?

?
10 (50%)
?
10 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Estimator

Quote from: Keyser soze on May 09, 2019, 11:56:57 AM
We conceded 12 goals against division 4 teams, which if memory serves me right was the highest number of goals conceded by any team across the 4 divisions. This has been an ongoing problem for a number of years and it does not appear to be a problem that Maccers is able to resolve unfortunately as his teams have always tended to be wide open down the middle. There does not seem to be an awareness amongst our players about the importance of closing off space in the scoring zone and that naivety if it persists will be our undoing.

We need to aim to keep Tyrone to c. 13 points all in to have a chance to win this game, if we continue to play to the same system as we have been throughout the league, Tyrone will win pulling up as they have done in the last couple of outings.

Couple of points.
1. I only count 9 goals conceded, and
2. Sligo (15), Wexford (14), Roscommon (10) Offaly (9) also shipped a lot of goals. Same for Monaghan, Armagh, Cork, Tipperary (all conceded 8 )

The following teams scored goals against Derry:
Antrim 1
London 1
Waterford 1
Limerick 1
Leitrim 1
Wexford 4*

If we take the Wexford game out of the equation as it was played in a carnival like matter, the goals conceded column looks a lot better.  Granted, Derry really shouldn't be conceding as many goals against any of these sides, but its not as terrible as you have stated.  I think its in the Irish News today, that without that game the average scored Derry conceded was 1-09.

On the plus side Derry scored 10-100 during the league. Top scorers across all the leagues, and 3rd top in the goal scoring chart. They also have the top points difference across all the leagues.
Again if we take out the game against Wexford, our scoring takes a hit, but still close to the top in terms of points difference and scores.

With all that being said I think we will do well to keep the defeat in single figures.  It'll probably be a decent contest until 55mins, then space will really start to open up, Tyrone will empty the bench with lads who are itching to get a start in the next round, and they will start racking up the points.
Ulster League Champions 2009

JoG2

Quote from: cornerback on May 09, 2019, 02:40:24 PM
Quote from: JoG2 on May 07, 2019, 02:30:35 PM
If all fit and good to go:

Postie
McKaigue  Rogers     Keenan
Mooney    McKaigue  McFaul
        Bradley   McAtamney
Lynn        Cassidy      Heron
McGuigan   Bell         Sammy

You'd assume McKaigue and Rogers will pick up Donnelly / McShane if Tyrone have them stationed inside. You just want the squad to give it everything they have. Can't ask for more. Must remember to pack the ear muffs

Best guess - McFaul lining out in the forwards but deployed much deeper and another forward sacrificed at the expensive of a more defence-minded player.

you could be right surely.

Keyser soze

Quote from: Estimator on May 09, 2019, 03:03:53 PM
Quote from: Keyser soze on May 09, 2019, 11:56:57 AM
We conceded 12 goals against division 4 teams, which if memory serves me right was the highest number of goals conceded by any team across the 4 divisions. This has been an ongoing problem for a number of years and it does not appear to be a problem that Maccers is able to resolve unfortunately as his teams have always tended to be wide open down the middle. There does not seem to be an awareness amongst our players about the importance of closing off space in the scoring zone and that naivety if it persists will be our undoing.

We need to aim to keep Tyrone to c. 13 points all in to have a chance to win this game, if we continue to play to the same system as we have been throughout the league, Tyrone will win pulling up as they have done in the last couple of outings.

Couple of points.
1. I only count 9 goals conceded, and
2. Sligo (15), Wexford (14), Roscommon (10) Offaly (9) also shipped a lot of goals. Same for Monaghan, Armagh, Cork, Tipperary (all conceded 8 )

The following teams scored goals against Derry:
Antrim 1
London 1
Waterford 1
Limerick 1
Leitrim 1
Wexford 4*

If we take the Wexford game out of the equation as it was played in a carnival like matter, the goals conceded column looks a lot better.  Granted, Derry really shouldn't be conceding as many goals against any of these sides, but its not as terrible as you have stated.  I think its in the Irish News today, that without that game the average scored Derry conceded was 1-09.

On the plus side Derry scored 10-100 during the league. Top scorers across all the leagues, and 3rd top in the goal scoring chart. They also have the top points difference across all the leagues.
Again if we take out the game against Wexford, our scoring takes a hit, but still close to the top in terms of points difference and scores.

With all that being said I think we will do well to keep the defeat in single figures.  It'll probably be a decent contest until 55mins, then space will really start to open up, Tyrone will empty the bench with lads who are itching to get a start in the next round, and they will start racking up the points.

It was 10 conceded....  but my bad, caught talking brown lol 

BuzzKill (Version II)

Club Championship draws tonight in Owenbeg

thepundit

Postie
                 McKaigue             Rodgers          McNeil

Tad                  Heron

Keenan               McKaigue        McFaul

E Bradley         McAtamney

Sammy           Lynn

McGuigan       Bell

I would imagine we will set up something like this for the weekend. Obviously a huge gulf in class so its important we flood the scoring area as much as possible. Tad and heron have serious work rate so be useful for them to flood back and fill the space infront of full back line. Critical though that we break from defence fast on turnovers so thats where i think Tad will be most effective coming out of defence using his pace and strong running ability. That leaves us with four up front. Lynn usually causes tyrone a bit of bother so lets hope for some more at the weekend. Sammy on the 45 to provide a bit of creativity. Mcguigan and Bell providing the major scoring threats. Personally, i would like to have Emmett Bradley on the 45 but i dont see another option for midfield other than him and Tad. and i think we need tads legs for defence. Can see Keenan picking up Sludden and Chrissy picking up Mattie Donnelly and Rodgers on McShane.  Coney or Doherty might be involved in the first 15 as they have the ability to cover ground rapidly.

petermce

A couple of good games thrown up in the Championship draw last night - Magherafelt and Coleraine being the pick of them for me in Senior Championship and Steelstown and Claudy in the Intermediate Championship. I can't understand why we have such a large gap in games in May/June/July and then start the Championship in September. It is just madness.

Real Talk

Quote from: petermce on May 10, 2019, 11:24:44 AM
A couple of good games thrown up in the Championship draw last night - Magherafelt and Coleraine being the pick of them for me in Senior Championship and Steelstown and Claudy in the Intermediate Championship. I can't understand why we have such a large gap in games in May/June/July and then start the Championship in September. It is just madness.

That space may be to give the U20's/Minors freedom to play with their County and the Seniors to get a run in the Qualifiers (really !!!)

Newbridge Exile

Quote from: Derryboi on May 10, 2019, 10:29:52 PM
https://twitter.com/Doiregaa/status/1126940060220305410?s=19    Derry team to face Tyrone...
On paper its probably as strong a team as we have had named in a few years

lenny

Quote from: Newbridge Exile on May 10, 2019, 10:35:05 PM
Quote from: Derryboi on May 10, 2019, 10:29:52 PM
https://twitter.com/Doiregaa/status/1126940060220305410?s=19    Derry team to face Tyrone...
On paper its probably as strong a team as we have had named in a few years

It looks like quite a small team especially in defence. Also the bench doesn't have much experience so you'd expect tyrone to really take over in the last 25 minutes when they bring on their subs as they have an embarrassment of riches there. Hopefully we can be competitive up to the 50-60 minute mark. I'll be there supporting the lads anyway.

toby47

There are a couple of changes from the team named to the team starting

scallywag

7 points plus for Tyrone, please stop talking nonsense on here

theticklemister

Je lads, them junior scores don't sit well tonight. Some hidings for Sean dolans and ardmore.

Good luck to Derry tomorrow and we'll dine to the minors today. 

Mountain Gael

Championship time. Good run in league and now i believe we will be very competitive tomorrow. Looking forward to it. hope we have good support. take inspiration from limerick waterford and wicklow tonight. we can do it.

tbrick18

Anyone know if you can get tickets at the gate today?