The Many Faces of US Politics...

Started by Tyrones own, March 20, 2009, 09:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J70

Quote from: whitey on November 11, 2014, 01:24:27 PM
Quote from: seafoid on November 11, 2014, 01:06:10 PM
Whitey

Who do you think the GOP will pick to go in 2016?
If they could silence the tea party crowd they might have a chance but they'll have
to have some way of getting women and Latinos on board.

Thats a hard one....because candidates from both parties need to go to the fringes to get through their primaries. 

(Just a couple of weeks ago at a joint Elizabeth Warren event, Hillary said that "corporations didn't create jobs"-she immediately backtracked, but the Republicans are already using it to define her)

Lets be honest: Who is a slip of the tongue going to convince that already isn't opposed to the candidate? Hillary Clinton very obviously doesn't believe that corporations don't create jobs. It was like the Obama "you didn't build that" comment in 2012. Obviously he mangled what he was saying, but what he was saying was bleeding obvious to any honest listener when taken in context i.e. business cannot succeed without the wider society and infrastructure that we all pay for.

I despise the electioneering that goes on in the US, because so much of it is based on taking statements out of context and outright lies about candidates. The fact that there is a fact-checking industry surrounding political statements tells you all you need to know about the calibre of people who get involved in politics.

Quote from: whitey on November 11, 2014, 01:24:27 PM
Personally, I think a Republican Governor from a Blue State is the perfect candidate. They are experts at dealmaking, negotiation and compromise. They cant hold extreme views on social issues because they would be unelectable to their constituents. 

(Most people don't realize that as Governor of MA, Mitt Romney worked with Ted Kennedy to bring in universal healthcare at the state level)

That being said, I would love to see Chris Christie run, but I don't know if he's right wing enough to get through the primary...and telling a heckler to sit down and shut up last week definitely raised some eyebrows.

Senators have a difficult time as candidates because they have a voting record. All types of stuff can be pinned on you thats completely unfair.  Thats where most of the attack ads come from, and both sides do it.

(Many of the proposed bills never even make it out of committee and never even have a chance of making it to a vote

I could live with Christie, sans the grandstanding, but he hasn't a hope.

J70

Quote from: whitey on November 11, 2014, 02:44:14 PM
Quote from: deiseach on November 11, 2014, 02:18:51 PM
I can't see Christie getting the Republican nomination. If nothing else, this image should kill his campaign stone dead:

That's exactly the type of candidate we need and the fvckwit in the Tea Party are diminishing in power by the day

Christie raised a $hit load of money and campaigned vigorously during this last election as head of the Republican Governors association. He helped elect Republican governors in the bluest of blue states-Massachusetts, Illinois and Maryland and has a lot of favors to now call in

http://m.wbaltv.com/politics/chris-christie-to-gov-omalley-clear-out-your-office/29498320

From what I can tell "Bridgegate" is a non issue-even though certain elements in the media make it out to be his Waterloo. It's been investigated and so far they haven't been able to link him to any of it
If anything it shows how desperate his detractors are if this is all they have to use against him

I don't believe for a second that his hands are clean on the GWB scandal. Do you really believe his closest assistants were up to their ears in it and he knew nothing? ;D

Of course, nothing will be ever be proven though.

It will be interesting to see how those to took the fall end up.

Another fine episode in NJ politics!

J70

Quote from: deiseach on November 11, 2014, 03:01:43 PM
The electability thing was what spurred the Republicans to go for Romney. You can be sure the base - they're the ones who actually vote in GOP primaries - are not going to allow themselves to be suckered into that kind of choice again.

They said that after McCain in 2008! ;D

whitey

Quote from: J70 on November 11, 2014, 07:57:59 PM
Quote from: whitey on November 11, 2014, 03:13:37 PM
Quote from: seafoid on November 11, 2014, 03:06:24 PM
The electability thing was what spurred the Republicans to go for Romney. You can be sure the base - they're the ones who actually vote in GOP primaries - are not going to allow themselves to be suckered into that kind of choice again.
But then they'll lose again. An orthodox Republican who ticks all the boxes with the Tea Party will get slaughtered.
And they don't have that many moderates left.   

There are 300 people on each side working to find videos like this to sink the other side

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2gvY2wqI7M

Bet your life there are.....the Republicans wont get caught flat footed again.

I can only imagine what was said at some of Obamas close door fundraisers-LOL (but we will never know)

Did he not get into trouble for the "cling to guns and religion" comment back in 2008? Did the right wing not flog that to death?

Actually he said it during the primaries so he got hammered by Hillary Clinton and the other Democratic candidates (but Im sure the Republicans jumped on in due course)

Big difference between the two events is that Obamas statements were made during an event that was being openly recorded by numerous parties. He just let his guard down

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/14/us/politics/14web-seelye.html?pagewanted=all

If thats what Obama was prepared to say in Public while being recorded, I can only imagine what he was saying behind closed doors when no one was recording

Romney's statements on the other hand, were captured by a waiter who hid a recording device in a potted plant during an event that was a "closed mic" fundraiser.

deiseach

Quote from: J70 on November 11, 2014, 08:13:52 PM

They said that after McCain in 2008! ;D

Heh. Fair point.

J70

Quote from: whitey on November 11, 2014, 08:28:53 PM
But then they'll lose again. An orthodox Republican who ticks all the boxes with the Tea Party will get slaughtered.

There are 300 people on each side working to find videos like this to sink the other side

I can only imagine what was said at some of Obamas close door fundraisers-LOL (but we will never know)

Did he not get into trouble for the "cling to guns and religion" comment back in 2008? Did the right wing not flog that to death?

Actually he said it during the primaries so he got hammered by Hillary Clinton and the other Democratic candidates (but Im sure the Republicans jumped on in due course)

Big difference between the two events is that Obamas statements were made during an event that was being openly recorded by numerous parties. He just let his guard down

If thats what Obama was prepared to say in Public while being recorded, I can only imagine what he was saying behind closed doors when no one was recording

Romney's statements on the other hand, were captured by a waiter who hid a recording device in a potted plant during an event that was a "closed mic" fundraiser.

In this day and age, any politician (or public speaker of any kind) who doesn't assume they may be recorded is an idiot, invited guests only,  or not.

Obama's point in that case was a fair one, I thought. Obviously too honest for the ridiculous "gotcha" political commentary industry, but true nonetheless.  The Republicans regularly use those issues as wedge issues to distract voters.

whitey

Quote from: J70 on November 11, 2014, 10:34:39 PM

In this day and age, any politician (or public speaker of any kind) who doesn't assume they may be recorded is an idiot, invited guests only,  or not.

Obama's point in that case was a fair one, I thought. Obviously too honest for the ridiculous "gotcha" political commentary industry, but true nonetheless.  The Republicans regularly use those issues as wedge issues to distract voters.

Spot on.....exactly the same way the Democrats have used the "War on women" to pander to their low information base

whitey

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on November 11, 2014, 01:36:31 PM
Quote from: muppet on November 11, 2014, 12:55:18 PM
I have to laugh at Sheehy in fairness.

He has posted a few times now that he is not only a Democrat, but actually an Obama supporter!  :D :D :D :D

Hilarious stuff.

yes, I voted for Obama and would disagree with Whitey's position on Universal healthcare for example. However, unlike people like you I don't hold republicans in contempt just because I disagree with some of their positions.

I also don't see why Whitey needs to explain the position of the GOP on women voters to someone who makes disgusting , misogynistic comments about womens menstrual cycles....do you ?

The hypocrisy is beyond parody at this stage.

What do you make of this? LOL.

(And Democrats wonder why the Republicans don't trust the President)

http://dailysignal.com/2014/11/09/caught-camera-obamacare-architect-admits-deceiving-americans-pass-law/

muppet

Quote from: whitey on November 12, 2014, 12:01:39 PM
Quote from: Mike Sheehy on November 11, 2014, 01:36:31 PM
Quote from: muppet on November 11, 2014, 12:55:18 PM
I have to laugh at Sheehy in fairness.

He has posted a few times now that he is not only a Democrat, but actually an Obama supporter!  :D :D :D :D

Hilarious stuff.

yes, I voted for Obama and would disagree with Whitey's position on Universal healthcare for example. However, unlike people like you I don't hold republicans in contempt just because I disagree with some of their positions.

I also don't see why Whitey needs to explain the position of the GOP on women voters to someone who makes disgusting , misogynistic comments about womens menstrual cycles....do you ?

The hypocrisy is beyond parody at this stage.

What do you make of this? LOL.

(And Democrats wonder why the Republicans don't trust the President)

http://dailysignal.com/2014/11/09/caught-camera-obamacare-architect-admits-deceiving-americans-pass-law/

Are you serious?

Lack of transparency = deception!

Deception is against the law here (don't know about the US) but a lack of transparency isn't. For lack of transparency see the previous post regarding the Whitewater attorney.

And you don't understand insurance do you? Healthy people pay for sick people, that's the way it works.
MWWSI 2017

whitey

Did you watch the clip?

The bill was specifically written in a "tortured" manner (his words, not mine) so as to hide its true costs.

I don't know what you work at, but in my line of work, if I pulled something like that on a client, I would be looking at about 10 years in jail.

heganboy

Quote from: whitey on November 12, 2014, 12:19:21 PM
Did you watch the clip?

The bill was specifically written in a "tortured" manner (his words, not mine) so as to hide its true costs.

I don't know what you work at, but in my line of work, if I pulled something like that on a client, I would be looking at about 10 years in jail.
In what country do you work?
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

muppet

Quote from: heganboy on November 12, 2014, 12:38:40 PM
Quote from: whitey on November 12, 2014, 12:19:21 PM
Did you watch the clip?

In what country do you work?

What planet more likely.

And I did watch the clip. I see a fool boasting about his own self-importance.

And show me the law that puts you in jail for 10 years for writing something in a 'tortured' manner or indeed to hide true costs.
MWWSI 2017

deiseach

I wonder how many years should be given to the chap at the Heritage Foundation (owners of the Daily Signal) who claimed that Paul Ryan's budget would cause such a burst in growth that unemployment would fall to 2.8%, only to delete the claim when everyone pointed out that it was bullshit. Gee, deleting stories and pretending they never happened. Where have we seen that before?

J70

Quote from: whitey on November 12, 2014, 11:57:22 AM
Quote from: J70 on November 11, 2014, 10:34:39 PM

Spot on.....exactly the same way the Democrats have used the "War on women" to pander to their low information base

To a point,  but not exactly equivalent.  E.g. the GOP used gay marriage referendums to great effect in 2004 to turn out the evangelicals, but let's face it, how exactly does gay people getting married affect the actual lives of anyone beyond the gay people themselves?  And the fictitious " War on christians"? (Fox should be starting any day now on their annual Christmas "outrages") The non-existent threat to gun ownership rights?

On the other hand,  advocating that health insurance cover contraception or that women be trusted to make their own decisions on abortions, without invasive procedures or emotional blackmail is acting on real concerns for women.  Disagree with abortion or not, those are issues that actually affect woman. Another example -it's interesting that of the 5 Republicans who voted for the Lilly Ledbetter Act in the Senate, 4 were woman, and the 5th later switched to the Dems.

Of course,  I am sure Democrats also seize any opportunity to distract their potential voters from the real issues. Thats what politicians do. Just don't agree on THOSE particular issues.

deiseach

A simpler way of looking at how the narrative in American politics is laden with false equivalences is with regards to tackling the deficit. Ever since 2008, the narrative has been that the Democrats want to reduce the deficit by increasing taxes and the Republicans want to do it by reducing spending and oh if only some way could be found to find a middle ground between the two. But that middle ground was there all along. It was the policy of the Democrats to have a combination of tax increases and spending cuts while the Republicans fought tooth and nail to prevent anything that had even the whiff of a tax increase. There simply is no possibility of establishing a 'middle ground' when the Republicans refuse to engage in any horse trading. And while I make no apologies for viewing the policies of the GOP with contempt, I reserve my greatest disdain for the media who refuse to place the blame for gridlock where it belongs out of some misplaced notion of 'balance'.