6 County Assembly Elections - 5th May 2022

Started by Snapchap, February 23, 2022, 10:18:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

The same with every incumbent in every election ever tbh. Vote for us for real change. Umm if you were doing your job right why would we need this change.

Armagh18

Quote from: Saffrongael on April 06, 2022, 03:18:34 PM
Now this isn't a dig at Sinn Fein, I'm genuinely curious as to why they are framing this election as a chance for "real change", what will change ? They have been in power sharing since forever. I could understand it if it was another party that could become a power sharing partner but Sinn Fein are the establishment whether they like it or not.

So what will change ?
In fairness getting a SF First Minister would be huge. In terms of day to day? I think things are going to get a whole lot worse before they get better regardless of who is in charge.

Snapchap

Now this isn't a dig at Sinn Fein, I'm genuinely curious as to why they are framing this election as a chance for "real change", what will change ? They have been in power sharing since forever. I could understand it if it was another party that could become a power sharing partner but Sinn Fein are the establishment whether they like it or not.

So what will change ?

I'd imagine it's just a slogan that's been focus grouped to death by political parties the world over and found to be effective.

The alternative view is that it's a recognition of the fact that this could be the first election in the history of the state where Stormont could* be led by a party which isn't unionist. That's a seismic change in and of itself, symbolically if nothing else.

*That's if the DUP go back into the assembly with a SF First Minister - something I seriously doubt will happen.

Armagh18

Quote from: Snapchap on April 06, 2022, 03:31:38 PM

So what will change ?

I'd imagine it's just a slogan that's been focus grouped to death by political parties the world over and found to be effective.

The alternative view is that it's a recognition of the fact that this could be the first election in the history of the state where Stormont could* be led by a party which isn't unionist. That's a seismic change in and of itself, symbolically if nothing else.

*That's if the DUP go back into the assembly with a SF First Minister - something I seriously doubt will happen.
If that happens then hopefully Alliance are able to go in as the second largest party. Leave those other bitter bastards on the sidelines where they belong. Either that or border poll time.

trueblue1234

Quote from: Armagh18 on April 06, 2022, 03:28:55 PM

So what will change ?
In fairness getting a SF First Minister would be huge. In terms of day to day? I think things are going to get a whole lot worse before they get better regardless of who is in charge.

It's the litmus test for Democratic Unionists. Will they accept a Nationalist FM? Or will they contrive a reason not to sit? It's a fairly significant stage for NI. And tbh power sharing depends upon it.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

trailer

Quote from: Armagh18 on April 06, 2022, 03:33:22 PM
Quote from: Snapchap on April 06, 2022, 03:31:38 PM

So what will change ?

If that happens then hopefully Alliance are able to go in as the second largest party. Leave those other bitter bastards on the sidelines where they belong. Either that or border poll time.

We won't win a border poll. It's utterly pointless calling for one.

imtommygunn

Quote from: trueblue1234 on April 06, 2022, 03:34:11 PM

So what will change ?

It's the litmus test for Democratic Unionists. Will they accept a Nationalist FM? Or will they contrive a reason not to sit? It's a fairly significant stage for NI. And tbh power sharing depends upon it.

I would kind of agree with this. It would illustrate to nationalists that power sharing was only ever power sharing when the nationalists were second in command aka  it was never really power sharing. On the other hand their voters etc would not want a first in command sf person even if first minister and deputy first minister are really the same.

The reality is we know the dup or the TUV really don't want to power share but how much do they want the gravy train. Though the question is are they still on the gravy train if they don't go into power. I would say they are

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: trailer on April 06, 2022, 03:23:37 PM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on April 06, 2022, 02:53:55 PM
Quote from: trailer on April 06, 2022, 02:28:10 PM
They are a republican conservative party. Which makes them right wing.

No it doesnt lol. Jesus some uneducated gulpans  on here

So are they socially liberal? Are they on the Left? Educate me. How do they feel about Gay marriage and same sex couples? (they oppose it)
Either way, they're a one issue party. They struggle to attract any sort of talent. A lot of anti vax conspiracy theorists and general loonies.

So socially conservative and economically left leaning makes them right winged, they had one anti vax loony who  is thankfully gone-every party has had its loonies, paedar toibĂ­n is hardly talent-less, I cant find anything in their policy about gay marriage(if it is there, I will challenge locally), im a massive advocate for it, Im hoping to attend a close relatives wedding soon(gay marriage). Im going to guess that I am a bigger supporter of gay marriage than most on here and have more experience of it.

Eire90

so the dup can get away with  being anti democratic should there not be severe consequences

johnnycool

Quote from: imtommygunn on April 06, 2022, 03:48:12 PM
Quote from: trueblue1234 on April 06, 2022, 03:34:11 PM

So what will change ?

I would kind of agree with this. It would illustrate to nationalists that power sharing was only ever power sharing when the nationalists were second in command aka  it was never really power sharing. On the other hand their voters etc would not want a first in command sf person even if first minister and deputy first minister are really the same.

The reality is we know the dup or the TUV really don't want to power share but how much do they want the gravy train. Though the question is are they still on the gravy train if they don't go into power. I would say they are

SF having the FM role is purely symbolic but a body blow to the hardline unionists who've been raised on elitism for decades and will have to come to terms with the new reality that this place is now in limbo.

As for the DUP, in all honesty the Protocol is a red herring as Jeffrey is saying they won't go into the executive if it's still in place, he knows fine rightly it's here to stay in some form and all along they knew they were going to lose the biggest party to SF and that's why he's using the Protocol as a reason for not forming an executive with SF.

Can't see the Alliance overtaking them as the second biggest party, can anyone else see that happening?

pbat

I feel there will be a big push after the election to redefine the roles to joint first ministers. As I told the two SF canvassers with me last night that is they agree to this don't ever knock my door again. Maybe petty of me but it was ok to have deputy first minister to put us pesky taigs in our place.

imtommygunn

No way will alliance be second. I would agree on the pesky taigs thing. Croppy lie down attitude always finds it's way to surface.

trueblue1234

Quote from: pbat on April 06, 2022, 04:46:47 PM
I feel there will be a big push after the election to redefine the roles to joint first ministers. As I told the two SF canvassers with me last night that is they agree to this don't ever knock my door again. Maybe petty of me but it was ok to have deputy first minister to put us pesky taigs in our place.

I'm split over this tbh. I understand completely where your coming from but it gives SF and opportunity to be the bigger person. Plus for power sharing, it should have been joint posts (in name) from the get go.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

pbat

I agree it should have always been joint FM, but it wasn't so I wouldn't cede it now to suit Jeff.

Saffrongael

Quote from: pbat on April 06, 2022, 04:46:47 PM

Did you ask them or nay of the parties about cost of living pressures & how working people are going to get help, pressures on the health system and how they will go about resolving them ?
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come