GAA Clubs on Facebook

Started by amallon, March 10, 2011, 10:01:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

amallon

Any clubs out there using facebook?  It would be a handy tool for keeping people informed but are there child protection issues? 
Disclaimer: I am responsible for MY comments only.  I don't own this site.

Milltown Row2

we are on it Naomh Gall

no problem so far and good for events that are happening in the club
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Norf Tyrone

We are on it too, and it's very handy for getting word around for club events especially underage events.

I think most of the child protection issues are ticket by your membership form if you've added a box for 'publicity' and the like. However, as you know, this is a minefield, and personally I try to be very careful what information and pictures I use.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

amallon

Lads how are your pages moderated?  Can anyone post or is there a way that comments have to be approved before hand.  My biggest worry is that someone would post some bad scandal on it and it would be there for a day or two before I'd notice it.  Stuff like that could start an almighty row. 

Eamonnca1

You can't comment anonymously, so people tend to watch what they post. It never becomes a hoganstand.com situation, not that I've ever seen anyway.

Milltown Row2

seems those issues have not been a problem
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

TacadoirArdMhacha

I run our club's facebook page. I had one or two problems with people logging on under assumed names to comment solely on a murder which happened a few years ago within our locality and which has nothing to do with our football club. I deleted everything straight away. Had the problem persisted I would have just taken down the page but thankfully it seemed to be a once off.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

AZOffaly

5 Sams

Quote from: amallon on March 10, 2011, 10:01:54 PM
Any clubs out there using facebook?  It would be a handy tool for keeping people informed but are there child protection issues?

We have been using it since August Aidan without any problems. We have representatives from all our committees acting as adminisrators and as someone said earlier you can't post anonymously so its really self regulating........
The Aristocrat Years

aontroim

Just be careful about how you are using it - if its just a page for the club promoting fixtures / results / social events etc that should be fine, but there are specific regulations against the use of social media sites to communicate with U18's in the GAA Code of Behaviour.

amallon

Quote from: aontroim on March 11, 2011, 11:53:11 AM
Just be careful about how you are using it - if its just a page for the club promoting fixtures / results / social events etc that should be fine, but there are specific regulations against the use of social media sites to communicate with U18's in the GAA Code of Behaviour.

Any idea what those regulation are?

Bingo

The whole child protection policy is huge now. Basically you can't text a underage player directly unless you contact his parent at same time, can't put certain pictures on websites ie individual pictures plus you need parents permission, can't put yourself in postion of been alone with a underage player ie lift home from training etc, coaches have to be vetted etc etc

Massive area, some it very obvious, alot less so.

aontroim

Quote from: amallon on March 11, 2011, 02:06:59 PM

Any idea what those regulation are?

From 'Code of Behaviour (2010)' off gaa.ie

Best practice

• Ensure that all players are suitably and safely attired to play their chosen sport.
• Keep a record of attendance at training and at games by both players and
coaches.
• Be aware of any special medical or dietary requirements of players as indicated
on the medical consent/registration forms or as informed by parents/
guardians
• Be punctual and properly attired.
• Rotate the team captaincy and the method used for selecting teams so that
the same children are not always selected to the exclusion of others.
• Set realistic – stretching but achievable – performance goals.
• Encourage parents/guardians to play an active role in organising and assisting
various activities for your teams and your club.
• Use mobile phones, if deemed appropriate, only via a group text or email
system for communicating with the parents/guardians of players. Any
exception to this form of group texting can only occur following permission
from parents/guardians.
Do not communicate individually by text/email with under age players.
• Do not engage in communications with under age players via social network
sites.

• Keep a record of any injuries and action subsequently taken. Ensure that
another official referee/team mentor is present when a player is being
attended to and can corroborate the relevant details.

When you look at all the current regulations / legislation it looks frightening to see the level of administration that is required for juvenile training etc.

bailestil

You should really only be using a facebook page for the club site rather than a facebook profile.
That means there is no private messaging, you can't invite someone to join the site etc. Everything is on public display etc.

We have a profile, but switched to a page as it suits the purpose much better and can be administered by any number of people, using their own logins.

heganboy

The Mighty Ballyhegan are on there...
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity