American Sports Thread

Started by magickingdom, October 28, 2007, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Celt_Man

Was tuning in and out of the Giant's game... good win to kickstart the season.  Will be watching it a good deal closer this year with Sky in the house and I see there will be a live game every Sunday night on Channel 4!  Happy days ;D
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

Capt Pat

Calvin Johnaon and the lions got destroyed by the refs tonight. He caught the ball in the end zone two feet down, falls down hits the ground rolls over and in the act of getting up puts the ball on the ground and runs away. The umpires can't use common sense any more and after the umpire closest to the play initially gave the score, it was overruled both on the field and in the booth. 30 seconds to go and the Bears win.

To rub salt into the lions wounds. QB Matt Stafford had to leave the game early and might be out for up to 6 weeks.

Capt Pat

It is great to have the NFL back on channel 4. Between that and the internet, I will get a lit of NFL ganome coverage this year.

magpie seanie

Bears were lucky to get out of that. The red zone offence again resembles the keystone cops. O-line is still a mess. Defense looks a bit better and they really deserve most of the credit. Forte looks to be back to what he was like but even at that he'll struggle to run the ball with that o-line.

mc_grens

Watched the Pats last night until half time, then switched to Houston- Indy. Them watched Packers-Eagles.

The Pats Offence looks awesome. Brady to Welker is what it always was. Very impressed with Tate and the 2 tight ends. They threw so many different looks at Cinci they just didn't know what was coming.

As for the other early game- Arian Foster Arian Foster Arian Foster Arian Foster Arian Foster Arian Foster Arian Foster.

The Claw

Anyone know where tonights/Tuesday morning's match between the Jets and Ravens is being shown? Skysports or channel 4 don't seem to have it listed?

Minder

Quote from: The Claw on September 13, 2010, 11:57:46 AM
Anyone know where tonights/Tuesday morning's match between the Jets and Ravens is being shown? Skysports or channel 4 don't seem to have it listed?

Neither, ESPN are showing MNF. Channel 4 are showing the late Sunday night game.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

The Claw

Quote from: Minder on September 13, 2010, 12:12:25 PM
Quote from: The Claw on September 13, 2010, 11:57:46 AM

Neither, ESPN are showing MNF. Channel 4 are showing the late Sunday night game.
ah pants, some illegal streaming is in order so

Club Rossa

Some ending to the Redskins v Cowboys game.Was a poor enough contest throughout,both sides guilty of some shocking errors but Washington's defense restricted the Cowboys to just one score and just about deserved to get the win.

thejuice

I'm really annoyed as a falcons fan with the way they are playing now. And its only after 1 game.

Its a passer friendly league for gods sake. Look at the last 5 or 6 superbowls won by teams that were pass first teams. Yet Mick Mularky our OC has decided to stick with what he calls "smash mouth" football, run Turner up the gut time after time for minimal gains. Matt Ryan's development is being hindered by a complete lack of faith in him. Now maybe he isn't that good but if he is the player they drafted/believe him to be, well its his 3rd season, let him throw the damn thing.

At the same time they were 4th and 1 in the Steelers red-zone and they took a FG instead of actually sticking with the phylosophy of "smashmouth" football. Mike Smith is getting the nick-name Field Goal Mike basically for having a lack of balls.

Have some faith in your team and take some risks, Mike for f**k sake, it will reap its own rewards in the long run even if it doesnt pay off everytime initially.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

RedBolts

Very disappointed with the live games yesterday. Carolina's offence was pathetic. How they even scored 18 points i don't know. Moore totally ineffective at QB and threw some shocking ball. Commentators kept saying how the Panthers are a running team. Well they couldn't run for shit. Giants won by default. Overall I thought they looked poor enough, with the Eli/Nicks partnership the only bright spot for them. Nicks a player to look out for this season.

San Francisco were worse again. They looked totally toothless, especially in the second half when they didn't even want to be there. A lot of talk of the 49ers easing to the NFC West, but not on this showing. Alex Smith just doesn't convince at QB. Seattle played well though in fairness. Good defence and they took their chances when they came. Important.

Didn't see the Redskins/Cowboys game (must develop some sort of bodyclock for these nighttime games!). Knew it would be a dogfight though - with the score never troubling the total points line. Cowboys look like they need improvement if they're to reach their 'own' Superbowl.

Surprised at Colts defeat, but still team to beat. Pats looked OK too, but defence will cost them.

Tonight's games: I reckon the Ravens will take the Jets. They have a good record against NY - winning their last five. And hopefully over 44.5 points is a good bet in SD/Chiefs.

mc_grens

Quote from: RedBolts on September 13, 2010, 02:35:56 PM
Very disappointed with the live games yesterday. Carolina's offence was pathetic. How they even scored 18 points i don't know. Moore totally ineffective at QB and threw some shocking ball. Commentators kept saying how the Panthers are a running team. Well they couldn't run for shit. Giants won by default. Overall I thought they looked poor enough, with the Eli/Nicks partnership the only bright spot for them. Nicks a player to look out for this season.

San Francisco were worse again. They looked totally toothless, especially in the second half when they didn't even want to be there. A lot of talk of the 49ers easing to the NFC West, but not on this showing. Alex Smith just doesn't convince at QB. Seattle played well though in fairness. Good defence and they took their chances when they came. Important.

Didn't see the Redskins/Cowboys game (must develop some sort of bodyclock for these nighttime games!). Knew it would be a dogfight though - with the score never troubling the total points line. Cowboys look like they need improvement if they're to reach their 'own' Superbowl.

Surprised at Colts defeat, but still team to beat. Pats looked OK too, but defence will cost them.

Tonight's games: I reckon the Ravens will take the Jets. They have a good record against NY - winning their last five. And hopefully over 44.5 points is a good bet in SD/Chiefs.

Don't agree at all. In the first half last night the Pats D was fabulous. They clearly took their foot off the gas in the second half and it wasn't until then that Cinci made inroads. I think they played Possum in the preseason and will be better than many expected.

anportmorforjfc

Quote from: RedBolts on September 13, 2010, 02:35:56 PM

Thinking the same myself about Alex smith. Completely sick of all this talk about this being his year to shine. Once again he has showed he just can't cut it, but for some reason singletary won't take him out. If he doesn't improve against the saints next week i think Carr should get a chance! From the 1st three drives should have had at least 13 points and ended up with 6 which gave the hawks hope. Big Big game next Monday night. 0-2 start would be a disaster, especially with the falcons and eagles coming up.

BallyhaiseMan

what the hell was Alex Barron doing last night on the last play of the game???  :o
His stupid holding penalty,i think it was his 4th or 5th penalty of the night,cost  the Cowboys the winning touchdown as Romo found Witten in the endzone as time expired.  ::)  ::)
Unbelieveable stuff.

Puckoon

Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on September 13, 2010, 04:16:06 PM
what the hell was Alex Barron doing last night on the last play of the game???  :o
His stupid holding penalty,i think it was his 4th or 5th penalty of the night,cost  the Cowboys the winning touchdown as Romo found Witten in the endzone as time expired.  ::)  ::)
Unbelieveable stuff.

Most penalised player in the league last year I believe.