6 County Assembly Elections - 5th May 2022

Started by Snapchap, February 23, 2022, 10:18:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

marty34

My bet is there could be another election later on in the year.

smelmoth

Quote from: marty34 on May 04, 2022, 02:09:32 PM
Quote from: Rois on May 04, 2022, 12:23:17 PM
Quote from: trailer on May 04, 2022, 10:14:02 AM

This isn't a council election.
I get that for now they can say we're ambivalent to the Union or UI. But at some point they need to pick because what we need to be doing is preparing for a UI in the next 10 years. That means decisions on health and infrastructure and Education etc will need to orientate towards Dublin and not London. So for now to a point, yes they can stay "neutral" if supporting the status quo is neutral. But long term they need to pick a horse.
I agree with this. Preparation is required for a future border poll, and I'm not going to vote for a party that won't engage with the preparations. I said this to the candidate who called to my door (Eoin Tennyson in Upper Bann) - he'll get a third or fourth pref but not a first.

Exactly, I said this a few weeks ago.

Alliance can't keep going on playing a defender and an attacker - it must pick one and go with it.

Can you set out the steps your preferred candidate has taken to persuade the people of NI and RoI to vote for a UI?

weareros

Things would love to see:

Sinn Féin comfortably emerge as largest party
Alliance beat DUP into second (although when push comes to shove some of those TUV percentage points in polling will go back to DUP)
SDLP move up a few points on Eastwood winning both debates
The Nationalist vote exceeds the Unionist vote (as Irish News poll suggests it will)
The pro-Protocol vote comfortably beats the anti-Protocol vote and puts ERG, Frost, Boris, Rees Mogg, Hoey, Habib, Allister, Bryson, Donaldson, Merv, looney American preacher back in their box, if that is even possible.
As above pro-EU parties best pro-Brexit
Alliance transfers will be worth scrutinizing too - polls are suggesting those are skewing heavily nationalist/green. Voter base now only about 20% Unionist DNA.

All in all, will be an interesting weekend as results come through. Good luck to our fellow Gaels no matter what party you support.

armaghniac

Quote from: weareros on May 04, 2022, 02:20:34 PM
Things would love to see:

Sinn Féin comfortably emerge as largest party

likely

Quote from: wearerosAlliance beat DUP into second (although when push comes to shove some of those TUV percentage points in polling will go back to DUP)

not very likely

Quote from: wearerosSDLP move up a few points on Eastwood winning both debates

not very likely.

Quote from: wearerosThe Nationalist vote exceeds the Unionist vote (as Irish News poll suggests it will)

Not likely. Unionism will have a small majority over nationalism, but for the last time.

Quote from: wearerosThe pro-Protocol vote comfortably beats the anti-Protocol vote and puts ERG, Frost, Boris, Rees Mogg, Hoey, Habib, Allister, Bryson, Donaldson, Merv, looney American preacher back in their box, if that is even possible.
As above pro-EU parties best pro-Brexit

Pro protocol vote will be up, not that you will know that listening to Frost et al. or the Daily Mail.

Quote from: wearerosAlliance transfers will be worth scrutinizing too - polls are suggesting those are skewing heavily nationalist/green. Voter base now only about 20% Unionist DNA.

they will be on green side, to be sure
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Sportacus

I'd like someone to publish what the A-Z of a United Ireland would look like. The economic case, funding, EU support, case studies of similar sized economies, provision/funding of public services, dealing with identity and how Unionists would be part of it and respected, anthem/flag/identity, the parliamentary arrangements, constitution  etc etc.

It needs to be published in black and white so it can be debated and improved.  I don't mean a conference here and there for Republicans, I mean a proper piece of work laid out for all to see nationally and internationally.

balladmaker

Quote from: Sportacus on May 04, 2022, 02:58:05 PM
I'd like someone to publish what the A-Z of a United Ireland would look like. The economic case, funding, EU support, case studies of similar sized economies, provision/funding of public services, dealing with identity and how Unionists would be part of it and respected, anthem/flag/identity, the parliamentary arrangements, constitution  etc etc.

It needs to be published in black and white so it can be debated and improved.  I don't mean a conference here and there for Republicans, I mean a proper piece of work laid out for all to see nationally and internationally.

Take a first stab at it there and we'll all weigh in afterwards  :)

Sportacus

Quote from: balladmaker on May 04, 2022, 03:01:42 PM
Quote from: Sportacus on May 04, 2022, 02:58:05 PM

Take a first stab at it there and we'll all weigh in afterwards  :)
How do these Go Fund Me pages work!

Milltown Row2

The crap yesterday in that debate about the health service was nauseating!! Why not copy a country that does it well and implement (as best you can with the budget you have available) the damn thing!!

Not one of them has a fecking clue in how to run a bath never mind the shit show that is the NHS...

If people want a proper NHS they'll have to pay for it with raised taxes.. Its a small place, how da f**k does it take so long for the basics?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Saffrongael

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 04, 2022, 03:44:42 PM
The crap yesterday in that debate about the health service was nauseating!! Why not copy a country that does it well and implement (as best you can with the budget you have available) the damn thing!!

Not one of them has a fecking clue in how to run a bath never mind the shit show that is the NHS...

If people want a proper NHS they'll have to pay for it with raised taxes.. Its a small place, how da f**k does it take so long for the basics?

Health outcomes, waiting lists etc are much worse here than the rest of the UK so it can't all be funding
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

93-DY-SAM

Quote from: Saffrongael on May 04, 2022, 03:46:15 PM

Health outcomes, waiting lists etc are much worse here than the rest of the UK so it can't all be funding

There is a fairly simple root cause which is staffing issues. Other regions have similar issues but it is much worse here. Who in their right mind would want to work in the NHS in the North. Our doctors and nurses who train else outside the six counties have little to attract them back esp when you hear the shit show that went on during that debate last night and the night before.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Saffrongael on May 04, 2022, 03:46:15 PM

No thats why they need to copy a similar size population and ask them how are they getting it right? If it is funding then we'll have to stump up what is required. if its poor management of funds then they need to remove the balloons that are looking after it.. Someone dying on a street in Newry waiting on a ambulance is wrong, someone dying on a bed in a waiting hall in the hospital is wrong
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Eire90

Quote from: marty34 on May 04, 2022, 02:13:22 PM
My bet is there could be another election later on in the year.

and the same people will get voted in again

Eire90

if a united ireland is voted for or near id expect loyalsits doing attacks inside the republic to make the south think twice if voting for it  it

Eire90

tho it could have the opposite effect of  people saying we are not giving into terrorism

Eire90

Does multi seat stv voting  system make it only exciting about whos going to take the last one or two seats