American Sports Thread

Started by magickingdom, October 28, 2007, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

QuoteFirst thing I was thought as a defender when playing soccer was always keep yer man in front of you when defending a long ball..

Depends Laoislad. That was a phenomonal throw into the only space it could have been caught. In general in the NFL you get corner backs trying to break in front of the play, because the receivers will catch nearly everything that actually makes it into their hands, so the idea is to get your hands there before them, or else at the same time to break it up. Playing purely from behind means they'll catch everything, and that is only used with a big lead, when you don't mind the recievers catching it, but you want them to play in front of you. It's called the 'prevent' defence, i.e. prevent a big scoring play.

However, inside 10 yards, with the routes the receivers take, it's very hard to keep them in front of you, so you usually go man for man, with the extra defenders picking up the common 'zones'. If you look at that play again, the man covering him was too far off him, but the others were in good position. An underthrown ball would have been picked off. An over thrown one would have been caught out of bounds. sometimes you just have to tip your hat.

The big plays on that drive were the 1st and 20 that got 13 yards. The big play that the safety fell down on just before the TD pass. If they had defended either of them properly, it would have been FG at best for the Steelers.

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: AZOffaly on February 02, 2009, 02:02:55 PM
QuoteFirst thing I was thought as a defender when playing soccer was always keep yer man in front of you when defending a long ball..

Depends Laoislad. That was a phenomonal throw into the only space it could have been caught. In general in the NFL you get corner backs trying to break in front of the play, because the receivers will catch nearly everything that actually makes it into their hands, so the idea is to get your hands there before them, or else at the same time to break it up. Playing purely from behind means they'll catch everything, and that is only used with a big lead, when you don't mind the recievers catching it, but you want them to play in front of you. It's called the 'prevent' defence, i.e. prevent a big scoring play.

However, inside 10 yards, with the routes the receivers take, it's very hard to keep them in front of you, so you usually go man for man, with the extra defenders picking up the common 'zones'. If you look at that play again, the man covering him was too far off him, but the others were in good position. An underthrown ball would have been picked off. An over thrown one would have been caught out of bounds. sometimes you just have to tip your hat.

The big plays on that drive were the 1st and 20 that got 13 yards. The big play that the safety fell down on just before the TD pass. If they had defended either of them properly, it would have been FG at best for the Steelers.

Fair enough I can see what your saying.
As i said I don't know too much about the game,last night was actually the first time I watched a entire game from start to finish,it was just something I thought might have helped if someone was behind the fella that caught the ball to punch it out of his grasp before he caught it..
or even do a Darby on him and push him in the back and then catch the ball himself  ;)
You'll Never Walk Alone.

The Iceman

Quote from: The Iceman on January 29, 2009, 06:26:51 PM
the cardinals -7 are worth a bet I would say.......
GSP in the UFC and the Cardinals Double this weekend - $12 bet pays $67

Not a whole pile of money but kept me interested and nice result.
Sorry to see the cardinals lose but it was a good enough game  - 2 minutes to go I thought they had it but the calls went against them yesterday and the steelers and big ben were on a mission
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

Capt Pat

What about the final incomplete pass that was ruled a fumble lads. That was a terrible decision and it was never reviewed. There was a penalty on Pittsburgh that would have brought Arizona down to the Pittsburgh 29 for 1 or possibly even 2 attempts at the endzone.

longball

stayed up to watch the superbowl last nite was very entertaining!was rooting for the pilgrams but thats life
Spotted any unladylike behaviour report within:
http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=13209.0

BallyhaiseMan

his hand was definetely coming forward on that last pass, HOW was it a fumble??
the chances of Arizona winning was slight anyway,
Hail Marys into the end zone dont work too often.
Poor Defensive play by Arizona to leave a Steeler receiver open in the endzone with 30 seconds to go even thought they must have had 8 defensive backs out there.
uncharacteristic of the Cardinals D in the playoffs who were absolutely outstanding.

AZOffaly

I think it was a fumble because the first contact actually knocked the ball loose in Warners hand. He more 'pushed' the ball forward than had control for a proper throw. I don't think that was a bad call. There were some bad ones though. Dansby's 15 yarder on Roethlisberger was close, as was Adrian Wilsons 'running over the holder'. He was completely off balance and staggered into him.

At the end of the day though, the Cards 'D' had a 1st and 20, inside the Steelers 20, with just over 2 minutes remaining. They should have been able to close the deal there, or at least limit them to a fieldgoal. Poor coverage on 2 longish pass plays were the difference.

BallyhaiseMan

Definetely wasnt roughing the passer that one near the end,(dansby??) on Big Ben, the Cardinal defender had already opened his body to make the hit.
It wasnt like he drilled him,or caught him above the helmet either, a slight push in the back.
Refs were far too eager to throw the yellow flags,
Aizona had what over 100 yards in penalties????

AZOffaly

The Cards had something like 109 yards in penalties. That's a goal to goal touchdown drive in itself. As I said, some were harsh, but a lot was due to the nervy opening, and there were several holding calls on the O-Line as they struggled with the Steelers pass rush. Sometimes you take them though, because it's better at times than letting Warner get hammered.

The rest of the penalties were either harsh or bone headed. Rogers Cromartie got caught out a fair bit as well, he was having a great post season,  but his rookiness caught up with him. He played way too soft on Holmes, and then ended up missing tackles.

BallyhaiseMan

Do you think the Cards will stay with Warner for another season or give Matt Leinart a chance AZ? i know it seems a ridiculous question after the season hes just had,but im guessing with the 40-50 million dollars invested in Leinart,they want to see if he can lead this team for the next 10-12 years.

AZOffaly

I'd say they'll try and keep him, but I think he might retire. Leinhart will be the QB of the future, and if he learns off Warner it will be worthwhile. I think the scheme will suit Leinhart when he gets comfortable.

If I was to guess, I would say James will go, Warner will stay, and Boldin will go for a top RB. They'll draft another WR and Fitzgerald and Breaston will be 1-2 next year.

Minder

Great game. When the Cardinals D needed to stiffen at the end they became the Cards of old. The long pass to Holmes was actually the back breaker. Even if the Steelers didnt get in they had a chip shot to go to O.T. I had a feeling the Cards scored too early, as 3 minutes is an eternity in an NFL game. I actually thought it was pretty poor coverage by the 3 Cards DB's for the winning score. They were not deep enough in the end zone and seemed to get drawn to the ball. Dockett had a tremendous second half. Interesting to see if Warner comes back, he had a great game even though im sure he wants the slant back that Harrison took to the house. They should have thrown a jump ball to Larry Fitt. Always sad to see the end of the NFL season...............  :'(
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Capt Pat

I think Boldin would be foolish to leave and I don't think Warner should retire. They should also try to get Edg games to change his mind about leaving and add a few new defensive acquisitons and they could win the superbowl next year. Warner is a class act and could play forever. They have a lot of salary cap room to invest in new defensive players or a running back free agent. Whisenhunt is also a good young head coach, things are looking good for this franchise.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Capt Pat on February 02, 2009, 04:59:58 PM
I think Boldin would be foolish to leave and I don't think Warner should retire. They should also try to get Edg games to change his mind about leaving and add a few new defensive acquisitons and they could win the superbowl next year. Warner is a class act and could play forever. They have a lot of salary cap room to invest in new defensive players or a running back free agent. Whisenhunt is also a good young head coach, things are looking good for this franchise.

You'd imagine the Cards should make a run again next season if they can hold onto most of their key men. They are in a weak division so should be favourites to at least reach the play-offs again.

Puckoon

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on February 02, 2009, 05:05:20 PM
Quote from: Capt Pat on February 02, 2009, 04:59:58 PM

You'd imagine the Cards should make a run again next season if they can hold onto most of their key men. They are in a weak division so should be favourites to at least reach the play-offs again.

Im not sure GBB. I cant help but feel that they got in there due to the other teams effectively blowing it at the end of the regular season, and in the playoffs. As they say, anything can happen in the playoffs, but they will only have deserved this year in my mind, if they can replicate the season next year.