French Terrorist Attacks

Started by easytiger95, November 13, 2015, 09:43:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

Quote from: screenexile on November 16, 2015, 11:25:48 AM
Jesus Christ the internet falling over itself to give off about people showing support to France and not to Kenya. . .

Yeah because that's the bigger issue at play here. I think we can all agree that atrocities of this magnitude are abhorrent anywhere in the world but rather than misplaced anger at perceived sleights on a particular Country or creed can we not try and come together for a proper solution as to how we can deal with IS?? Surely if we can stamp them out altogether then incidents like Paris or Kenya won't happen at all!!!

It's good to see Anonymous getting involved as we have to cut off the ISIS propaganda machine and as well as that if there is any way we can cut off their cash that's bound to be a huge help!
A lot of their cash comes from oil sales

This is a bit long but well worth the read

http://www.nybooks.com/articles/archives/2015/aug/13/mystery-isis/

"
I have often been tempted to argue that we simply need more and better information. But that is to underestimate the alien and bewildering nature of this phenomenon. To take only one example, five years ago not even the most austere Salafi theorists advocated the reintroduction of slavery; but ISIS has in fact imposed it. Nothing since the triumph of the Vandals in Roman North Africa has seemed so sudden, incomprehensible, and difficult to reverse as the rise of ISIS. None of our analysts, soldiers, diplomats, intelligence officers, politicians, or journalists has yet produced an explanation rich enough—even in hindsight—to have predicted the movement's rise.

We hide this from ourselves with theories and concepts that do not bear deep examination. And we will not remedy this simply through the accumulation of more facts. It is not clear whether our culture can ever develop sufficient knowledge, rigor, imagination, and humility to grasp the phenomenon of ISIS. But for now, we should admit that we are not only horrified but baffled."

Another good one from Scott Atran
http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/nov/15/terrorists-isis#comment-63422010

Denn Forever

Just heard about this.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/03/world/africa/garissa-university-college-shooting-in-kenya.html?_r=0

NAIROBI, Kenya — Somali militants burst into a university in eastern Kenya on Thursday and killed nearly 150 students in the worst terrorist attack since the 1998 bombing of the United States Embassy here, laying bare the nation's continuing vulnerability after years of battling Islamist extremism.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

nrico2006

Jesus Christ the internet falling over itself to give off about people showing support to France and not to Kenya. . .

Yeah because that's the bigger issue at play here. I think we can all agree that atrocities of this magnitude are abhorrent anywhere in the world but rather than misplaced anger at perceived sleights on a particular Country or creed can we not try and come together for a proper solution as to how we can deal with IS?? Surely if we can stamp them out altogether then incidents like Paris or Kenya won't happen at all!!!

It's good to see Anonymous getting involved as we have to cut off the ISIS propaganda machine and as well as that if there is any way we can cut off their cash that's bound to be a huge help!

Majority of facebook posts I saw were from people giving off about people supporting France and not other countries where recent atrocities have happened, really sickened me.  A quick read through  their previous few week's statuses showed that they weren't too vocal in commenting on the issues they were now highlighting.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Esmarelda

Quote from: nrico2006 on November 16, 2015, 01:38:44 PM

Majority of facebook posts I saw were from people giving off about people supporting France and not other countries where recent atrocities have happened, really sickened me.  A quick read through  their previous few week's statuses showed that they weren't too vocal in commenting on the issues they were now highlighting.
But the point isn't that everyone should be making a statement about every wrongdoing. It's that if you witness two/three atrocities on a relatively similar scale, carried out by the same group in pursuit of the same goal and you decide to highlight one, then it begs the question why you chose that one.

seafoid

It must be awful looking for missing people, not knowing if they are dead or alive.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2015/nov/16/paris-attacks-france-airstrikes-isis-raqqa-syria-live

"Our friend sent his family a selfie from the Bataclan just before the concert," says one drawn-looking 30-year-old, waiting for a friend outside an information and counselling centre for victims families.

"His girlfriend got out, but we don't have any news from him."

His friend was a florist from a suburb at the end of the number five metro line who had come in specially for the concert.

"He loved rock and roll, he was a serious guy, smart, always had the best grades at school," said the man, an asset manager who asked not to be named.

Like many going into the imposing gates of the classical military school that has been pressed into service as a crisis centre, he is still hopeful they will find their friend injured but alive.

"We have been to every hospital we could think of in Paris," he said."

nrico2006

Quote from: Esmarelda on November 16, 2015, 02:18:38 PM

But the point isn't that everyone should be making a statement about every wrongdoing. It's that if you witness two/three atrocities on a relatively similar scale, carried out by the same group in pursuit of the same goal and you decide to highlight one, then it begs the question why you chose that one.

I'm sure nowhere near the number of people who have heard about the Paris attacks heard about the other recent attacks though.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

seafoid

Motörhead, Deftones and Foo Fighters have joined U2 in cancelling their scheduled concerts in Paris

That's what IS want. No music, no dancing no interaction between men and women. Not a million miles away from Cromwell

screenexile

Have a rattle at the media then for not covering these things then, not people showing solidarity with Paris. If people were more aware of the shootings in Kenya/Beirut I'm sure they'd be outraged at them as well as I and I'm sure everyone else on here is.

My Facebook feed is clogged up with 'activists' giving out to people for filtering their profile photo with the French flag "Why not the Lebanese flag, why not the Palestine flag, why not the Kenyan flag!"

How about we focus on the grave situation we're facing rather than misdirected outrage at regular people wanting to stand with France.

Esmarelda

Quote from: nrico2006 on November 16, 2015, 02:27:10 PM

I'm sure nowhere near the number of people who have heard about the Paris attacks heard about the other recent attacks though.
I agree and I mentioned it in an earlier post. I'd also agree that people shouldn't be criticised for it as they don't realise they're doing it. I think it's still an interesting point.

Esmarelda

Quote from: screenexile on November 16, 2015, 02:54:40 PM

Have a rattle at the media then for not covering these things then, not people showing solidarity with Paris. If people were more aware of the shootings in Kenya/Beirut I'm sure they'd be outraged at them as well as I and I'm sure everyone else on here is.

My Facebook feed is clogged up with 'activists' giving out to people for filtering their profile photo with the French flag "Why not the Lebanese flag, why not the Palestine flag, why not the Kenyan flag!"

How about we focus on the grave situation we're facing rather than misdirected outrage at regular people wanting to stand with France.
I doubt it but anyway I think I've covered this general point enough.

I'll take your advice and focus on the main issue, although I think I've spoken about that enough too.

AZOffaly

It's human nature. I don't think anybody would say the deaths in the Middle East, Africa, and other places around the world are not terrible events. I know the events in Palestine touched people, and I think we have seen the empathy and sympathy for the Syrian Refugee crisis. However, with all the best intentions, apart from a few people like GHD who have given a lot of their lives in support of the people over there, (for which they should be applauded and lauded) it is naturally remote from our every day lives. We don't really understand (and God help us I hope we never do) the conditions that those poor people live and die in. It doesn't excuse our leaders and our politicians from doing all they can to make the world a safer and more just place for everyone, but it does explain, I think, the different reaction when London, New York, Paris etc are hit.

There's a visceral reaction when we see places we know, or feel we know, intimately being attacked like this. A lot of us know those cities and have been there. There's a lot of 'there but for the grace of God' in peoples' reactions when a major western city is hit, and that of course is the exact reason these groups do it. They try to shake the general population and grow fear and uncertainty. Affect international markets, spook investors, cause major disruption and generally try to ensure that people are afraid.

So while no one life should be worth more than another, and while most people understand that the killing and dying in the conflict areas is terrible and that politicians are dicks, it is still understandable that the sight of the WTC or Paris under attack would, and should, evoke an outpouring of emotion and solidarity.

winghalfun

The media are really struggling to get new copy after 3 days.

Some of the links from the local press are highly tenuous to say the least. 

BBC NI this lunchtime interviewing someone running a French food stall at the Belfast Christmas Continental Market. 

screenexile

Quote from: Esmarelda on November 16, 2015, 03:03:18 PM
Quote from: screenexile on November 16, 2015, 02:54:40 PM

I doubt it but anyway I think I've covered this general point enough.

I'll take your advice and focus on the main issue, although I think I've spoken about that enough too.

Ah I'm not having a go at you in particular but there are some people going way over the top with criticism about it. Anyway How are we going to cut these lads off at the knees?

Is there any way to make their oil redundant? Going after their assets in dodgy banks? If we do that it would go a long way to crippling them for a start but I think boots on the ground has to be the main option and try to help these Countries recover in some way with the end goal being democracy.

gallsman

Quote from: Denn Forever on November 16, 2015, 01:18:25 PM
Just heard about this.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/03/world/africa/garissa-university-college-shooting-in-kenya.html?_r=0

NAIROBI, Kenya — Somali militants burst into a university in eastern Kenya on Thursday and killed nearly 150 students in the worst terrorist attack since the 1998 bombing of the United States Embassy here, laying bare the nation's continuing vulnerability after years of battling Islamist extremism.

Not having at you bit this was an international headline. It didn't get the same blanket coverage as Paris obviously but it was still enormous news.

AZOffaly

Kenya is in a bad way. There are some cities that BA don't allow their pilots to walk around in, my brother in law works with them, and Nairobi and Lagos are two of them.