American Sports Thread

Started by magickingdom, October 28, 2007, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rossie11

Quoteand had three plays which should have been overturned on review
Thats crap.
Meachans catch was legit. Thomas also made the 1st down
The pass interference call to give David Thomas the 1st down was the only bad call, admittedly a terrible call.
Vikes still have only themselves to blame.

thejuice

Quote from: magpie seanie on January 25, 2010, 11:55:35 AM
Fair play to Favre to be able to fight like hell at his age. Big mistake at the end cost his team big time but seems like he took a lot of punishment and sucked it up and kept going for it.

The wife will hardly let him play another season,
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

GalwayBayBoy

Saints weren't that impressive last night really apart from their ability to hit Favre. The Vikings nearly put up double the offence across the board but if you fumble the ball 5 times you are not going to win games like that usually yet they still had it in their own hands with a minute left to play. Daft then to be caught with 12 men in the huddle when they were just inside Longwell's range. Even after that Favre should have ran with that ball instead of throwing it. Even his old legs would probably have gained 5 to 10 yards with the space that was in front of him and that's all they needed. Longwell is a good kicker so he would have had a decent chance from there. Hard to blame Favre though as the Vikings couldn't protect him all game. I'd say he's sore as feck today.

heganboy

Quote from: Rossie11 on January 25, 2010, 11:58:51 AM
Quoteand had three plays which should have been overturned on review
Thats crap.
Meachans catch was legit. Thomas also made the 1st down
The pass interference call to give David Thomas the 1st down was the only bad call, admittedly a terrible call.
Vikes still have only themselves to blame.

or...
meachen didnt have control of the ball when it hit the ground, and although thomas himself  may have made first down the ball didn't and fair play to him, he did some job of holding on to it. The tv replay when you could see both sets of chains showed clearly that the ball was well short of the first...

but in the end it doesn't matter, Saints won and thats that.
I think the vikings should try and hold on to favre no matter how weird that sounds, and i wouldnt have said that before the season started but he had some year with them. wonder who carries the can for the 12 man penalty that cost the game...
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

Puckoon

Stew will be delighted!

I'm of a different opinion. Fair play to Favre to be able to fight like hell at his age. Big mistake at the end cost his team big time but seems like he took a lot of punishment and sucked it up and kept going for it.

Really hope New Orleans do it. Nothing against the Colts but it would be great for the Saints to do it.

I dont think Favre cost them the game - but I wont mind it being pointed out that Im a big Brett fan.

5 turnovers (where the vikings havnt had a 3 turnover game all season) and a penalty for the 12 man huddle?

They left this one behind.

stew

Quote from: Puckoon on January 25, 2010, 06:02:47 PM
Stew will be delighted!

I'm of a different opinion. Fair play to Favre to be able to fight like hell at his age. Big mistake at the end cost his team big time but seems like he took a lot of punishment and sucked it up and kept going for it.

Really hope New Orleans do it. Nothing against the Colts but it would be great for the Saints to do it.

I dont think Favre cost them the game - but I wont mind it being pointed out that Im a big Brett fan.

5 turnovers (where the vikings havnt had a 3 turnover game all season) and a penalty for the 12 man huddle?

Good aul Brett, he never fails to let his team down just when they need him the most, a regular season legend but a playoff bust, the one superbowl win was with the help of one of the most talented packer teams ever and coached by a legend.

Three teams have now lost their whole superbowl aspirations on the back of brett, the pack of course, the jets, (who couldnt stand the guy) and last and by all means least, the VIKINGS.  :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

How does that taste viking fans?  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D  ;DA classless organization gets exactly what it deserves when qb'd by a classless, interception throwing machine.

I love this result, fecking brilliant result, I couldnt be happier that they lost, the are the Down of the National Football League. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Puckoon

Stew, you are so full of unbridled bias and hate on this issue that everything that comes from your Gob about Favre is sheer nonsense!

Its beyond a joke, but enjoy your day in the sun (on the back of a vikings loss, not a packers success btw).

Minder

On last nights showing if the Colts keep the turnovers to a minimum they should beat the Saints by 10 (at least). I don't buy all this bullshit about New Orleans "needing it more" after what happened with hurricane Katrina. Most of those affected were poor blacks that couldn't afford a pint of milk never mind a ticket to an NFL game, but it will be the theme for the next fortnight.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

magickingdom

Quote from: stew on January 25, 2010, 06:11:53 PM
Stew will be delighted!

Good aul Brett, he never fails to let his team down just when they need him the most, a regular season legend but a playoff bust, the one superbowl win was with the help of one of the most talented packer teams ever and coached by a legend.

Three teams have now lost their whole superbowl aspirations on the back of brett, the pack of course, the jets, (who couldnt stand the guy) and last and by all means least, the VIKINGS.  :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

How does that taste viking fans?  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D  ;DA classless organization gets exactly what it deserves when qb'd by a classless, interception throwing machine.

I love this result, fecking brilliant result, I couldnt be happier that they lost, the are the Down of the National Football League. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

ever enter your head stew that the vikings got to the last 4?

stew

Quote from: magickingdom on January 25, 2010, 07:29:05 PM
Quote from: stew on January 25, 2010, 06:11:53 PM
Stew will be delighted!

ever enter your head stew that the vikings got to the last 4?

Big f**king deal, they pissed away the seaon, Favre threw two horrible interceptions, they had five fumbles altogether, they dominated the game statistically but good ole number four does what he does best and that is throws picks at exactly the wrong time.
I have a healthy hate for the vikings, I have held this view for quite some time, they are classless hoors and I was absolutely delighted that they got what they deserved to get.

Favre manipulated the pack, he manipulated the Jets, he even manipulated the vikings and in the process he actually had been playing well, they believed he would take them to the promised land, we knew better. Making the championship game is not the goal, superbowl or bust for Favre and true to form it was bust.

Brett, keep playing son, I know, I just know that the Packers will kick the crap out of the Vikings next year, Rodgers is the real deal and the Vikings will now have to play the favre waiting game, will he or wont he, he will play, he is a money hungry hick who loves himself, I hope he comes back, he will never win the big one, nor will he ever make the big play when they ahve to have it.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

AZOffaly

He already did win the big one stew.

In fairness, it would be easy for Favre to walk away and into a TV studio for some cushy number. The networks love him. I say fair play to him for continuing to play when the body is able. And there's probably 28 teams who'd have swapped with the Vikes yesterday.

I've no great feeling either way for the Vikings, and I like the Packers, but I think Favre owes nothing to GB.

AZOffaly

By the way, delighted for the Saints. I know it's easy to be trite and pay lip service to the community, but some of them lads, especially Brees and Bush, have done unreal work and donated a lot of money to projects in New Orleans. Remember Brees had a chance to go to a brilliant lifestyle in Miami, or New Orleans. Salary Cap rules meant he'd get more or less the same money in either place, but he chose New Orleans, even after Sean Payton showed him around the worst hit areas of the Bayou and New Orleans. He is a nice guy, in a league with quite a few tossers, but an awful lot of good guys too. (Kurt Warner is another).

On another note, it must be a few years since the #1 seeds both made the Superbowl. I can't remember off the top of my head.

Minder

1993 was the last time AZ, Cowboys and Bills I think.

Edit - 1994.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

heganboy

Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

the Deel Rover

Only got into the american football the past 3 or 4 years so can any one tell me how Drew Brees ended up in New Orleans he was with the Chargers wasn't he ?
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001