Israel Attack Humanitarian Ship, 10 men killed

Started by give her dixie, May 31, 2010, 03:50:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

http://www.haaretz.com/news/diplomacy-defense/anti-arab-graffiti-sprayed-tires-slashed-in-suspected-price-tag-attack-1.530501

"Netanyahu also said that even if calling (Jewish) price tag activists part of a terror organization was correct from a domestic standpoint, it would be a diplomatic mistake that would damage Israel's international standing, increase its delegitimization and encourage international groups to compare price tag attacks to rocket fire or Hamas suicide attacks. "

http://www.haaretz.com/news/diplomacy-defense/top-businessmen-warn-netanyahu-stalled-peace-process-will-ruin-israel-s-economy

"Some of the country's top businessmen met with Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu last month to express concern that the stalled peace process with the Palestinians would ultimately harm and even endanger the Israeli economy.
The businessmen told Netanyahu they are worried by the signals they are getting from the international business community.
"We come from the field, and we're feeling the pressure," one said. "If we don't make progress toward a two-state solution, there will be negative developments for the Israeli economy. We're already noticing initial signs of this. The future of the Israeli economy will be in danger."
One businessman who attended the meeting told Haaretz that the lack of progress toward a two-state solution could send Israel down a slippery slope toward a binational state that would be either not Jewish or not democratic.
"The world will not accept this," he said. "Foreign investments will not come to such a state. No one will buy goods from such a state.""
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

give her dixie

This statement was issued in the past few hours from the family of Uğur Süleyman Söylemez:

"It is with deep regret and sorrow that we inform you of the martyrdom of our dear Brother Uğur Süleyman Söylemez, who died this evening (Friday 23rd of May 2014) after four years spent in a coma because of his injuries during the Israeli attack on the Mavi Marmara."

Along with the other 9 martyrs, may he rest in peace
next stop, September 10, for number 4......

give her dixie

http://eski.ihh.org.tr/mavi-marmara-gazisi-25-yildir-yogun-bakimda/en/

This is the story of Mavi Marmara victim Süleyman Söylemez and his family.

Uğur Süleyman Söylemez is a Mavi Marmara victim who has been comatose for the past two and a half years....

Söylemez was born in Ankara in 1963. A free-lancer by occupation, he took part in the flotilla that attempted to take humanitarian aid to Gaza in 2010. Soon after the attack on Mavi Marmara Söylemez was announced to be among the killed passengers, but it was later found out that he was gravely wounded by at least one bullet shot into his head. One of the flotilla passengers recalled the moment Söylemez was shot: 

The incidents were unbelievable... Everything was shocking but I witnessed the most shocking incident on the lower deck. I was helping the wounded. A brother named Süleyman had been shot in the front of his head and fallen onto the floor on his back, fracturing the back of his skull. He was lying on his side; two people were supporting him. The doctors had warned that if he lay on his back, his lungs would be filled with blood, causing him to die immediately. While we were trying to keep him alive, several other passengers were cooling him down with fans they made from cardboard. Blood was continuously coming out of his mouth. I was wiping his mouth and holding his hands on one hand and replacing the bloody towels covering his wounds and trying to speak to him on the other hand. We used dozens of towels trying to stop his bleeding. Thank God he recovered from death. The Israelis carried him and the other wounded activists to the helicopters in brutal manner. Brother Süleyman is now with his family in Ankara but in coma. I will never forget him. Fatima Mohamadi (Lawyer/USA)       

After he was flown to Turkey, Söylemez was transferred with two other gravely wounded activists to Ankara Atatürk Research Hospital and received intensive care for eight months. At the end of the eighth month, Söylemez was discharged from hospital to be cared for at home when no progress was registered about his condition during the eight-month long treatment. Söylemez is still comatose as of November 2012 and his condition remains critical.

A merchant by profession, Uğur Süleyman Söylemez is married to Tuğba Söylemez with three children named Ahmet (born 1988), Zeynep Kübra (1991), and Fatma (1997). Söylemez, who assisted people in need through various social charity events, is known as a trustable man who keeps his promise, and who is concerned about humanitarian issues. "He has always had special interest in Palestine," Mrs. Söylemez says as she describes her husband.     

SÖYLEMEZ AS DESCRIBED BY HIS WIFE

Mrs. Söylemez, could you tell us about Mr. Söylemez's humanitarian efforts, his interest towards the disadvantaged and Palestine?

Uğur was very concerned about people being oppressed anywhere in the world, and loved helping them. He contributed to charities and aid agencies as much as he can. But his most sensitive point was Palestine.

Süleyman had a professional job when he decided to leave it all behind and ventured into high sea for Gaza. How could he make time to manage all these?

He would put himself in place of the aggrieved people and feel the pain they were feeling. He would not heed material gains. Not even his children. "I have to go and help them," he said and boarded the ship. He has always been like this. He would act before everyone else when someone was in need of help.

I think Süleyman boarded the ship in Antalya. They stayed at Kepez Sports Hall before boarding. There were people with different religion, ethnicity, language, and political view in Kepez. Did you not talk when he was in Kepez, what did he tell you about the atmosphere?

We were making frequent phone calls. He told me everything that transpired there. I think a British person converted to Islam while there. He told me about that and the atmosphere. "Some are reciting the Quran, some are listening to music... Everyone is acting in line with their faith. It is a very unique and different atmosphere. I wish you were here too but I will leave now," he said.   

When did you talk the last?

He called the last when he boarded the ship. "We are leaving, we might not see each other again, give me your blessing," he said. It was our last talk.

Did you hear any news of your husband after the heinous attack? What can you say about the period after the attack?

We could not hear anything from my husband for about four days. After all the passengers and the wounded activists returned we learnt that a gravely-wounded man remained in Israel and he could not be brought to Turkey because his condition was critical. A photograph of the wounded man was sent on the order of the prime minister. It was my husband in the photograph.

How did you learn about the attack? What happened afterwards?

My son and I were regularly following the journey of the flotilla on IHH webpage. Between 10 and 11 at night we learnt that there were blackouts on the ship. My son told me "Mum, let's go to the Israeli embassy." I told him "We had better wait until morning." When we got up for the morning prayers, we quickly checked out the webpage and learnt that the ship had been attacked and there were martyrs and critically wounded passengers. No sooner had we completed morning prayers than we rushed to the Israeli embassy. There were only two persons in front of the embassy but people started to gather as time passed. First they said five were killed but later reports put the number at 20. My son and I knew Uğur was among the killed, because my husband was a very brave man who disregarded danger. He was a very different person... He was kind of a person who would sacrifice his life and he did it indeed...         

You flew to Israel in an ambulance aircraft to get your husband. Did you meet Israeli authorities? What happened there?

We were met by embassy staff and went to the hospital where Uğur was with Turkish doctors who accompanied us. "We will see Mr. Söylemez first and get information about his condition. Then we will let you see him," the doctors said. I went inside with my son to see my husband. They were saying Uğur's condition was critical and he could be lost any time, so it was very risky to take him to Turkey. I was very troubled that my husband was in the hands of Israelis. I discussed the situation with my son and we decided to bring my husband to Turkey no matter what. They made us sign some documents for the transfer and told us they would not take any responsibility. In response I said "Did you accept any liability when you shot him that you do not now?" 

Supposing that Mr. Söylemez recovered from the coma tomorrow morning, did you ever think, what would be the first thing he did?

We sometimes talk about it and I am sure he would want to go to Palestine again if he came out of coma. He would do it without hesitation.

Mrs. Söylemez, is there anything you would like to add?

The events we went through made us more mature. We were not aware of many things before. You understand the life in Palestine better when you experience it personally. You understand families of martyrs and the wounded there better. The families of the activists killed and wounded on board Mavi Marmara should not be forgotten. All Muslims should support them in their hearts.

Mike Sheehy

Quote from: give her dixie on May 23, 2014, 11:44:52 PM
This statement was issued in the past few hours from the family of Uğur Süleyman Söylemez:

"It is with deep regret and sorrow that we inform you of the martyrdom of our dear Brother Uğur Süleyman Söylemez, who died this evening (Friday 23rd of May 2014) after four years spent in a coma because of his injuries during the Israeli attack on the Mavi Marmara."

Along with the other 9 martyrs, may he rest in peace

Could you explain what you meant by "martyrs" ? This was a completely secular, non-sectarian mission right ?

Mike Sheehy

Quote We were making frequent phone calls. He told me everything that transpired there. I think a British person converted to Islam while there. He told me about that and the atmosphere. "Some are reciting the Quran, some are listening to music... Everyone is acting in line with their faith. It is a very unique and different atmosphere. I wish you were here too but I will leave now," he said.

This is strange. Why would a completely secular, non-sectarian, non anti-Semitic mission involve such a charged religious atmosphere.

Perhaps you can explain Give-her-Dixie. You were actually there. I assume you saw none of this...?

give her dixie

Mike, a man just died a few hours ago after 4 years in a coma

Please show a little respect.

Mike Sheehy

No. f**k off.I won't play your game. I won't cower to your demands for "respect". In your eyes he was a "Martyr". However, for all I know he could  be an islamofascist...who knows ? your post indicates there was a strong religious aspect to this case. You will have to make the case. There are no free rides anymore on Gaaboard. Convince us.

Now, answer the question I asked you. What did you mean by "Martyrs" ? .and while you are at it, I am asking you , once again, to explain your connection with www.barnesreview.org

This won't go away. Address it or you position will be fatally, permanently, compromised. I won't back down.

trileacman

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on May 24, 2014, 01:42:54 AM
No. f**k off.I won't play your game. I won't cower to your demands for "respect". In your eyes he was a "Martyr". However, for all I know he could  be an islamofascist...who knows ? your post indicates there was a strong religious aspect to this case. You will have to make the case. There are no free rides anymore on Gaaboard. Convince us.

Now, answer the question I asked you. What did you mean by "Martyrs" ? .and while you are at it, I am asking you , once again, to explain your connection with www.barnesreview.org

This won't go away. Address it or you position will be fatally, permanently, compromised. I won't back down.

I'm sick of all this shite between you, but your reply there now was pure cuntish. Go away and mid yourself.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

seafoid

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on May 24, 2014, 01:42:54 AM

Dhera you will of course. You always do . You can't keep up the vitriol.
It's all a game.   It's been much more frequent since Kerry started their decline, I've noticed.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

give her dixie

Turkey court issues arrest warrants to Israeli ex-generals over Gaza flotilla raid

Istanbul's Seventh High Criminal Court tries four senior Israeli in absentia; under warrant, the Israelis can be arrested if they enter Turkey or any country with extradition treaty.

By Barak Ravid   | May 26, 2014 | 5:40 PM

Istanbul's Seventh High Criminal Court released arrest warrants Monday to four senior Israeli officers over their role in the 2010 raid of a Turkish-flagged Gaza-bound aid flotilla.

The court also asked Interpol to release international arrest warrants against the four, who include former Israel Defense Forces Chief of Staff Gabi Ashkenazi, former Navy Chief Eliezer Marom, former Military Intelligence Chief Amos Yadlin and former Naval Intelligence chief Avishai Levy.

The court's ruling claimed that the warrants were necessary for the legal proceedings because the defendants failed to appear at hearings and hadn't responded to summons sent by the Turkish Ministry of Justice. Turkey's Foreign Ministry said in response that its legal advisors would study the ruling.

If any of the four former officers enter Turkey, they will be arrested. Likewise, the Turkish government can request the extradition of any of the officials should they enter a country with an extradition agreement.

Should Interpol respond to the Turkish request and publicize the international arrest warrants, the officers will be under threat of arrest in all countries that are Interpol members. Interpol is under no obligation to respond.

The Turkish prosecutors, representing 33 relatives of the nine victims of the deadly raid on the Mavi Marmara, have requested a life sentence from each of the Israeli officers who were tried in absentia.

The complaint in question was submitted in May 2012, and the first hearing was held in November of that year. The legal proceedings have been taking place over the last year and a half on the backdrop of reconciliation contacts between Israel and Turkey.

Part of the reconciliation agreement includes a Turkish commitment to pass a law in parliament that nullifies all legal complaints against Israeli officers and soldiers involved in the Gaza flotilla operation.

Although Israel and Turkey have already composed a draft agreement, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has not signed on nor is he bringing it to a vote in the political-security cabinet.

Within the framework of the draft agreement, Israel agreed to pay $20 million in compensation to the families of the victims; in exchange, the Turkish government would drop all legal claims.

http://www.haaretz.com/news/diplomacy-defense/1.592911

Mike Sheehy

Quote from: give her dixie on May 26, 2014, 08:02:16 PM
Turkey court issues arrest warrants to Israeli ex-generals over Gaza flotilla raid

Istanbul's Seventh High Criminal Court tries four senior Israeli in absentia; under warrant, the Israelis can be arrested if they enter Turkey or any country with extradition treaty.

By Barak Ravid   | May 26, 2014 | 5:40 PM

Istanbul's Seventh High Criminal Court released arrest warrants Monday to four senior Israeli officers over their role in the 2010 raid of a Turkish-flagged Gaza-bound aid flotilla.

The court also asked Interpol to release international arrest warrants against the four, who include former Israel Defense Forces Chief of Staff Gabi Ashkenazi, former Navy Chief Eliezer Marom, former Military Intelligence Chief Amos Yadlin and former Naval Intelligence chief Avishai Levy.

The court's ruling claimed that the warrants were necessary for the legal proceedings because the defendants failed to appear at hearings and hadn't responded to summons sent by the Turkish Ministry of Justice. Turkey's Foreign Ministry said in response that its legal advisors would study the ruling.

If any of the four former officers enter Turkey, they will be arrested. Likewise, the Turkish government can request the extradition of any of the officials should they enter a country with an extradition agreement.

Should Interpol respond to the Turkish request and publicize the international arrest warrants, the officers will be under threat of arrest in all countries that are Interpol members. Interpol is under no obligation to respond.

The Turkish prosecutors, representing 33 relatives of the nine victims of the deadly raid on the Mavi Marmara, have requested a life sentence from each of the Israeli officers who were tried in absentia.

The complaint in question was submitted in May 2012, and the first hearing was held in November of that year. The legal proceedings have been taking place over the last year and a half on the backdrop of reconciliation contacts between Israel and Turkey.

Part of the reconciliation agreement includes a Turkish commitment to pass a law in parliament that nullifies all legal complaints against Israeli officers and soldiers involved in the Gaza flotilla operation.

Although Israel and Turkey have already composed a draft agreement, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has not signed on nor is he bringing it to a vote in the political-security cabinet.

Within the framework of the draft agreement, Israel agreed to pay $20 million in compensation to the families of the victims; in exchange, the Turkish government would drop all legal claims.

http://www.haaretz.com/news/diplomacy-defense/1.592911

I think Turkey should stop denying genocide against the Armenian people  and make reparation i.e

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armenian_Genocide_denial

Maybe then they will earn the right to comment  on other peoples conflicts.

give her dixie

The continuing inspiration of the Mavi Marmara

May 2014 Saturday 31st

Four years ago today the courageous actions of dedicated internationalists highlighted the need to oppose Israel's oppression of Gaza. Palestine Solidarity Campaign director Sarah Colborne reports

Four years ago, on May 31 2010, the ship I was sailing in, the Mavi Marmara, came under sustained and lethal attack by Israeli commandos while in international waters.

The Mavi Marmara, along with six other ships, was sailing to break the siege on Gaza with humanitarian aid for the 1.6 million Palestinians living trapped under a blockade.

Over 700 people from 40 different countries were on board the flotilla.

Nine passengers were killed that day and over 50 injured. A 10th victim, Ugur Suleyman Soylemez, died only days ago on May 24 2014, after being in a coma since the attack.

Four years on, the Mavi Marmara continues to make waves.

On Monday May 27 arrest warrants were issued by an Istanbul court for four Israeli commanders in relation to the attack on the ship.

The court also requested an Interpol Red Notice for the arrest of the four — former Israeli Defense Forces (IDF) chief of general staff General Rau Gavriel Ashkenazi, Naval Forces commander Eliezer Alfred Maron, chief of Israeli intelligence Amos Yadlin and Air Forces intelligence director Avishay Levi.

The International Criminal Court has also opened a preliminary investigation into the attack.

This is a significant development with the defendants already feeling the long arm of the law.

Amos Yadlin is reported to have said in a text message to Reuters: "I won't be visiting Turkey, just like I won't be visiting Syria, Iran or North Korea."

His attempt to ridicule the court's decision is unwise, given that he is already subject to an arrest warrant in one country and a request lodged with Interpol.

With hundreds of witnesses to Israel's military assault, there is a staggeringly large amount of evidence of the crimes committed on the Mavi Marmara.

A UN Human Rights Council fact-finding mission investigated the attack shortly afterwards and spoke to many of the survivors.

It found that the attack was "clearly unlawful" and described the conduct of the Israeli military as "not only disproportionate to the occasion but demonstrated levels of totally unnecessary and incredible violence."

The mission's 56-page report detailed the events leading up to the interception of each of the six ships that made up the flotilla as well as a seventh ship intercepted on June 6, the deaths of nine passengers and wounding of many others and the detention of passengers in Israel and their subsequent deportation.

The report's authors said that the attack "betrayed an unacceptable level of brutality.

"Such conduct cannot be justified or condoned on security or any other grounds. It constituted grave violations of human rights law and international humanitarian law."

The families of those killed on the Mavi Marmara have repeatedly stated that compensation is not sufficient, and that those responsible must be brought to justice.

They are also insistent that the siege on Gaza be lifted.

After all, this is why their relatives sailed four years ago, alongside hundreds of others from around the word — to focus the world's attention on the humanitarian crisis created by Israel's blockade on Gaza.

We were bringing with us construction materials to repair some of the damage caused by Israel's bombings on Gaza. Also medicines, blankets, electrical wheelchairs and mobility scooters and materials to build children's playgrounds.

Four years on, the siege continues to plague Palestinian lives in Gaza.

Tunnels that had been used to partially alleviate the siege by smuggling in essential goods through the border with Egypt have been destroyed.

The UN reported that the volume of goods entering Gaza last month was the lowest since 2011, causing shortages of essential items including dairy products and fruits.

Fuel reserves are dangerously low, with only about 40 per cent of the amount required entering Gaza.

Families are struggling to cope with power shortages and blackouts of up to 12-16 hours a day. Two-thirds of Gaza's population currently receives clean water only once every three to four days.

Water contamination in Gaza stands at 90 per cent and essential medicines are unavailable.

Aid agencies are repeatedly warning that life will become impossible for Palestinians in Gaza if the infrastructure is not repaired, the aquifer is not replenished and the siege not lifted.

World Health Organisation (WHO) statistics show that 30 per cent of medicines and 50 per cent of medical disposables are out of stock at the Central Drug Store in Gaza.

Increasing numbers of patients are being referred for treatment abroad — due to the lack of essential equipment and supplies in Gaza — but many of these patients are refused permits to leave Gaza.

Amna al-Jazzar, a six-month-old baby, became yet another victim of the siege when she died on April 28 while her family waited for Israeli approval of her treatment in Israel.

The family submitted a total of four applications between February and April for a permit to cross Erez to meet the hospital appointments. Three of those applications were never replied to and one was denied.

Article 33 of the Fourth Geneva Convention states that "No persons may be punished for an offence he or she has not personally committed." Yet 1.7 million Palestinians are being collectively punished, and despite international condemnation, Israel has not been forced to lift the blockade.

This is why, four years ago, we set sail to Gaza. And this is why we are continuing to work to break the siege.

http://www.morningstaronline.co.uk/a-58c8-The-continuing-inspiration-of-the-Mavi-Marmara#.U4moE3aTIto

give her dixie

This is the latest in the ongoing case against Israel over the attacks

Spain 'issues arrest warrant' for Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu over 2010 Gaza flotilla attack

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and seven other former and current government officials are at risk of arrest if they set foot in Spain, after a Spanish judge effectively issued an arrest warrant for the group, it has been reported.

According to the Latin American Herald Tribune, Spanish national court judge Jose de la Mata ordered the police and civil guard to notify him if Mr Netanyahu and the six other individuals enter the country, as their actions could see a case against them regarding the Freedom Flotilla attack of 2010 reopened.

The other men named in the issue are former defence minister Ehud Barak, former foreign minister Avigdor Leiberman, former minister of strategic affairs Moshe Yaalon, former interior minister Eli Yishai, minister without portfolio Benny Begin and vice admiral maron Eliezer, who was in charge of the operation.

The case – which was put on hold by Judge de la Mata last year – was brought against the men following an attack by Israeli security forces against the Freedom Flotilla aid ships in 2010, which was trying to reach Gaza.

It concerns the Mavi Marmara ship, the main civilian vessel in a fleet of six that were attempting to break an Israeli blockade of the Gaza Strip. The six ships were carrying around 500 passengers, humanitarian aid and construction materials. The Israeli Defence Force stormed the ship in a raid that left nine human rights activists dead. A tenth activist died later that month due to wounds sustained in the raid.

The Israeli Prime Minister and other officials now face charges in the case, should it be reopened.

An Israeli foreign ministry spokesperson Emmanuel Nachshon told the Jerusalem Post: "We consider it to be a provocation. We are working with the Spanish authorities to get it cancelled. We hope it will be over soon."

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/spain-issues-arrest-warrant-for-israeli-prime-minister-benjamin-netanyahu-over-2010-gaza-flotilla-a6736436.html

mylestheslasher

Quote from: give her dixie on November 16, 2015, 07:45:59 PM

Spain 'issues arrest warrant' for Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu over 2010 Gaza flotilla attack

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and seven other former and current government officials are at risk of arrest if they set foot in Spain, after a Spanish judge effectively issued an arrest warrant for the group, it has been reported.

According to the Latin American Herald Tribune, Spanish national court judge Jose de la Mata ordered the police and civil guard to notify him if Mr Netanyahu and the six other individuals enter the country, as their actions could see a case against them regarding the Freedom Flotilla attack of 2010 reopened.

The other men named in the issue are former defence minister Ehud Barak, former foreign minister Avigdor Leiberman, former minister of strategic affairs Moshe Yaalon, former interior minister Eli Yishai, minister without portfolio Benny Begin and vice admiral maron Eliezer, who was in charge of the operation.

The case – which was put on hold by Judge de la Mata last year – was brought against the men following an attack by Israeli security forces against the Freedom Flotilla aid ships in 2010, which was trying to reach Gaza.

It concerns the Mavi Marmara ship, the main civilian vessel in a fleet of six that were attempting to break an Israeli blockade of the Gaza Strip. The six ships were carrying around 500 passengers, humanitarian aid and construction materials. The Israeli Defence Force stormed the ship in a raid that left nine human rights activists dead. A tenth activist died later that month due to wounds sustained in the raid.

The Israeli Prime Minister and other officials now face charges in the case, should it be reopened.

An Israeli foreign ministry spokesperson Emmanuel Nachshon told the Jerusalem Post: "We consider it to be a provocation. We are working with the Spanish authorities to get it cancelled. We hope it will be over soon."

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/spain-issues-arrest-warrant-for-israeli-prime-minister-benjamin-netanyahu-over-2010-gaza-flotilla-a6736436.html

The bit in bold is code for we will threaten Spain and try to overturn the rule of law in that country.

give her dixie

Quote from: mylestheslasher on November 16, 2015, 10:58:48 PM
Quote from: give her dixie on November 16, 2015, 07:45:59 PM

The bit in bold is code for we will threaten Spain and try to overturn the rule of law in that country.

It's not too long ago Netanyahu was issuing threats to France.....

http://www.businessinsider.com/afp-netanyahu-warns-of-grave-mistake-if-france-recognises-palestine-2014-11?IR=T