The OFFICIAL Liverpool FC thread - Jurgen walks - Stallion vindicated

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, February 05, 2009, 03:47:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deiseach

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on November 11, 2014, 02:34:00 PM
A clinker from our old favourite The Jimmy!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQNwwz0gS4k

Nearly ten years since his clanger against Burnley. If someone had said to me as we headed out of Turf Moor that night that in less than five months he'd be lifting the European Cup, I'd have asked what stadium tour he was planning on doing.

AZOffaly

I see Sturridge returned to training today. I expect news of a groin pull any day now. In fairness, if he gets back, it will be like a new signing for that team.

Canalman

For those of you so inclined there was a very interesting interview with Damien Comolli on the Newstalk sports show yesterday. Should be on podcast and definitely worth a listen if you are a LFC and THFC fan. Very interesting guy.

tiempo

Quote from: Canalman on November 17, 2014, 06:25:32 PM
For those of you so inclined there was a very interesting interview with Damien Comolli on the Newstalk sports show yesterday. Should be on podcast and definitely worth a listen if you are a LFC and THFC fan. Very interesting guy.

Comolli is a bluffer who tried to put moneyball into practice at liverpool and failed miserably with downing and carroll among his acquisitions. He got a job at Arsenal after discovering Clichy, got big jobs at Spurs and Pool off that, you would get more sense out of a packet of top trumps playing cards

Canalman

Quote from: tiempo on November 17, 2014, 06:58:57 PM
Quote from: Canalman on November 17, 2014, 06:25:32 PM

Comolli is a bluffer who tried to put moneyball into practice at liverpool and failed miserably with downing and carroll among his acquisitions. He got a job at Arsenal after discovering Clichy, got big jobs at Spurs and Pool off that, you would get more sense out of a packet of top trumps playing cards

Didn't seem to me to be a bluffer in the interview. Just chanced upon it. Different angle on the game .

thewobbler

While I'm not trying to defend him, I don't believe for one second that Comolli hand picked Carroll and Downing. That was all King Kenny trying to repeat his Blackburn success with out and out wingers and aerial centre forwards.

People make too much of a deal about a DoF's role in picking players generally. A DoF should be about providing continuity in a club so that the roles of coaches and scouts are interchangeable. He'll be part of a transfer committee, will have sway and will be important to negotiations. But if you've got a celebrity manager with the chairman's trust, it a reactionary role.

Spurs have gone Santini - Jol - Ramos - Redknapp - AVB - Sherwood - Pochettino in the past decade. The only continuity a DoF could have between those changes in footballing 'philosophy' is a continual headache.

AZOffaly

Looks like Sturridge broke down in training again today FFS. He's a disaster.

cadhlancian

Source? I see nothing online about it??

laoislad

When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

blewuporstuffed

Any chance of recalling Origi early from his loan if Sturridge is out long term again?  :-\
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

AZOffaly

I'd be interested in Ballinaman's take on this, as someone professional in that field. I'm thinking what the f**k are Liverpool doing in terms of stretching, warmups, and other preventative measures here. This guy is obviously prone to 'soft tissue' injuries, so is there nothing you can do to mitigate the risk of him picking up more as he comes back. To break down twice in training with two different injuries than the original issue, but all of them being strains or pulls of some description, makes me wonder what is going on there.

Souness used to get awful grief for his training methods and the way injuries seemed to pile up due to over exertion. Van Gaal is facing similar questions at Old Trafford. LFC don't seem to have a huge volume of this sort of thing, but are they handling this individual case correctly I wonder?

brokencrossbar1

I agree to a point AZ but it's hard to know how much the player is contributing to this. We all know as players that all we ever want to do is play when we might have been out for a while injured. We would tell the manger I'm grand and push ourselves a bit harder than we should. I wonder if this might be part of the problem as I reckon he doesn't self manage injuries well.

AZOffaly

Yeah, it could be that alright. That's why I'm wondering, as opposed to giving out, but at the same time you'd like to think the staff would be cogniscant of his history and be careful with him. If they are being careful and he is still breaking down, then his body is simply not built to be a professional sportsman.