American Sports Thread

Started by magickingdom, October 28, 2007, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oraisteach

Gallsman, though your remarks about Love are, for the most part, true, I think he's been better of late and he would have played a vital role in the Bulls' series with both his size and 3-point shooting.  Now, the Bulls' bigs can collapse into the paint making the path to the hoop much too congested for James and Irving.  I hope you're right, but I see nothing handy about this series for the Cavs.

gallsman

Fair enough, "handy" maybe a bit much but I still see them getting by without going to 7.

Big win for the Clippers tonight (Austin Rivers scored 16 on 7 of 8!). After the pasting they took last time out, that was horridly impressive.

Muck Savage

Quote from: stringbean on April 26, 2015, 10:56:59 PM
Been watching the NHL playoffs over last couple of weeks - have to say there has been some real good series matchups - the islanders - caps game last night was unreal. Think the parity of the league really comes through. Not having a dig at the NBA playoffs as but they really only come good in the latter rounds - too many one sided series.

In the NHL it seems any team can win once they get a hot goalie. A lot of fun to watch, though this year not as fun without the Sharks.
For the Warriors same I hope the Clippers/Spurs game goes to 7. Think the Spurs will win and hope the long series will take it out of the older players.

On another note was looking at the game in wages NHL players get compared to the overpaid basketball players. The gap is huge for the effort they put in during the regular season.

oakleaflad

So with the NFL draft starting tonight, what is your teams needs and who would you like to see your team select in the first round?

AZOffaly

There are 200,000 people expected to Chicago's 'draft town' for the first round tonight. That's 200,000 to watch an event ON TV, where there are no games played at all. The NFL is mental.

As regards the draft, looks like the Buccs are going to go with Winston. If they do Mariotta might fall a little bit. Running back is deep, I'd like to see the Cardinals take a running back or else a great pass rush. They've lost a little bit on defense in the off season. They might be in for Peterson too before all is said and done. A corner wouldn't go amiss either. Todd Gurley would be nice, but so would  a top pass rusher.

cadhlancian

There is no chance of Marriotta falling. None. There are at least 3 teams right who will make a play at moving up for the Titans pick, somebody will get something done if the Titans don't want him.

AZOffaly

Probably right. I think there might be a trade though. I'm not sure the Titans will take him. Will the Browns try move up? They have 2 first round picks this year. Although they said they are committed to Johnny Maziel.

stew

Winston is an arsehole, I would not touch him, the safe qb pick is Mariotta, Winston has character issues although he is said to be the smartest player in the draft.

If the Browns move up it is bye bye Johnny football, he has been a mare for the Browns and they have no faith in him at all at all.

Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Oraisteach

I'd like to see the Browns try to pick up Mariota, but I fear the asking price will be too steep.  I see the Titans asking for the 12th and 19th picks in this year's first round as well as the Browns' first round pick next year.  Mariota or not, the Browns managed the unthinkable in last year's draft--avoid drafting a top tier WR, even though there were tons of them and they knew Josh Gordon would not play.  So, we need a decent WR because no matter who the QB is, he'll be useless without solid receivers.  If we fail to draft WRs, then the only fun in Cleveland will be watching Johnny Manziel running for his life pursued by ravenous, athletic, 250-300 pound dogs.  If they catch him, it'll give a brand new meaning to the term 'Dawg Pound'!

oakleaflad

For the Dolphins I would be happy with DeVante Parker, Todd Gurley, Brandon Scherff or a trade down. Barring that the best available corner or ILB, I just don't think there are really elite talents at those positions (not sold on Trae Waynes). I would have been happy with La'el Collins too before yesterdays debacle, he's probably innocent but you can't take that chance now.
I think we probably have the best chance of landing Gurley out of my three favorite picks. Would be worried about the Rams, Vikings and Browns picking up Parker and think the Giants could take Scherff.

Regarding the quarterbacks I think they are gone 1 and 2, 50/50 on whether the Titans will take Mariota or trade. You could see the Eagles, Browns, Jets or possibly the Chargers trade up with the Rivers situation. 

deiseach

It's a very general question and I'm sure there is no right answer, but feck it, it's a general American sports thread so here goes. Does anyone have any thoughts on when football overtook baseball as America's Game? I'm assuming here we can all agree this has happened. When you see the crowds you get at what are the equivalent of Under-21 matches and millions of people tuning into the NFL draft, I think it's self-evident. If you were asked to identify a tipping point when football became the dominant force, what would it be?

Crete Boom

Quote from: deiseach on April 30, 2015, 05:00:26 PM
It's a very general question and I'm sure there is no right answer, but feck it, it's a general American sports thread so here goes. Does anyone have any thoughts on when football overtook baseball as America's Game? I'm assuming here we can all agree this has happened. When you see the crowds you get at what are the equivalent of Under-21 matches and millions of people tuning into the NFL draft, I think it's self-evident. If you were asked to identify a tipping point when football became the dominant force, what would it be?

The great "Jimmy the Greek" reckoned this happened in the mid 70's to early 80's with the increased television coverage of football ,claiming the violent aspect made it a perfect fit for television and I have heard others claim the baseball strike in 1994 that postponed the World Series turned a lot of people off baseball.

deiseach

Now I know where the name 'Smooth Jimmy Apollo' came from!

magpie seanie

I see Sky have despatched Jim White, yellow tie and all, to Chicago for the draft. The NFL's equivalent of transfer deadline day according the to man himself. Sky do love a bit of hype!

I know very little about the players coming out of college but everyone seems to be thinking da Bears will go for a WR in Round 1 to replace Brandon Marshall and play opposite Alshon Jeffrey. Amari Cooper and Kevin White mentioned regularly. Bears have a lot of needs. Defense has been historically bad the last two campaigns and good and all a coach as he is, Vic Fangio can't go out there and do it himself. A few good additions in free agency on 1 year "prove it" contracts and you'd hope Jared Allen and others couldn't be as lacklustre as last season....

Muck Savage

QB's 1 & 2 in the draft. Good QB's this year and will be interesting to see if the start.