Franko

Quote from: smelmoth on May 04, 2022, 02:11:52 PM
Quote from: Franko on May 04, 2022, 01:43:20 PM
Quote from: smelmoth on May 04, 2022, 11:39:27 AM
Quote from: Snapchap on May 04, 2022, 10:19:08 AM
Quote from: Rossfan on May 04, 2022, 09:47:08 AM
Quote from: johnnycool on May 04, 2022, 09:26:44 AM
Quote from: trailer on May 04, 2022, 09:06:48 AM
Eastwood definitely the best performer. Skewed Jeffrey at every chance. Thought Michelle was good as well. Assured and has definitely been for coaching around her delivery. Slower and assured.
Doug doesn't perform well in these formal setups. He's the bloke next door. Looks like he put a suit on for the niece's wedding.
Jeffrey sucked up the airtime quite cleverly but was all over the shop. Unionist voters surely have to see that?
Naomi talks sense but sitting on the fence in regards to a UI isn't a tenable position in the long term. She's also got into an awful size.

I think it is for the Alliance.

If and when a border poll is in place, they just need to sit back and say they'll accept the will of the majority and work within any structure that's decided on.

No need to alienate any side of your voting base and then have a clean slate post border poll.
100%

Yiz must be joking. A border poll, when it happens, will be the most seismic political event of our lifetimes. Nobody will be able to escape partaking in the debate once the referendum is called - least of all a political party. I don't think it's credible to think that a party will willingly sideline itself from involvement in the hottest political event in it's existence. If it is foolish enough to try sitting on the fence then it will be lambasted from every side, not just from one. In Britain, Labour tried to ride two horses at once with the Brexit referendum and made an embarrassment of themselves. For now, Alliance can sit on the fence today and insist that they are not concerned with hypothetical constitutional arrangements when the health/cost of living crises etc are what people want dealt with; which is well and good, but once a border poll is called then that excuse goes out the window. A referendum campaign when it happens, will be all people will be talking about and in such a climate, Alliance will be unable to pretend otherwise. Naomi Long already stated before at Féile and Phobail that in the event of a border poll, the party will campaign. She just wouldn't be drawn on what side they will campaign on.

EDIT

She's also said on twitter a number of times, that Alliance will take a side in the event of a referendum:
https://twitter.com/naomi_long/status/1055517213879427077
https://twitter.com/naomi_long/status/1055520603610980357
https://twitter.com/naomi_long/status/1205491354232610816
https://twitter.com/naomi_long/status/1198948527264677897
https://twitter.com/naomi_long/status/1129417742711427074

The important thing to remember is that if the referendum ever happens it will be stocked to the gills with people who haven't weighed it up at all. They will have decided many years before. There will be a decent spread of these idiots across both sides of the campaign.

Others will adopt an attitude something like this:
A) dispassionately weigh up the options at the time.
B) make a decision based upon the up to date analysis.
C) get on with doing their best for this place in the meantime.
D) recognise that should a UI be voted into existence that NI and power sharing will still be here and portraying everything about being firstly and maybe lastly about the constitutional question is to waste the potential of the place when we are all still have to live along side each other and share power the other side of such a referendum.

There are of course people who will bear the constitutional question first when considering who is going to make decisions about schools, swimming pools, roads, bus fares, health etc etc. But we shouldn't beat ourselves about that as there are stupid people everywhere.

Anyone who doesn't have EXACTLY the same priorities as you is 'stupid'

Have a word with yourself, you self-important buffoon

Either I did or I didn't say that anyone who did not have EXACTLY the same priorities as me was 'stupid'. Be very clear that I did not. Don't make things up.

What I did say was that it would be stupid to elect someone to a body that was going to oversee matters that would have an impact of the health, happiness, prosperity and security of all who I hold dear and wider society based upon their view on a different matter that the body was not going to decide. I am sorry that that needed explanation.

Anyway I have self important things to be getting on with.

Decent bit of reversing.

However, the position you've now reversed into doesn't really stand up to scrutiny.

Plenty of people elect politicians based on a mixture of personality and policy.  IMO, to take their professed views on a lot of issues into account is a healthy thing - even if some of these bear no relevance to the activities they will undertake in the chamber.  In the days when parties control the narrative more than ever, it can be the only differentiator.

Some people consider the constitutional question to be the biggest question (personally, I don't, but I would rank it higher than swimming pools ::)).

Some people think that the solutions to the problems in many of those other areas will flow from this.

For many, it's not possible to consider this dispassionately, due to family history / grief etc etc.

You may not agree with that, but the way to change their mind is certainly not to run around with your nose in the air calling them stupid.

trailer

Quote from: Franko on May 04, 2022, 04:55:39 PM
Quote from: smelmoth on May 04, 2022, 02:11:52 PM
Quote from: Franko on May 04, 2022, 01:43:20 PM
Quote from: smelmoth on May 04, 2022, 11:39:27 AM
Quote from: Snapchap on May 04, 2022, 10:19:08 AM
Quote from: Rossfan on May 04, 2022, 09:47:08 AM
Quote from: johnnycool on May 04, 2022, 09:26:44 AM
Quote from: trailer on May 04, 2022, 09:06:48 AM
Eastwood definitely the best performer. Skewed Jeffrey at every chance. Thought Michelle was good as well. Assured and has definitely been for coaching around her delivery. Slower and assured.
Doug doesn't perform well in these formal setups. He's the bloke next door. Looks like he put a suit on for the niece's wedding.
Jeffrey sucked up the airtime quite cleverly but was all over the shop. Unionist voters surely have to see that?
Naomi talks sense but sitting on the fence in regards to a UI isn't a tenable position in the long term. She's also got into an awful size.

I think it is for the Alliance.

If and when a border poll is in place, they just need to sit back and say they'll accept the will of the majority and work within any structure that's decided on.

No need to alienate any side of your voting base and then have a clean slate post border poll.
100%

Yiz must be joking. A border poll, when it happens, will be the most seismic political event of our lifetimes. Nobody will be able to escape partaking in the debate once the referendum is called - least of all a political party. I don't think it's credible to think that a party will willingly sideline itself from involvement in the hottest political event in it's existence. If it is foolish enough to try sitting on the fence then it will be lambasted from every side, not just from one. In Britain, Labour tried to ride two horses at once with the Brexit referendum and made an embarrassment of themselves. For now, Alliance can sit on the fence today and insist that they are not concerned with hypothetical constitutional arrangements when the health/cost of living crises etc are what people want dealt with; which is well and good, but once a border poll is called then that excuse goes out the window. A referendum campaign when it happens, will be all people will be talking about and in such a climate, Alliance will be unable to pretend otherwise. Naomi Long already stated before at Féile and Phobail that in the event of a border poll, the party will campaign. She just wouldn't be drawn on what side they will campaign on.

EDIT

She's also said on twitter a number of times, that Alliance will take a side in the event of a referendum:
https://twitter.com/naomi_long/status/1055517213879427077
https://twitter.com/naomi_long/status/1055520603610980357
https://twitter.com/naomi_long/status/1205491354232610816
https://twitter.com/naomi_long/status/1198948527264677897
https://twitter.com/naomi_long/status/1129417742711427074

The important thing to remember is that if the referendum ever happens it will be stocked to the gills with people who haven't weighed it up at all. They will have decided many years before. There will be a decent spread of these idiots across both sides of the campaign.

Others will adopt an attitude something like this:
A) dispassionately weigh up the options at the time.
B) make a decision based upon the up to date analysis.
C) get on with doing their best for this place in the meantime.
D) recognise that should a UI be voted into existence that NI and power sharing will still be here and portraying everything about being firstly and maybe lastly about the constitutional question is to waste the potential of the place when we are all still have to live along side each other and share power the other side of such a referendum.

There are of course people who will bear the constitutional question first when considering who is going to make decisions about schools, swimming pools, roads, bus fares, health etc etc. But we shouldn't beat ourselves about that as there are stupid people everywhere.

Anyone who doesn't have EXACTLY the same priorities as you is 'stupid'

Have a word with yourself, you self-important buffoon

Either I did or I didn't say that anyone who did not have EXACTLY the same priorities as me was 'stupid'. Be very clear that I did not. Don't make things up.

What I did say was that it would be stupid to elect someone to a body that was going to oversee matters that would have an impact of the health, happiness, prosperity and security of all who I hold dear and wider society based upon their view on a different matter that the body was not going to decide. I am sorry that that needed explanation.

Anyway I have self important things to be getting on with.

Decent bit of reversing.

However, the position you've now reversed into doesn't really stand up to scrutiny.

Plenty of people elect politicians based on a mixture of personality and policy.  IMO, to take their professed views on a lot of issues into account is a healthy thing - even if some of these bear no relevance to the activities they will undertake in the chamber.  In the days when parties control the narrative more than ever, it can be the only differentiator.

Some people consider the constitutional question to be the biggest question (personally, I don't, but I would rank it higher than swimming pools ::)).

Some people think that the solutions to the problems in many of those other areas will flow from this.

For many, it's not possible to consider this dispassionately, due to family history / grief etc etc.

You may not agree with that, but the way to change their mind is certainly not to run around with your nose in the air calling them stupid.

You've never queued for swimming lessons in Mid Ulster then.

Franko

Got the family membership - great job.

You should try it

red hander

Quote from: Eire90 on May 04, 2022, 04:12:54 PM
if a united ireland is voted for or near id expect loyalsits doing attacks inside the republic to make the south think twice if voting for it  it

The days of a minority of planted supremists on this island dictating the terms are over.

pbat

Loyalist wouldn't venture to far out of Rathcoole or Portadown without the protection of the state that they had in the past, more likely to kill some young fella walking home near short strand.

Mourne Red

So the Tories have shafted the DUP again.. On the night before the election you couldn't write it lol

delgany

Quote from: Mourne Red on May 04, 2022, 09:32:09 PM
So the Tories have shafted the DUP again.. On the night before the election you couldn't write it lol

Whats this Red

Mourne Red

Quote from: delgany on May 04, 2022, 09:35:42 PM

Whats this Red

" The British govt is signalling it's moving away from including plans allowing it to suspend part of the protocol in the Queen's speech next week."

Brits backing away from suspending protocol

LeoMc

Quote from: Franko on May 04, 2022, 05:21:29 PM
Got the family membership - great job.

You should try it

Does it include lessons?

marty34

Quote from: Mourne Red on May 04, 2022, 09:39:58 PM

Whats this Red

" The British govt is signalling it's moving away from including plans allowing it to suspend part of the protocol in the Queen's speech next week."

What's that about?

Is that deliberately timed due to the election in England?

restorepride

Quote from: red hander on May 04, 2022, 06:05:18 PM
Quote from: Eire90 on May 04, 2022, 04:12:54 PM
if a united ireland is voted for or near id expect loyalsits doing attacks inside the republic to make the south think twice if voting for it  it

The days of a minority of planted supremists on this island dictating the terms are over.
Well said.

Mikhail Prokhorov

Quote from: Eire90 on May 04, 2022, 04:11:14 PM
Quote from: marty34 on May 04, 2022, 02:13:22 PM
My bet is there could be another election later on in the year.

and the same people will get voted in again

and again and again and again ad infinitum

it's like the voters there are stupid or something  :-[

LeoMc

Quote from: marty34 on May 04, 2022, 11:12:16 PM

Whats this Red

What's that about?

I think there are 2 things at play here.
1. They can't have her Maj making a speech containing a threat to break international law.
2. A well timed kick in the balls to the DUP for their hardball tactics when they held the balance of power in Westminster.

Get out and vote and vote right down the list.

johnnycool

Quote from: LeoMc on May 05, 2022, 08:03:42 AM

Whats this Red

What's that about?

1. They can't have her Maj making a speech containing a threat to break international law.
2. A well timed kick in the balls to the DUP for their hardball tactics when they held the balance of power in Westminster.

Lewis got an unchallenged run on Peston to say that the unionist community don't support the protocol, I'd challenge that as the unionist community or indeed the nationalist community have never been asked and whatever opinion polls on the matter suggest the ordinary unionist voter isn't overly perturbed by it, more interested in more day to day events.

Can't be having political unionism having a veto over international law!

keep her low this half

Quote from: LeoMc on May 05, 2022, 08:03:42 AM

Whats this Red

What's that about?

Vote early, vote often and vote right down the list!
Hammer the DUP into the ground.