American Sports Thread

Started by magickingdom, October 28, 2007, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Claw

Amazing, what a man Tebow is, but also what a team Denver are. Some massive plays by the D and from Thomas.
Celt_man, i'd say they might have been worried that if they missed and there was a second or two left on the clock that Prater would have nailed it the other way, he has a big leg in that thin air and sure he was hitting the upright from the kickoffs.

J70

Optimism starting to grow in NYC. People talking about the possibility of beating the Packers on Sunday.

Celt_Man

Quote from: The Claw on January 09, 2012, 01:43:08 AM
Amazing, what a man Tebow is, but also what a team Denver are. Some massive plays by the D and from Thomas.
Celt_man, i'd say they might have been worried that if they missed and there was a second or two left on the clock that Prater would have nailed it the other way, he has a big leg in that thin air and sure he was hitting the upright from the kickoffs.

So if the Steelers went for a FG and missed then Denver would have had the ball from the place the FG attempt took place??

the finer point of NFL elude me at times
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

DrinkingHarp

Gaaboard Predict The World Cup Champion 2014

Muck Savage

Crap game.
The BCS needs to bring in a playoff. These teams were off for over 40 days after playing every week prior to that, no reason the top eight teams couldn't have a Q/F, S/F and Final. There would be no questions then around who the real No 1 team is. I still think over the season LSU had the more impressive schedule, beat way more top 10 teams than Bama and obviously got caught tonight when they had all to loose and Bama had nothing to loose.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Celt_Man on January 10, 2012, 01:43:45 AM
Quote from: The Claw on January 09, 2012, 01:43:08 AM

So if the Steelers went for a FG and missed then Denver would have had the ball from the place the FG attempt took place??

the finer point of NFL elude me at times

Yes. A missed field goal is a turnover of possession, and the ball would have been placed at the spot the kick was taken.

ludermor

Any of ye wise ones heard of this lad ? Young lad from dublin living in the State a few years now and seems to be making a name for himself as a kicker.
I know his mother and she was saying there are scouts from the big professional clubs all over him. 
http://www.d3football.com/seasons/2011/contrib/2011121927448a
http://www.ecgulls.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=5454

AZOffaly

I've never heard of the lad, and to be honest I'd find it a bit odd that pro 'scouts' are all over him. Firstly, he's a kicker. Secondly, he's A Division III colleges kicker, and thirdly he was named to the 2nd team all American at D3 level.

It's not unheard of for small college kids to make it, but it is a lot harder than for kids who go to at least Division 1 schools. And even if they do make it, it's usually as an undrafted free agent, basically going for trials. Certainly a Division III kicker would not be attracting huge attention, and would be almost unheard of to be drafted.

tyroneman

Hue gets the boot from the Raiders apparantly.

Perhaps all those comments about wanting more power were ill advised on the back of a new GM being appointed, an 8-8 season (including several lasy quarter collapses), the NFL record for penalties and a disasterous trade for CP3

Just hope McKenzie gets the right people in and maybe in 2-3 years we can start to challenge again.

Gabriel_Hurl

Last D3 player to get drafted was Pierre Garcon in 2008

Minder

The Raiders were unlucky with injuries to Campbell & McFadden.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

tyroneman

Chuck B's defensive plan fcuked the Raiders more than Cambell and RunDMC being out. As did Hue's bizzarre (at times) play calling and poor time management.

The complete lack of discipline was a killer but when Rolando got to play v Miami it showed Hue wasn't about to clamp down.

Having said all that I kinda liked Hue and would have given him 1 more season with a decent DC on board. All he needed was reigned in a bit. We ain't getting many new players in the draft and Hue knows these guys pretty well.

BallyhaiseMan

Lads i sat up for Alabama and LSU last Night,and it put me to sleep. Was i alone there?
Id have loved to have seen Oklahoma State in the mix,they would have made it more exciting.

ludermor

Quote from: AZOffaly on January 10, 2012, 01:38:24 PM
I've never heard of the lad, and to be honest I'd find it a bit odd that pro 'scouts' are all over him. Firstly, he's a kicker. Secondly, he's A Division III colleges kicker, and thirdly he was named to the 2nd team all American at D3 level.

It's not unheard of for small college kids to make it, but it is a lot harder than for kids who go to at least Division 1 schools. And even if they do make it, it's usually as an undrafted free agent, basically going for trials. Certainly a Division III kicker would not be attracting huge attention, and would be almost unheard of to be drafted.
That makes sense AZ, prob a proud mother getting carried with the stories she is hearing from accross the Atlantic!