6 County Assembly Elections - 5th May 2022

Started by Snapchap, February 23, 2022, 10:18:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sensethetone

Quote from: johnnycool on April 07, 2022, 11:40:43 AM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on April 07, 2022, 11:13:40 AM
I think we should just go for a 30 county republic lol

How dare you leave Derry and Antrim within the UK.

Them and Rockall..

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

imtommygunn

Quote from: marty34 on April 07, 2022, 10:35:13 AM
Quote from: Snapchap on April 07, 2022, 10:23:39 AM
Quote from: Snapchap on March 29, 2022, 11:12:54 AM
In fairness, I don't think it's a case that the two nationalist parties are constantly knocking each other - it's more a case that the SDLP are obsessive about attacking SF. SF rarely bother engaging in attacks on the SDLP. Brian Feeney recently wrote a very good column in the Irish News about this:

"It seems obligatory for SDLP speakers to attack Sinn Féin rather than promoting their own position on any matter. It's obsessive, it's repetitive, it's tedious, it's been constant for years. Sometimes its just silly, such as trying to say Sinn Féin's behaviour is the cause of the DUP threatening to pull down the executive.
Enoch Powell said never to mention political opponents in speeches because it only give them a chance to excercise their right of reply. You'll notice Sinn Féin seldom or never mentions the SDLP. They concentrate their assaults on their political enemy the DUP even though it's the SDLP that's their political antagonist for votes."

And he is right. Only last week, the Irish News was reporting on the SDLP annual conference over a two page spread. Each headline was about a speaker trying to link SF to the DUP's collapsing of the executive. You'd thing that surely SOMEONE in that party should be savy enough to know that absolutely nobody is stupid enough to fall for that and that it won't refelect well on them to be trying to take people for fools? Yet as Brian Feeney went on to say in his article:

"For some reason no-one in the SDLP seems to have realised that persistently attacking Sinn Féin doesn't work. They've been hammering away now through four leaders since John Hume. For a while they tried calling the DUP & Sinn Féin 'the problem parties'. No good. The voters didn't agree and continued to vote in increasing numbers for both.
Is relentlessly attacking Sinn Féin a strategy or has it long since become merely a reflex reaction?"

As if to prove Brian Feeney's point:

Yesterday, Colum Eastwood accompanied Nicola Mallon as she handed in her papers to the electoral office and he gave an interview to the Irish News. The first TEN PARAGRAPHS of the interview are attacks on SF.

Meanwhile, under his watch, the SDLP is polling at it's lowest ever in successive polls. One day the penny will drop with him. Surely. It's bound to.

There's just a certain arrogance to him I think.

Key issue for me was the attending the 'birthday party' in Armagh - celebrating the failed statelet. I think that annoyed a lot of middle of road nationalists.

He doesn't come across well at all. If sdlp really want to progress they need hanna, Mallon or o'toole to be in charge.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: johnnycool on April 07, 2022, 11:40:43 AM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on April 07, 2022, 11:13:40 AM
I think we should just go for a 30 county republic lol

How dare you leave Derry and Antrim within the UK.

antrim and yousans although id feel bad for yous the fight would go on. Border campaign 2023-29

trailer

SF have a real bee in their bonnet about SDLP "attacking" them, yet they do the exact same to FF and FG on an almost daily basis in the South. Another example of their hypocrisy.

red hander

Quote from: trailer on April 07, 2022, 03:17:42 PM
SF have a real bee in their bonnet about SDLP "attacking" them, yet they do the exact same to FF and FG on an almost daily basis in the South. Another example of their hypocrisy.

Aye, and FF and the Blueshirts don't attack Shinners on an almost daily basis in the South. Another example of your hypocrisy. Met any piemen going to the fair recently?

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Big cry a babies

Sportacus

Colm telling BBC The View that Nichola Mallon "made Casement happen".  Ok?

Snapchap

1. On your first part: SF are climbing in the polls, while the SDLP are slumping. I don't think it's a case of a bee in the bonnett. I think it's more a case of sheer bewilderment that the penny hasn't dropped with the SDLP that nationalists want their representatives to challenge the DUP, not other nationalists. Brian Feeney pointed out as much - noting that SF rarely as much as mention the SDLP. They focus their attacks on the DUP.

2. On your point re the south, what sort of halfwitted parallel are you trying to draw? Of course they focus their attacks on FF/FG in the south. What do you expect them to do? Not challenge any other parties? They are their direct political opponents, and closest electoral challengers in the south, in the same way as the DUP are their direct political opponents and closest electoral challengers in the north.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: Sportacus on April 07, 2022, 10:54:30 PM

Should never be going ahead

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: Snapchap on April 08, 2022, 10:48:28 AM

1. On your first part: SF are climbing in the polls, while the SDLP are slumping. I don't think it's a case of a bee in the bonnett. I think it's more a case of sheer bewilderment that the penny hasn't dropped with the SDLP that nationalists want their representatives to challenge the DUP, not other nationalists. Brian Feeney pointed out as much - noting that SF rarely as much as mention the SDLP. They focus their attacks on the DUP.

2. On your point re the south, what sort of halfwitted parallel are you trying to draw? Of course they focus their attacks on FF/FG in the south. What do you expect them to do? Not challenge any other parties? They are their direct political opponents, and closest electoral challengers in the south, in the same way as the DUP are their direct political opponents and closest electoral challengers in the north.

And the winner of this years "Tieing myself up in knots" trophy goes for the second year running to Snapchat.

marty34

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on April 08, 2022, 11:48:41 AM

And the winner of this years "Tieing myself up in knots" trophy goes for the second year running to Snapchat.

From the lad who says Aontú are not right wing!!!

nrico2006

I dont care about my representatives challenging the DUP, I want my representatives to fix the everyday issues that we all face.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Kidder81

Quote from: nrico2006 on April 08, 2022, 12:36:42 PM

I dont care about my representatives challenging the DUP, I want my representatives to fix the everyday issues that we all face.

Both main parties prefer a "themmuns" approach, neither are capable of dealing with big issues like health, education or cost of living or making tough decisions. If it's not dishing out money from an endless pot they aren't interested. Why do you think neither took the health portfolio after the last elections ?

marty34

Quote from: Sportacus on April 07, 2022, 10:54:30 PM

I'm surprised Colum hasn't mentioned he stopped Brexit.

His advisers need to tell him to tone it down a bit. Not a good look all the time.

I wonder does he want to get to the assembly instead of being a stooge in London, away from all the 'action'.