American Sports Thread

Started by magickingdom, October 28, 2007, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

magpie seanie

Watched a recording of the MNF game last evening. Was happy to see the Bears defense is improved despite a long injury list again. They're giving up tons of yardage but not touchdowns. DL getting pressure on QB's makes everyone's job that little bit easier. Jared Allen's battle with D'brickashaw Ferguson was excellent, Allen getting on top near the end was key. Willie Young looks a bad man. Paea, Sutton and Ego Ferguson having impact in the middle. Promising.

Jets are pretty badass on defense with all those creative blitzes. Bears o-line held up well in protection even if the run game was a bust.

cadhlancian

The Jets defense is only strong up front. Their backfield is very average, they won't allow much on the ground, but teams will keep at it, just to get at their DB,s.

Gabriel_Hurl

Some fairytale ending for Derek Jeter's final game at Yankee Stadium tonight.

And a huge performance from Eli Manning tonight as well

magpie seanie

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on September 26, 2014, 04:18:11 AM

Just when you're sure Eli is a donkey ha starts playing well. Made a tough call between Niles Paul and Larry donnell in one of my fantasy leagues last night. No prizes for guessing who I went with!

gallsman

Quote from: magpie seanie on September 26, 2014, 08:26:46 AM
Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on September 26, 2014, 04:18:11 AM

Just when you're sure Eli is a donkey ha starts playing well. Made a tough call between Niles Paul and Larry donnell in one of my fantasy leagues last night. No prizes for guessing who I went with!

There was a really good article on Grantland last week about the abuse Eli was taking after the Week 2 loss. Pointed out that is absolutely wasn't his fault - o-line and receivers failed him completely.

Eli has taken knocks and stick throughout his career but has always come back from any shakiness.

Syferus

Ole Miss knock off No. 3 Bama, the No. 4 Sooners lose to TCU, No. 6 Texas A&M lost to Miss St. and No. 2 Oregon got wrecked for the second season in a row by Arizona on Thursday night..

No. 5 Auburn 17 up at home to No.15 LSU right now.. maybe it's the Tigers' moment.

Ole Miss have made their first 5-0 start since their infamous 1962 season. Anyone that hasn't watched the 30 for 30 doc Ghosts of Ole Miss should have a gander now.

Oraisteach

Auburn are in the catbird seat, stuffing the Bayou Bengals at the minute.  Frankly, the Noles have not impressed me so far, even with an easy win against Weak Forest.  Curious to see how today's upsets affect other 1-loss teams. Norte Dame got a quality win over Stanford, as well. Look forward to the Auburn-Miss. St. upcoming game--Each should be highly ranked unbeaten teams.

Asal Mor

Quote from: Syferus on October 05, 2014, 12:36:02 AM
Anyone that hasn't watched the 30 for 30 doc Ghosts of Ole Miss should have a gander now.

Great shout.

Syferus

Quote from: Oraisteach on October 05, 2014, 03:10:47 AM
Auburn are in the catbird seat, stuffing the Bayou Bengals at the minute.  Frankly, the Noles have not impressed me so far, even with an easy win against Weak Forest.  Curious to see how today's upsets affect other 1-loss teams. Norte Dame got a quality win over Stanford, as well. Look forward to the Auburn-Miss. St. upcoming game--Each should be highly ranked unbeaten teams.

Could easily be No. 2 visiting No. 3. Auburn's run is murdeous - five of this six game stretch (LSU included) are again ranked (and highly ranked at that) teams. If Auburn make it to the playoffs they'll have earnt it.

They do look better and more balanced than last year, but with that schedule they'd need to be.

Winston seems to be losing the plot a little in Tally but given how much better than the rest of the ACC the 'Noles are they still are a good bet for the playoffs and things could be very different in December and January.

Asal Mor

I've just been reading a little bit about the Washington Redskins name controversy. It's incredible that in the year 2014 they are still refusing to change it, despite requests from several Native American groups who find it offensive.

RealSpiritof98

Some unreal finishes to the early games.

magpie seanie

Quote from: Asal Mor on October 05, 2014, 05:35:14 PM
I've just been reading a little bit about the Washington Redskins name controversy. It's incredible that in the year 2014 they are still refusing to change it, despite requests from several Native American groups who find it offensive.

PC nonsense if you ask me. Should Notre Dame's nickname be changed? Very negative connotations towards Irish people.....  ::)

AZOffaly

It is a tricky one though Seanie. If Notre Dame were the Fighting Micks, it wouldn't be as accepted I think. Also, this is referring to their skin colour. The Chicago Negroes wouldn't be very acceptable either.

I assume it's the skin colour that's the problem, as I haven't heard much about the Chiefs, or the Braves in Baseball. I think there was some hassle with the Cleveland Indians alright, but again it seemed to be based on the fact that their mascot was very 'cartoon indian' type.

magpie seanie

I've read a lot about it and I reckon it's pure PC gone mad crap. What about your Cardinals? Think of all of them that did nothing to stop paedophile priests*?  :P And as for Bears - Bears have killed people. Such a sick nickname to have on a team. victims of Bear violence really shouldn't have to put up with this affront.

If you twist things and deliberately take them out of context (* I am aware a Cardinal is a bird in the AZ team nickname) you can make anything seem offensive. These are bloody team nicknames and as the Redskins owner says - it is worn as a badge of honour by their organisation.

The most offensive thing about the Redskins is that they pretty much stink at football.

AZOffaly

My old English teacher (RIP) used to tell me I was being facetious, with fair regularity. I think you are being facetious now :)

I don't think a nickname like the Chicago Negroes or Dallas Blackfaces would be allowed. And that's why I think Redskins is offensive to some.

Nothing to do with Bears, Cardinals, Lions or Vikings.

As I said, there appears to be several other team names which don't cause much hassle, like the Chiefs, Blackhawks, Braves, Seminoles, Utes etc. None of them refer to the tribes in a derogatory way. Redskin is very similar to Negro or Nigger in it's usage.