6 County Assembly Elections - 5th May 2022

Started by Snapchap, February 23, 2022, 10:18:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LeoMc

Quote from: johnnycool on May 04, 2022, 09:26:44 AM
Quote from: trailer on May 04, 2022, 09:06:48 AM
Eastwood definitely the best performer. Skewed Jeffrey at every chance. Thought Michelle was good as well. Assured and has definitely been for coaching around her delivery. Slower and assured.
Doug doesn't perform well in these formal setups. He's the bloke next door. Looks like he put a suit on for the niece's wedding.
Jeffrey sucked up the airtime quite cleverly but was all over the shop. Unionist voters surely have to see that?
Naomi talks sense but sitting on the fence in regards to a UI isn't a tenable position in the long term. She's also got into an awful size.

I think it is for the Alliance.

If and when a border poll is in place, they just need to sit back and say they'll accept the will of the majority and work within any structure that's decided on.

No need to alienate any side of your voting base and then have a clean slate post border poll.
Not every election is a border poll.
These are council elections. It is about how much rates you pay, what facilities are available and maybe what language your street signs are in. Councils can't declare a UDI and secede from the Union.

trailer

Quote from: LeoMc on May 04, 2022, 09:48:52 AM
Eastwood definitely the best performer. Skewed Jeffrey at every chance. Thought Michelle was good as well. Assured and has definitely been for coaching around her delivery. Slower and assured.
Doug doesn't perform well in these formal setups. He's the bloke next door. Looks like he put a suit on for the niece's wedding.
Jeffrey sucked up the airtime quite cleverly but was all over the shop. Unionist voters surely have to see that?
Naomi talks sense but sitting on the fence in regards to a UI isn't a tenable position in the long term. She's also got into an awful size.

If and when a border poll is in place, they just need to sit back and say they'll accept the will of the majority and work within any structure that's decided on.

No need to alienate any side of your voting base and then have a clean slate post border poll.
These are council elections. It is about how much rates you pay, what facilities are available and maybe what language your street signs are in. Councils can't declare a UDI and secede from the Union.

This isn't a council election.
I get that for now they can say we're ambivalent to the Union or UI. But at some point they need to pick because what we need to be doing is preparing for a UI in the next 10 years. That means decisions on health and infrastructure and Education etc will need to orientate towards Dublin and not London. So for now to a point, yes they can stay "neutral" if supporting the status quo is neutral. But long term they need to pick a horse.

Snapchap

Quote from: Rossfan on May 04, 2022, 09:47:08 AM

100%

Yiz must be joking. A border poll, when it happens, will be the most seismic political event of our lifetimes. Nobody will be able to escape partaking in the debate once the referendum is called - least of all a political party. I don't think it's credible to think that a party will willingly sideline itself from involvement in the hottest political event in it's existence. If it is foolish enough to try sitting on the fence then it will be lambasted from every side, not just from one. In Britain, Labour tried to ride two horses at once with the Brexit referendum and made an embarrassment of themselves. For now, Alliance can sit on the fence today and insist that they are not concerned with hypothetical constitutional arrangements when the health/cost of living crises etc are what people want dealt with; which is well and good, but once a border poll is called then that excuse goes out the window. A referendum campaign when it happens, will be all people will be talking about and in such a climate, Alliance will be unable to pretend otherwise. Naomi Long already stated before at Féile and Phobail that in the event of a border poll, the party will campaign. She just wouldn't be drawn on what side they will campaign on.

EDIT

She's also said on twitter a number of times, that Alliance will take a side in the event of a referendum:
https://twitter.com/naomi_long/status/1055517213879427077
https://twitter.com/naomi_long/status/1055520603610980357
https://twitter.com/naomi_long/status/1205491354232610816
https://twitter.com/naomi_long/status/1198948527264677897
https://twitter.com/naomi_long/status/1129417742711427074

Milltown Row2

Jesus that was a pile of shite last night...It pains me to say it but don't be surprised that the DUP do better than expected.

The unionist voter will be at a crossroads at the ballot box tomorrow and will be deciding on the day, that's how much I think they are clueless.

Be interesting at my voting station to see how these TUV and DUP ones operate
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Rossfan

Alliance  comprises of unionists and nationalists and neither so presumably they will have to have a major party conference  or vote of the entire membership to decide on a position when/if S of S calls the referendum/plebiscite.
1 segment of their membership will likely decamp if they plump for yes or no.
Meanwhile back to the present.....
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

pbat

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 04, 2022, 10:28:14 AM
Jesus that was a pile of shite last night...It pains me to say it but don't be surprised that the DUP do better than expected.

The unionist voter will be at a crossroads at the ballot box tomorrow and will be deciding on the day, that's how much I think they are clueless.

I think your right Milltown, as Sam Mc Bride said the other morning a lot of unionists hate the DUP but hate SF more and will hold their noses and vote of wee Jeff.

smelmoth

Quote from: Snapchap on May 04, 2022, 10:19:08 AM
Quote from: Rossfan on May 04, 2022, 09:47:08 AM

100%

Yiz must be joking. A border poll, when it happens, will be the most seismic political event of our lifetimes. Nobody will be able to escape partaking in the debate once the referendum is called - least of all a political party. I don't think it's credible to think that a party will willingly sideline itself from involvement in the hottest political event in it's existence. If it is foolish enough to try sitting on the fence then it will be lambasted from every side, not just from one. In Britain, Labour tried to ride two horses at once with the Brexit referendum and made an embarrassment of themselves. For now, Alliance can sit on the fence today and insist that they are not concerned with hypothetical constitutional arrangements when the health/cost of living crises etc are what people want dealt with; which is well and good, but once a border poll is called then that excuse goes out the window. A referendum campaign when it happens, will be all people will be talking about and in such a climate, Alliance will be unable to pretend otherwise. Naomi Long already stated before at Féile and Phobail that in the event of a border poll, the party will campaign. She just wouldn't be drawn on what side they will campaign on.

EDIT

She's also said on twitter a number of times, that Alliance will take a side in the event of a referendum:
https://twitter.com/naomi_long/status/1055517213879427077
https://twitter.com/naomi_long/status/1055520603610980357
https://twitter.com/naomi_long/status/1205491354232610816
https://twitter.com/naomi_long/status/1198948527264677897
https://twitter.com/naomi_long/status/1129417742711427074

The important thing to remember is that if the referendum ever happens it will be stocked to the gills with people who haven't weighed it up at all. They will have decided many years before. There will be a decent spread of these idiots across both sides of the campaign.

Others will adopt an attitude something like this:
A) dispassionately weigh up the options at the time.
B) make a decision based upon the up to date analysis.
C) get on with doing their best for this place in the meantime.
D) recognise that should a UI be voted into existence that NI and power sharing will still be here and portraying everything about being firstly and maybe lastly about the constitutional question is to waste the potential of the place when we are all still have to live along side each other and share power the other side of such a referendum.

There are of course people who will bear the constitutional question first when considering who is going to make decisions about schools, swimming pools, roads, bus fares, health etc etc. But we shouldn't beat ourselves about that as there are stupid people everywhere.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: pbat on May 04, 2022, 11:14:37 AM

I think your right Milltown, as Sam Mc Bride said the other morning a lot of unionists hate the DUP but hate SF more and will hold their noses and vote of wee Jeff.

A lot of nationalists arent fussed on SF but will vote them to get at DUP

LeoMc

Quote from: trailer on May 04, 2022, 10:14:02 AM
Quote from: LeoMc on May 04, 2022, 09:48:52 AM

This isn't a council election.
I get that for now they can say we're ambivalent to the Union or UI. But at some point they need to pick because what we need to be doing is preparing for a UI in the next 10 years. That means decisions on health and infrastructure and Education etc will need to orientate towards Dublin and not London. So for now to a point, yes they can stay "neutral" if supporting the status quo is neutral. But long term they need to pick a horse.
It is a glorified town council that could not be trusted to do more than empty the bins.
Alliance can pick a horse if and when the time comes but for now it is about making this place workable, whatever the potential future constitutional arrangements.
They can pick a side based on the arguments for and against, when the arguments are made.

RedHand88

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on May 04, 2022, 11:39:36 AM

This myth that voting SF/DUP to "keep the other out" needs banished once and for all. The executive/assembly needs cross community support to operate. SF need the DUP for stormont to function.

Armagh18

Quote from: RedHand88 on May 04, 2022, 11:56:19 AM

This myth that voting SF/DUP to "keep the other out" needs banished once and for all. The executive/assembly needs cross community support to operate. SF need the DUP for stormont to function.
It is not a myth and you need only look at the DUP's mantra and probably main selling point at this stage- they are the only party who can stop a SF first minister. A SF first minister would be seismic. I think the likes of Allister and Bryson would combust.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Not to keep each other out, to be king ding. We all know they are splitting the money between them at community level for years-corruption

balladmaker

Quote from: Armagh18 on May 04, 2022, 12:03:42 PM

It is not a myth and you need only look at the DUP's mantra and probably main selling point at this stage- they are the only party who can stop a SF first minister. A SF first minister would be seismic. I think the likes of Allister and Bryson would combust.

Can't wait!

RedHand88

Quote from: Armagh18 on May 04, 2022, 12:03:42 PM

It absolutely is a myth! SF could win 80 seats and the DUP 5 and they still couldn't form an assembly or an executive without Unionism nominating a deputy.

imtommygunn

His latest tweet is great.

Get out on Friday and vote  ;D