Comparing GAA players to pro players

Started by Eamonnca1, December 11, 2014, 08:08:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

Quote from: From the Bunker on December 16, 2014, 05:26:05 PM
Great article. I love Gaelic Games, but the reality is it is often up its own arse with praising itself and hyping where it lies in the the scheme of things from a sporting perspective. Good to see someone show a bit of perspective.

GAA is as much about identity as sport , really.  Local pride drives it.
Soccer is a different world. Global and driven at the highest level by money. There is no real comparison between the sports. 
They both serve a purpose but that's about it.

And bigging up local stuff is what drives the media everywhere. GAA can hardly escape it.

"The reason I hired a journalist was because I realised what journalists did: they took normal things and romanticised them"

Even with all the shite I think GAA is magnificent. Being in Croke Park for an all Ireland final is a very special experience.

deiseach

Quote from: seafoid on December 17, 2014, 10:46:54 AM
And bigging up local stuff is what drives the media everywhere. GAA can hardly escape it.

Indeed. Every sport has their share of guff. You'd want to have had a strong stomach in recent years if you weren't a fan of Munster rugby or had no interest in soccer during Italia '90.

seafoid

Quote from: deiseach on December 17, 2014, 12:46:32 PM
Quote from: seafoid on December 17, 2014, 10:46:54 AM

Indeed. Every sport has their share of guff. You'd want to have had a strong stomach in recent years if you weren't a fan of Munster rugby or had no interest in soccer during Italia '90.
or if you were tired of the memory man standing behind prominent swimmers suspected of drug use, for example 

deiseach

Quote from: seafoid on December 17, 2014, 12:59:14 PM
or if you were tired of the memory man standing behind prominent swimmers suspected of drug use, for example

A survey which got mentioned on Morning Ireland this morning would have us believe that swimming is the favourite sport of 5% of the nation, so he must have done something right. Either that, or it's complete bollocks.

From the Bunker

Quote from: deiseach on December 17, 2014, 02:04:25 PM

A survey which got mentioned on Morning Ireland this morning would have us believe that swimming is the favourite sport of 5% of the nation, so he must have done something right. Either that, or it's complete bollocks.

Swimming is the favourite sport of 5% reminds me of people who really have no likes or hobbies and fill their CV with the line I like to Walk, Swim, read and watch movies.

muppet

Quote from: From the Bunker on December 17, 2014, 05:06:03 PM

Swimming is the favourite sport of 5% reminds me of people who really have no likes or hobbies and fill their CV with the line I like to Walk, Swim, read and watch movies.

I usually put: I know you won't read this so I will put these words here to fill the space.

MWWSI 2017

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: muppet on December 17, 2014, 05:33:05 PM

I usually put: I know you won't read this so I will put these words here to fill the space.

Bullshit, you've never had to complete a CV in your live,  bloody flying high above us all you are :Pc

muppet

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on December 17, 2014, 06:10:40 PM

Bullshit, you've never had to complete a CV in your live,  bloody flying high above us all you are :Pc

Are smilies mandatory to indicate a joke? But you are right, I didn't put that on my CV.

And btw I reckon I have done 5 interviews in the last 4 years.
MWWSI 2017

AZOffaly

Quote from: muppet on December 17, 2014, 06:19:53 PM

Are smilies mandatory to indicate a joke? But you are right, I didn't put that on my CV.

That's actually called "helping Gardai with their enquiries"

muppet

Quote from: AZOffaly on December 17, 2014, 09:59:12 PM
Quote from: muppet on December 17, 2014, 06:19:53 PM

That's actually called "helping Gardai with their enquiries"

Excellent.  ;D
MWWSI 2017

muppet

MWWSI 2017