Joe Brolly

Started by randomtask, July 31, 2011, 05:28:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Franko

Quote from: BennyHarp on April 06, 2017, 04:40:32 PM
Quote from: Franko on April 06, 2017, 03:26:10 PM
Quote from: BennyHarp on April 06, 2017, 02:48:30 PM
Quote from: Franko on April 06, 2017, 02:30:28 PM
I think you're directing the anger at the wrong person here.  Brolly is 100% NOT to blame for brandishing these names about.  That's the same morons you described earlier.

But Brolly has given them the oxygen. If he hadn't made that claim in the national press then it wouldn't even be an issue. People in a position of influence should accept that their words can provide ammunition for morons to do what they do!

You are making the assumption that he's telling fibs.  If he's telling the truth would you suggest he just not write about it?

You've lost the run of yourself ("ammunition" - seriously  ;D).  True or not, the story is based around some young fella telling him that Tyrone training was boring.  Brolly wrote a story about it.  You'd think children were dying on the streets!  Reality check needed here.

1. It doesn't matter if he's telling the truth or not. He hasn't provided any evidence other than a mystery conversation and it's taken as fact in some quarters. The claim by Declan Bonner that the Tyrone minor was sledging about a lads late father was never proven yet the kid took dogs abuse online and in real life. So people in a position of influence have no responsibility for their words or is it just all a big laugh? If Joe is so sure on his assumption that all isn't well in the Tyrone camp, because that is what he is implying, then provide the evidence and write away!

2. Ffs, the word ammunition is a figure of speech!  ::) Why did Jim McGuinness chuck Kevin Cassidy off the Donegal squad? Joe knows exactly what the impact of a lad speaking negatively  to someone outside the team "circle" would have on a squad. Of course it's not life or death, who said it was? Why debate anything if there's no passion involved, but it is the Cult of Joe attitude to write all controversy off as a bit of a laugh. You're clearly a fully paid up member!

The only evidence he could provide would be to name the person who told him.  At that stage he would be at risk of doing what you were so afraid of initially - damaging someone's reputation.

Secondly, I'll repeat.  The source said (or didn't say) that TRAINING WAS BORING.  Big f**king deal.  You can't compare that to sledging someone over the death of their father.  Your choice of example shows how much you've lost the plot over this.

Walter Cronc

Jesus Benny go paint the fence or something!

You teachers and too much time ;)

BennyHarp

Quote from: Walter Cronc on April 06, 2017, 05:01:10 PM
Jesus Benny go paint the fence or something!

You teachers and too much time ;)

Walt, It's hard work having all this spare time, sure I've lost the plot and it's only week 1 of the Easter holidays ;)

Franko, what did Kevin Cassidy say that got him chucked off the Donegal squad? It was no big deal but it caused a fair old amount of ructions in Donegal. If it is true and the player has spoken to Joe, then it could cause a few problems in the squad. Not ideal in the lead up to a championship.

I wasn't comparing it to the sledging, I was comparing the impact of making unsubstantiated claims in the public domain. At least having a bit of passion about your own county is justified, I'd wonder why you are "f**kin" swearing over the issue.....with no vested interest.
That was never a square ball!!

Fuzzman

It's easy for most people to laugh it off and say yeah sure don't take Brolly too seriously but that's fine when he isn't always picking on your team. He's fairly pissed off a lot of Mayo & Kerry fans and players over the last few years.

He's always had a dislike for Tyrone which of course you can understand as he played for Derry but what bothers me the most is he now uses his new found fame over the last number of years to continually bad mouth Tyrone as much as he can. The way he disrespected Sean Cavanagh and then a week or so afterwards gave a false private apology when the harm was all done. Why did he not say publicly on TSG that he was out of order and wrong.
He doesn't seem to give a damn who he pisses off or what he says about anyone and that includes his own family as I've heard him say things about his own sister that was a disgrace but in his eyes sure its just for the craic.

I'd say Brolly is fed up watching the way Tyrone play the game so defensively and so he'd love to start a row among Tyrone people to get Harte ousted and for their to be a change. Lots of Tyrone fans would agree with him in a way of course and by the sounds of things he's already had an influence there but I would say this is all his own made up story. There is no way any player would approach Brolly with such a story but why would the truth get in the way of a good story.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Fuzzman on April 06, 2017, 05:28:49 PM
It's easy for most people to laugh it off and say yeah sure don't take Brolly too seriously but that's fine when he isn't always picking on your team. He's fairly pissed off a lot of Mayo & Kerry fans and players over the last few years.

He's always had a dislike for Tyrone which of course you can understand as he played for Derry but what bothers me the most is he now uses his new found fame over the last number of years to continually bad mouth Tyrone as much as he can. The way he disrespected Sean Cavanagh and then a week or so afterwards gave a false private apology when the harm was all done. Why did he not say publicly on TSG that he was out of order and wrong.
He doesn't seem to give a damn who he pisses off or what he says about anyone and that includes his own family as I've heard him say things about his own sister that was a disgrace but in his eyes sure its just for the craic.

I'd say Brolly is fed up watching the way Tyrone play the game so defensively and so he'd love to start a row among Tyrone people to get Harte ousted and for their to be a change. Lots of Tyrone fans would agree with him in a way of course and by the sounds of things he's already had an influence there but I would say this is all his own made up story. There is no way any player would approach Brolly with such a story but why would the truth get in the way of a good story.

Yeah, he sure seems to have an obsession with all things Tyrone but that wasn't always the case. Back in 2008, after the Ai, he he made some very sweeping predictions about how good Tyrone was ans how there was nobody in the land that would catch them for years to come. (This was in the Irish News, IIRC)
Brolly reckoned that with the money flowing in fropm the GFA, Tyrone has a very sound development structure and that the stream oof good underage players coming through would keep the ahead of everyone else for the foreseeable futuree.
Well, not for the first time, poor Joe turned out to be speaking through his anal orifice but that hasn't stopped him shout his size 12 mouth off on everything and anything that he fancies to enlighten the rest of us poor mortals about.
I never thought too much of him, good or bad, until an Ulster final some years ago. Monaghan were playing and a few days before the game, Tommy Freeman, a roofer by trade, had a serious accident at work. He drove a hilti nail through his hand but turned out to play with his arm heavily strapped.
Brolly went into overdrive from start to finish poking fun at Freeman and whenever he took a free or attempted a pass, Brolly made some smart comment such as sneering that he'd better be more accurate than he was when he put the nail through his hand.  To their credit, nobody else in the studio paid any attention to his wisecracks though he tried his damndest to get a response.
He seems to be a complex, very much Jekyll & Hyde, character but for me, his need to seek attention by running others down put him in the w**kers category.

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Fuzzman

You've nailed it Lar

macdanger2

Absolutely, brolly's a complete w*nker. Not sure why anyone listens to him, the occasional bit of sense is buried under a mountain of self serving bullsh*t. 

DuffleKing

Pretty much what Lar said

ck

Heard Brolly is involved in tbe background with Derry U21s. Can any Derry folk confirm?

Fuzzman

Make your own mind up by listening to him on last Friday's off the ball podcast where he was licking the ass of the Crossmaglen ones.

http://www.newstalk.com/podcasts/Off_The_Ball/GAA_on_Off_The_Ball/185966/Joe_Brolly_At_Crossmaglen

About 2/3 of the way in he's chatting about punditry and how it's not to be taken seriously and that RTE and SKY won't let you speak your mind and he's been told to try to be a bit more positive about games.
He goes on to say it shouldn't be about winning but be about entertainment and to me that's the nub of the problem. Managers and players want to win over and above everything else whereas fans from neutral counties want to see a good entertaining match.

When you're a fan of a team that is winning ugly you will put up with the style of play but when you lose it's harder to take.

Walter Cronc

Quote from: ck on April 07, 2017, 10:21:34 AM
Heard Brolly is involved in tbe background with Derry U21s. Can any Derry folk confirm?
Quote from: ck on April 07, 2017, 10:21:34 AM

Don't believe so. It's Fergal P McCusker, Enda Muldoon and a few others as far as I know.

The Stallion

Quote from: Fuzzman on April 07, 2017, 11:20:40 AM
Make your own mind up by listening to him on last Friday's off the ball podcast where he was licking the ass of the Crossmaglen ones.

http://www.newstalk.com/podcasts/Off_The_Ball/GAA_on_Off_The_Ball/185966/Joe_Brolly_At_Crossmaglen

About 2/3 of the way in he's chatting about punditry and how it's not to be taken seriously and that RTE and SKY won't let you speak your mind and he's been told to try to be a bit more positive about games.
He goes on to say it shouldn't be about winning but be about entertainment and to me that's the nub of the problem. Managers and players want to win over and above everything else whereas fans from neutral counties want to see a good entertaining match.

When you're a fan of a team that is winning ugly you will put up with the style of play but when you lose it's harder to take.

I agree that the importance of winning at the expense of entertainment is a big problem with GAA today. The win at any cost mentality has contributed to negative defensive tactics as well as an increase in cowardly stuff like slabbering and cynical play.

It's so widespread that even supporters will try and justify appalling behaviour from players in the teams the support. A lot of the Tyrone antics come to mind here.

macdanger2

Started listening to it but skipped the brolly bit. The rest of the podcast is interesting though

rrhf

Quote from: The Stallion on April 07, 2017, 11:52:21 AM

I agree that the importance of winning at the expense of entertainment is a big problem with GAA today. The win at any cost mentality has contributed to negative defensive tactics as well as an increase in cowardly stuff like slabbering and cynical play.

It's so widespread that even supporters will try and justify appalling behaviour from players in the teams the support. A lot of the Tyrone antics come to mind here.
The 1992/3/94 all Irelands were a snoozefest.  There was hardly a decent forward in form made it to Croke Park those years. 91 was brilliant. 90 was poor, 95 was poor. 96 was great, 97 was poor, 98 was cracking, 99 was poor, 2000 was great, 2001 was good, 2002 was good, 2003 was good, 2004 was a w/o, 2005 was the best year ever, 2006 was a w/o, 2007 was a w/o 2008 was good, 2009 was a w/o, 2010 was grand, 2011 was good, 2012 was grand, 2013 was poor, 2014 was poor, 2015 was good, 2016 was good. 

The Stallion

The finals may not have been great but there were more watchable games.