American Sports Thread

Started by magickingdom, October 28, 2007, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RMDrive

Quote from: mc_grens on June 16, 2010, 12:39:56 AM
Quote from: RMDrive on June 15, 2010, 10:41:45 PM
Quote from: mc_grens on June 14, 2010, 02:02:39 AM
Lads anybody know where I can play hoops in Dublin?

I havent played in 5 or 6 years, and I'm not after a club, just a pick up game once a week or so...

Check out the bball section on boards. Loads of pickup games being organised in Dublin.

Had a look there- nice one!

Do you go? If so which would you recommend from Mon-Thursday considering it'll take me a wee while to get re-acclimated?

I'm in a bball-free zone in Mayo unfortunately so can't offer any suggestions. I'm sure there will be players of all abilities at most of the games.

thejuice

Heard a report that 60% of NBA players are broke after 5 years of leaving the game, 75% of NFL players are broke just 2 years after leaving the game. Pretty shocking statistics.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Puckoon

new devil

Yea sounds pretty strange...what like because off drugs/alcohol?

stew

Quote from: new devil on June 16, 2010, 08:52:49 PM
Yea sounds pretty strange...what like because off drugs/alcohol?

Some of it yeah, they are very careless with their money and they dont take the advice given out about the leagues, you have eejits like pac man jones who once spent twenty three grand in a strip club in seven hours (allegedly) that is just a ridiculous amount of money to spend on strippers in a lifetime let alone one evening.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Minder

Quote from: thejuice on June 16, 2010, 08:11:26 PM
Heard a report that 60% of NBA players are broke after 5 years of leaving the game, 75% of NFL players are broke just 2 years after leaving the game. Pretty shocking statistics.

I could well believe it, very few are on Peyton Manning money. An NFL career at certain positions would be no longer than four years. The numbers would be slightly skewed, in the case of NFL players anyway, by the amount of players on an NFL roster that would be o the low end of the salary scale. Another factor I would say is the racial makeup of the two sports, predominantly black, moat likely from poor backgrounds making bad decisions with their money and plenty of old chums to help them spend it.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

new devil

Quote from: Minder on June 16, 2010, 08:59:03 PM
Quote from: thejuice on June 16, 2010, 08:11:26 PM

I could well believe it, very few are on Peyton Manning money. An NFL career at certain positions would be no longer than four years. The numbers would be slightly skewed, in the case of NFL players anyway, by the amount of players on an NFL roster that would be o the low end of the salary scale. Another factor I would say is the racial makeup of the two sports, predominantly black, moat likely from poor backgrounds making bad decisions with their money and plenty of old chums to help them spend it.

Yea that would be the biggest cause off it alright

Capt Pat

It is not at all like premier league pay. The money is not guaranteed on a weekly basis, it is often done on a pay as you play basis. If you dont play you don't get paid. No Carlton Cole characters sitting on the bench at the Dallas Cowboys getting full pay.

So essentially that means if your career ends, your career has failed, you haven't been playing for the last couple of years or at all and you haven't been earning big money.

They are also incredibly foolish with their money. They are young guys and to be perfectly honest a lot are complete meatheads. They would make John Terry blush with some of their carry on.

Minder

Another problem they have is they do not get paid every month or week of the year like anyone else. Their salary is pro rated for the length of the 17 week season.

new devil

So nobody gets paid in the offseason??

Minder

Quote from: new devil on June 16, 2010, 09:36:20 PM
So nobody gets paid in the offseason??

No, but obviously if they are on $4m a year they get it all during the season so you would need to put some aside for the rest of the year..............

Tyrones own

Tis very quiet here what with a game 7 staring us in the face...Celtics to bounce back :)
Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann

Puckoon

Quote from: Tyrones own on June 17, 2010, 05:47:56 PM
Tis very quiet here what with a game 7 staring us in the face...Celtics to bounce back :)

Its true what they say about you on here TO - You ARE crazy! ;)

Lakers to take it home tonight. :)

Tyrones own

Lakers 7 point favorites too... might be worth a few $$ not to cover 8)
Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann

Puckoon

I dont think that would come in. What are they at half time? Had a few bucks on them in game 6 to cover -4 at half time.