American Sports Thread

Started by magickingdom, October 28, 2007, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gabriel_Hurl

Quote from: gallsman on June 01, 2016, 04:46:23 PM
Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on June 01, 2016, 02:36:23 PM
Great read from one of the GOAT

http://www.theplayerstribune.com/2016-6-1-ken-griffey-jr-mariners-best-play-i-ever-made%E2%80%8B/

It's amazing how all these top stars who right write for TPT are capable of really good prose, isn't it?  ;)

Like some posters here  ;D

gallsman

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on June 01, 2016, 04:51:36 PM
Quote from: gallsman on June 01, 2016, 04:46:23 PM
Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on June 01, 2016, 02:36:23 PM
Great read from one of the GOAT

http://www.theplayerstribune.com/2016-6-1-ken-griffey-jr-mariners-best-play-i-ever-made%E2%80%8B/

It's amazing how all these top stars who right write for TPT are capable of really good prose, isn't it?  ;)

Like some posters here  ;D

Christ, that's an embarrassing one.

Oraisteach

Technically, I believe that Anderson Varejao is eligible for an NBA championship ring whether the Warriors or Cavs win.  He played for the Cavs for over 12 years but was traded to Portland this year, and then to Golden State.  If the Cavs pull the upset, should he accept the ring?

Gabriel_Hurl

Asal Mor

The Splash Brothers only score 20 and they still win by 15. Doesn't bode well for the series. The sweep might be good value at 6/1. Eastern Conference is relatively, very weak.

gallsman

Quote from: Asal Mor on June 03, 2016, 11:23:13 AM
The Splash Brothers only score 20 and they still win by 15. Doesn't bode well for the series. The sweep might be good value at 6/1. Eastern Conference is relatively, very weak.

They won't sweep them for one reason - LeBron.

Love actually played quite well, so it's really difficult to see how they can make the leap required.

Rois

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 01, 2016, 01:15:42 PM

and 95 days to Georgia Tech v Boston College in D'Aviva.
Loved my college football experience at Baylor v SMU last year so going to try again with a small Alabama college on our way through Mobile AL in September.  South Alabama Jaguars v Georgia Southern. 

gallsman

Quote from: Rois on June 03, 2016, 01:10:17 PM

Loved my college football experience at Baylor v SMU last year so going to try again with a small Alabama college on our way through Mobile AL in September.  South Alabama Jaguars v Georgia Southern.

Nobody is enjoying the college football experience at Baylor these days...

Rois

Quote from: gallsman on June 03, 2016, 01:33:14 PM

I don't even understand what you mean - I just loved the whole experience at a small college (SMU), them running an actual mini mustang horse across the field each time SMU scored, the band, being at the recording of College Game Day that morning etc.  Was so much better than the NFL game we went to a week later at San Diego. 

AZOffaly

The football team have been alleged to have perpetrated several sexual assaults on women on campus, and the head coach, and other authority figures (including police) ignored/covered it up. All holy hell has broken out, and the Head Coach has been fired, the Athletics Director has been 'reassigned' back down to lecturer. There's a serious fear that the whole football program may be suspended.

gallsman

Quote from: Rois on June 03, 2016, 01:49:37 PM
Quote from: gallsman on June 03, 2016, 01:33:14 PM

I don't even understand what you mean - I just loved the whole experience at a small college (SMU), them running an actual mini mustang horse across the field each time SMU scored, the band, being at the recording of College Game Day that morning etc.  Was so much better than the NFL game we went to a week later at San Diego.

Was using your aptly timed post to segue into a story that we haven't mentioned here. Baylor's football program is in the depths of a sexual abuse scandal by players that was, at best, ignored by coaches and the university's administration. The coach was sacked during the week and the President of the university (Ken Starr, of Blowjobgate fame) has had his responsibilities reduced.

AZOffaly

This is all at Baylor by the way, not SMU. Although coincidentally the SMU football team was kicked out of the NCAA due to repeated violations years ago, and is really only making it's way back to where it was.

gallsman

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 03, 2016, 01:57:28 PM
This is all at Baylor by the way, not SMU. Although coincidentally the SMU football team was kicked out of the NCAA due to repeated violations years ago, and is really only making it's way back to where it was.

There's a billiant 30 for 30 on that. Was at the tail-end of the 80s I think? Really shows what the "death penalty" can do to a program.

AZOffaly

1987. The never even made a bowl game (a winning season) until 2009!