American Sports Thread

Started by magickingdom, October 28, 2007, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

Quote from: deiseach on February 07, 2011, 12:11:21 AM
Why were Pittsburgh so open after the interception? Was that a function of their setup for the throw from the QB?

Yeah, the offense will all be running pre-determined routes, expecting the ball to go to one of three (normally) locations, depending on what the QB sees. If the ball doesn't go there for whatever reason, in this case Roethlisberger getting hit, then the offense will be all running the wrong way and will be stretched trying to recover, especially that close to their own goal. The defender is coming on to the ball and heading towards the endzone, the receivers are having to slam on the breaks and try and get back. A bit like when Meireles passed to Torres in the first half today.

deiseach

Quote from: AZOffaly on February 07, 2011, 12:12:23 AM
By the way, just in case it becomes an issue later on and confuses the shite out of ye.....

A 'kick off', as opposed to a punt, is different in that it becomes a live ball immediately and the kicking team is free to recover without the receiving team touching it. It's like a restart kick off in Rugby. The only stipulation is that , just like in rugby, the ball has to go 10 yards before it becomes live. (You can't just tap the ball and fall on it).

That explains those dinky little kicks they try when they're seven points down with 30 seconds to go.

AZOffaly

Quote from: deiseach on February 07, 2011, 12:15:03 AM
By the way, just in case it becomes an issue later on and confuses the shite out of ye.....

A 'kick off', as opposed to a punt, is different in that it becomes a live ball immediately and the kicking team is free to recover without the receiving team touching it. It's like a restart kick off in Rugby. The only stipulation is that , just like in rugby, the ball has to go 10 yards before it becomes live. (You can't just tap the ball and fall on it).

That explains those dinky little kicks they try when they're seven points down with 30 seconds to go.

Yep, that's called an 'onside' kick.

deiseach

Quote from: AZOffaly on February 07, 2011, 12:14:41 AM
A bit like when Meireles passed to Torres in the first half today.

That's a bad thing, right? Going to be a while to get used to that *sob*

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: AZOffaly on February 07, 2011, 12:15:39 AM

New Orleans Saints ambush play last year.......
You'll Never Walk Alone.

AZOffaly

Quote from: deiseach on February 07, 2011, 12:17:28 AM
Quote from: AZOffaly on February 07, 2011, 12:14:41 AM
A bit like when Meireles passed to Torres in the first half today.

That's a bad thing, right? Going to be a while to get used to that *sob*

It was a bad thing today, and of course I meant Rodriguez, not Meireles.

AZOffaly

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on February 07, 2011, 12:18:39 AM

Correct, they did it after half time and caught the Colts by surprise. It was the Colts wasn't it?

deiseach

That was a quick quarter! I doubt I'll last through the half-time show though

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: AZOffaly on February 07, 2011, 12:20:06 AM
Quote from: The Real Laoislad on February 07, 2011, 12:18:39 AM

Correct, they did it after half time and caught the Colts by surprise. It was the Colts wasn't it?

I dunno I don't follow this that much
You'll Never Walk Alone.

ross4life

"If a cow can't eat it i don't want to play on it"  Dick Allen quote
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Declan

Time for the leaba - hope i'm wrong but think the Steelers will win it

deiseach

Pittsburgh seem to be getting their act together. Grinding it out

AZOffaly

As I said, they are experienced. They will need to assert the running game though.

deiseach

Great run there. Gotta love someone who tries to eke out the extra inches

BallyhaiseMan

Aaron Rodgers, do ye think hes feeling any pressure out there?  :D