?
10 (50%)
?
10 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Wildweasel74

Yip ticket stall up at the gates

tbrick18

Cheers, wasn't able to go, but chance I'll get away now.

tbrick18

A better showing than expected, though Tyrone were off the boil a bit I feel.
Hard to understand why emmet Bradley didn't start, he was really good when he came in.
Cassidy was our best player I think, put in a serious shift, carried well and got back. Impressed by him.
Mcfaul has some engine too. Both him and Lynn took a lot of abuse from.

Karl mckaigue had a good game, chrissy I thought was poor.
Postie was a mixed bag. Very bad positioning for the goal, stood behind his own defender. He looks very lazy on the ball too, standing on the spot, toe tapping. Did make a good save and kickouts in The first half were good, but kickouts after the tyrone goal were awful.

We didn't embarrass ourselves. Played mostly as a team and generally defended well.
We struggle in attack though and really lack in terms of physique in comparison to Tyrone.

Tyrone very physically imposing and play on the edge of legality, but are experienced enough to get away with it.
Colm cavanagh still a dirty lump, harte doing his usual substituting before he hot sent off.

We have some good signs of improvement,
But we are still a long way off div 1 teams.
We can't fix everything overnight though and I hope we can continue to improve.

When is the first round of qualifiers?

screenexile

I thought the real difference showed after we went a point up. A booming kickout from Morgan and 2 of our lads went for the ball while Donnelly flicked it on the unmarked Burns who popped to McCurry for the goal!

Those are the kind of decisions which make or break a team at the top level and it broke us today. Plenty to take heart from we need a reasonable draw in the back door and we could do well!

theticklemister

Very happy with that shift. Who would have thought we would be a point up with ten minutes to play?

I was away down in birmingham today and turned the phone off and came back to watch it. I was jumping up and down on me living room when the goal went in. But alas, we were defeated.

Postie was superb at nets. Derrys man of the match. McNeil did rightly too. Tad and Lynn were excellent too. Still looking for Chrissy and Rogers to run straight and hard.

JoG2

Quote from: tbrick18 on May 12, 2019, 09:34:54 PM
A better showing than expected, though Tyrone were off the boil a bit I feel.
Hard to understand why emmet Bradley didn't start, he was really good when he came in.
Cassidy was our best player I think, put in a serious shift, carried well and got back. Impressed by him.
Mcfaul has some engine too. Both him and Lynn took a lot of abuse from.

Karl mckaigue had a good game, chrissy I thought was poor.
Postie was a mixed bag. Very bad positioning for the goal, stood behind his own defender. He looks very lazy on the ball too, standing on the spot, toe tapping. Did make a good save and kickouts in The first half were good, but kickouts after the tyrone goal were awful.

We didn't embarrass ourselves. Played mostly as a team and generally defended well.
We struggle in attack though and really lack in terms of physique in comparison to Tyrone.

Tyrone very physically imposing and play on the edge of legality, but are experienced enough to get away with it.
Colm cavanagh still a dirty lump, harte doing his usual substituting before he hot sent off.

We have some good signs of improvement,
But we are still a long way off div 1 teams.
We can't fix everything overnight though and I hope we can continue to improve.

When is the first round of qualifiers?

I'd agree with most of this, though on C McKaigue, like most of the team, it took him 20 odd minutes to get up to speed. When playing Div 4 all year, it wasn't surprising. Donnelly was pretty much anonymous in the 2nd half.
We didn't risk too many bodies forward yesterday either. Bell was playing out the field too much, and is still finding his match sharpness post injury (especially at this level).
For a man who hasn't played much of late, Liam McGoldrick really grew into the game. McFaul, McGuigan, E Bradley, Tad and Lynn were excellent.
Anyone but Leitrim in the qualifiers!
Rd 1 qualifiers on the w/e of 8th June by the looks of it

Keyser soze

Any one else think there was a deliberate Tyrone tactic of systematically fouling the runner, dunno how many times Tad, and to a slightly lesser extent Lynn, were fouled, the CHB [for a punch] and Colm Cavanagh [3 bad fouls] were both lucky not to be lined.

I think it was a clear Tyrone tactic to slow down the attack until they could funnel men back. We played into their hands in this regard by slowing down our freekicks, mostly waiting till Chrissy got there to take it, it really slows our game down and in the majority of cases when he did take it, it was kicked backwards 15 metres, which quite frankly any player could do. You could see the point in Chrissy hitting these frees if he was doing something special with them but all this does is kill momentum as it takes a few seconds for him to get to the place where the free occurred, which is exactly what Tyrone wanted. It wouldn't surprise me if they hadn't factored fouling around that area of the pitch knowing that the free wouldn't be taken until Chrissy got there and that this would give them time to reset.

Whilst we played all right there was no going for the jugular which is what championship football should be about, there was a definite element of safety first about our play, if we slipped the leash we could def have given them a proper rattle.

Karl McKaigue, Paul McNeill, Enda Lynn, Tad and Shane McGuigan were all great for us, Emmett Bradley was decent too when he came in and all round I wouldn't be critical of anyone as we put in a huge effort on the day, though I would say Ryan Bell looked as if he was not fully fit. 

TheOptimist

Quote from: Keyser soze on May 13, 2019, 11:29:17 AM
Any one else think there was a deliberate Tyrone tactic of systematically fouling the runner, dunno how many times Tad, and to a slightly lesser extent Lynn, were fouled, the CHB [for a punch] and Colm Cavanagh [3 bad fouls] were both lucky not to be lined.

I think it was a clear Tyrone tactic to slow down the attack until they could funnel men back. We played into their hands in this regard by slowing down our freekicks, mostly waiting till Chrissy got there to take it, it really slows our game down and in the majority of cases when he did take it, it was kicked backwards 15 metres, which quite frankly any player could do. You could see the point in Chrissy hitting these frees if he was doing something special with them but all this does is kill momentum as it takes a few seconds for him to get to the place where the free occurred, which is exactly what Tyrone wanted. It wouldn't surprise me if they hadn't factored fouling around that area of the pitch knowing that the free wouldn't be taken until Chrissy got there and that this would give them time to reset.

Whilst we played all right there was no going for the jugular which is what championship football should be about, there was a definite element of safety first about our play, if we slipped the leash we could def have given them a proper rattle.

Karl McKaigue, Paul McNeill, Enda Lynn, Tad and Shane McGuigan were all great for us, Emmett Bradley was decent too when he came in and all round I wouldn't be critical of anyone as we put in a huge effort on the day, though I would say Ryan Bell looked as if he was not fully fit.

Is Tad P Cassidy?

JoG2

Body checking going on left, right and centre, stopping the run at source. Colm Cavanagh (who should have seen the line with 2 yellows or a black) is a worse tackler than T McCann, and that's saying something.

Keyser soze

Quote from: TheOptimist on May 13, 2019, 11:43:58 AM

Is Tad P Cassidy?
Yes

JoG2

And Joe Brolly should hang his head in shame with those 2 articles last week in the lead up to the championship opener.

Keyser soze

I was disappointed with how Ciaran McFaul was [wasn't] utilised yesterday, we need him to be a focal point for our attack IMO, he has all the attributes to be great for Derry but just doesn't seem to have a defined role in the team.

Red10

Agree with most of that. Not sure why Chrissy has to do that.  A lot of looking to be on the ball and taking an extra touch that isn't really going anywhere and just slows it all down when maybe he should be looking the ball from the free to go forward.  One or two lads could do with bulking up to compete against the top level. Once or twice lads nearly ended up in the front row of the stand, although overall the fitness levels looked alright bar one or two who struggled late on. Unfortunately Ryan Bell has looked like that through out his days playing for Derry.  Is he going to be one of those lads everyone says if only about. The equal if not more talent than a McShane.

tbrick18

Quote from: Red10 on May 13, 2019, 01:00:13 PM

Agree with most of that. Not sure why Chrissy has to do that.  A lot of looking to be on the ball and taking an extra touch that isn't really going anywhere and just slows it all down when maybe he should be looking the ball from the free to go forward.  One or two lads could do with bulking up to compete against the top level. Once or twice lads nearly ended up in the front row of the stand, although overall the fitness levels looked alright bar one or two who struggled late on. Unfortunately Ryan Bell has looked like that through out his days playing for Derry.  Is he going to be one of those lads everyone says if only about. The equal if not more talent than a McShane.

I've been saying on here for years that chrissy mckaigue slows us down too much. Even when he drives forward he'll inevitably play it back. He'll insist on hitting frees and play them backwards.
IMO, he's not a half back of county standard. I think he has the makings of a really good full back tasked with man marking. I'd have Rogers at CHB instead. Offers much more going forward.
Chrissy just isn't the player people say he is, IMO.

shawshank

do some laughing at you two last posters. Rogers chb,lol, head down carrying ball down the wing, not a foot pass in him at chb lol. He got cleaned out at FB yesterday. I think he is an average county full back, but he showed no aggression yesterday. Playing Fb for the nailers he was v aggressive to 'Star', where has that gone to.

Mc Shane is a supper player, played mf on a winning U21 All Ireland team, starred at FF for Tyrone in the league in D1, yes D1, going to be one of the players of the championship for Tyrone. The only thing that I will say in Bells defence is that we don't have many good kick passers of the ball to find his runs. Tadd is another version of Mattie Donnelly. A good players yes, plenty of spirit in him, but a ball carrier, we need a footballer playing with him.  The Tyrone's ones would tell you when Donnellye was out the filed, when he got the ball not a forward made a run as he carried the ball constantly, another reason why he was moved inside during this league

Our bench isn't strong enough, that needs addressed for next season. Meenagh is doing a decent job. Tyrone in 1st gear yesterday. Brolly is right, we had lost our soul. V slowly regaining it, but our underage teams should have our own managing them.