommendations for a nice hotel in Rome? Looking for one in a good location i.e. near the main attractions and not too pricey. What area would be best to stay in?

AN other

I'd easily recommend Hotel Galatea. It's just off Via Nazionale and good value for money. Not exactly a 4 star hotel but it does the job just fine and is in a good central location with the Collsseum, Forum and Palatine hill to the south and everything else to the north. Everywhere is walkable, just make sure you bring sturdy shoes the cobbles are a killer.....

sail_in

myself and my mate stayed in the Hotel Trilussa Palace during a long weekend in Rome a couple of years ago.  It was billed as a 4* hotel and while there wasn't a thing wrong with it, the room was small and the whole place was basic enough.  I think generally though, hotels in Rome aren't that great (they're in Rome and people are going to go there anyway so they don't really have to be).

It was in a very nice area though - Trastevere which, as mentioned, seems to be where the locals go and you can get some very reasonably priced restaurants.  It's on the same side of the river as the Vatican and on the opposite side from almost everything else, but Rome is a place where you really don't mind walking.  If you walk from there up to the river and across the bridge, shortly on your left hand side is the Campo di Fiori (sp?) which is just a square of bars and restaurants with tables out the front and there's a great atmosphere on weekend nights.  Beware though that the prives can vary dramatically on the square - our round was 2 pints of heineken and we payed everything from E6 to E15. 

There are tourist pub crawls which run on weekend nights too which I would recommend.  One leaves at 9 from the Collesseum Metro stop and it's good enough craic, but the better one gathers at the Spanish Steps at 9 as well.  We went the Saturday night we were there must have been over a hundred people on it.  Great atmosphere - deadly full of yanks though, and that sort of goes for the whole place.