American Sports Thread

Started by magickingdom, October 28, 2007, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ballinaman

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on December 03, 2009, 05:58:36 PM
Bills vs Jets in Toronto tonight - managed to pick up 4 tickets for the price of 1  :o

Why is it in Toronto?? Like international series in London or something?

Capt Pat

Quote from: mc_grens on December 01, 2009, 02:56:47 PM
Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on December 01, 2009, 01:56:21 PM
Quote from: mc_grens on December 01, 2009, 07:53:04 AMyou were right about Brees, but the Pats, all season, have looked far from the class of the field.

Far from it - their defence is all at sea sometimes - they are what   ...... 1-4 away from Foxboro - people need to realise that they aren't the team that went 16-0 a few years back

Take a look at some of the teams they've beaten - Tampa Bay and Tennessee were both 0-6 when the Pats played them

Absolutely. They'll win their division, but I don't think they'll get a first round bye, and I can see them going down on the road to Indy or San Diego on the playoffs. They just have too many holes. I also font see the sane ruthlessness in Belichik these days as in years past... He pulled all his starters with 6 minutes to play last night. That would never have happened 3 years back.

It is amazing that the Patriots have holes with all the draft picks they seem to have every year. Maybe they should actually use some and get some good players.

Gabriel_Hurl

Quote from: ballinaman on December 03, 2009, 06:01:06 PM
Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on December 03, 2009, 05:58:36 PM
Bills vs Jets in Toronto tonight - managed to pick up 4 tickets for the price of 1  :o

Why is it in Toronto?? Like international series in London or something?

Buffalo is only about an hour away and 25% of Bills seaon ticket holders live here. Plus the Bills are struggling to sell out games.

So the owner of the Blue Jays basically paid $80million to hold 8 Bills games in his stadium over the next 5 years - with the possibility of the team relocating here for good shortly after that it things go well

heganboy

Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Capt Pat on December 03, 2009, 07:38:41 PM
Quote from: mc_grens on December 01, 2009, 02:56:47 PM
Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on December 01, 2009, 01:56:21 PM
Quote from: mc_grens on December 01, 2009, 07:53:04 AMyou were right about Brees, but the Pats, all season, have looked far from the class of the field.

Far from it - their defence is all at sea sometimes - they are what   ...... 1-4 away from Foxboro - people need to realise that they aren't the team that went 16-0 a few years back

Take a look at some of the teams they've beaten - Tampa Bay and Tennessee were both 0-6 when the Pats played them

Absolutely. They'll win their division, but I don't think they'll get a first round bye, and I can see them going down on the road to Indy or San Diego on the playoffs. They just have too many holes. I also font see the sane ruthlessness in Belichik these days as in years past... He pulled all his starters with 6 minutes to play last night. That would never have happened 3 years back.

It is amazing that the Patriots have holes with all the draft picks they seem to have every year. Maybe they should actually use some and get some good players.

Well when they last won the Super Bowl their defence was getting pretty old. They have drafted younger guys in defence but it will take them time to get the formula right. Their secondary especially is very inexperienced at the moment though bar the veteran Bodden and they were picked apart by Brees but they will get better. The Pats don't tend to take high draft picks though. They prefer to trade down in order to get more picks further down the draft and trust that they can unearth some gems down there.

stew

Quote from: mc_grens on December 01, 2009, 07:53:04 AM
Quote from: stew on November 29, 2009, 05:26:23 AM
Quote from: thejuice on November 29, 2009, 01:59:10 AM
Pats or Saints this weekend?

Feeling the Saints will do it.

Nah they wont, the Pats are the class of the field and the have thrown away two games already the year. Prediction, Pats 34 Saints 27.

Brees is a stud however and as long as the hated vikings and that cnut favre dont win it all I wil be happy enough, he is the poster child for all that is wrong with american sports imo.

you were right about Brees, but the Pats, all season, have looked far from the class of the field.

As for Brees, he's been great when called on this year, but the keys for the Saints have been improved D under Gregg Williams, and better offensive balance.

Manning on the other hand puts his undefeated team on his shoulders every single week. When he leaves the game we'll be calling him the Greatest Of All Time, and we'll be right!

The Pats are not right, Brady is not right since the injury but I have to believe that they will make the playoffs and go on a run, they are too good to be playing this badly.

Manning is a great QB but Brady has had the better career, 3 superbowl wins to Mannings one. Manning needs at least two to be mentioned in the same breath as Brady or Starr or Montana.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Minder

Quote from: stew on December 03, 2009, 09:14:03 PM

Nah they wont, the Pats are the class of the field and the have thrown away two games already the year. Prediction, Pats 34 Saints 27.

Brees is a stud however and as long as the hated vikings and that cnut favre dont win it all I wil be happy enough, he is the poster child for all that is wrong with american sports imo.

you were right about Brees, but the Pats, all season, have looked far from the class of the field.

As for Brees, he's been great when called on this year, but the keys for the Saints have been improved D under Gregg Williams, and better offensive balance.

Manning on the other hand puts his undefeated team on his shoulders every single week. When he leaves the game we'll be calling him the Greatest Of All Time, and we'll be right!

The Pats are not right, Brady is not right since the injury but I have to believe that they will make the playoffs and go on a run, they are too good to be playing this badly.

Manning is a great QB but Brady has had the better career, 3 superbowl wins to Mannings one. Manning needs at least two to be mentioned in the same breath as Brady or Starr or Montana.

If Indy didnt have Manning they wouldnt be half the team. I would take Manning before Brady any day of the week. Its not an individual sport so you cant say one was greater because they won more Superbowls.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Minder on December 03, 2009, 09:17:31 PM

If Indy didnt have Manning they wouldnt be half the team. I would take Manning before Brady any day of the week. Its not an individual sport so you cant say one was greater because they won more Superbowls.

In fairness to Brady the Pats won superbowls with some fairly average wide receivers. Manning has had guys like Marvin Harrison and Reggie Wayne to work with. Brady never had a truly top class WR to throw to until Randy Moss arrived.

mc_grens

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on December 03, 2009, 10:35:45 PM

In fairness to Brady the Pats won superbowls with some fairly average wide receivers. Manning has had guys like Marvin Harrison and Reggie Wayne to work with. Brady never had a truly top class WR to throw to until Randy Moss arrived.

Very true. But those Pats teams were built on D and balanced attack. This years Colts are thus far undefeatwd with no run game and no secondary.

David McKeown

Quote from: mc_grens on December 03, 2009, 11:41:48 PM
Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on December 03, 2009, 10:35:45 PM

Very true. But those Pats teams were built on D and balanced attack. This years Colts are thus far undefeatwd with no run game and no secondary.

Given the choice between the two I would still take Brady for a better big game temperament, no one Id like more if you needed to go down the field late in a big game
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

Minder

Vick with a rushing TD against..........the Falcons.

magickingdom

Quote from: Minder on December 06, 2009, 07:59:09 PM
Vick with a rushing TD against..........the Falcons.

'man bites dog story'  ;D

the saints just tied with the skins....

ONeill

Chargers flying at the minute. Gates on fire. Still not convinced they're anywhere near SB material yet.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Minder

Gates averaging over 20yds a reception tonight. Chargers will be very dangerous in the playoffs.

FL/MAYO

Miami win in a great game against the Pats. Henne looks like he will be a very good quarterback.

♫♫ Miami has the Dolphins, the greatest football team! They take the ball from goal to goal, like no one's ever seen! They're in the air, they're on the ground, they're always in control! And, when you say Miami, your talking Super Bowl!!!! Cause we're the Miami Dolphins! Miami Dolphins! Miami Dolphins #1! ♫♫

Worst song ever ;D