6 County Assembly Elections - 5th May 2022

Started by Snapchap, February 23, 2022, 10:18:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

marty34

Quote from: general_lee on April 06, 2022, 10:41:58 AM
Quote from: Armagh18 on April 06, 2022, 10:33:25 AM
Quote from: general_lee on April 06, 2022, 10:29:04 AM
Any of the men on here had an abortion before? If you don't like it so much, maybe.. don't have one?
Not something that I really care about one way or the other or that I've ever given much thought to but that's a ridiculous take
Not really. The point being people most opposed to abortion are all men and are from or are supporters of male-dominated right-wing parties like Aontú, TUV, DUP etc.

Don't mention to some posters that Aontù are right wing.

It was me who brought them up in the discussion. They are a one topic party and in the south, they're consistently on 2% in the opinion polls.

Move back on election matters now. Sorry for the sidetracking!

I see the DUP had their election campaign start in a cinema. It was very strange.

O'Neill keeping everything steady in her speeches etc. not wanting to drop the ball with a clanger.

Apart from C. Sugden, any other independents in with a good chance?

Rossfan

One issue parties usually fade away ...remember "Renua" :D
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

thebigfella

Quote from: RedHand88 on April 06, 2022, 11:29:03 AM
Quote from: general_lee on April 06, 2022, 10:57:54 AM
Quote from: Armagh18 on April 06, 2022, 10:50:00 AM
Any of the men on here had an abortion before? If you don't like it so much, maybe.. don't have one?
Not something that I really care about one way or the other or that I've ever given much thought to but that's a ridiculous take
Not really. The point being people most opposed to abortion are all men and are from or are supporters of male-dominated right-wing parties like Aontú, TUV, DUP etc.
A lot of  people see abortion as taking a human life. Rightly or wrongly, thats their view. So you may as well be saying "don't like murder? Don't kill anyone then."

Anyway, completely off track and irrelevant to this thread.
Again, you miss the point. It's about body autonomy. You as a man can't get an abortion, even if you wanted to. Yet the pro-lifers are telling women they shouldn't have that choice.

Which body are we talking about? The mothers or the baby's? Because by every scientific definition the baby is a human. You may call it "tissue" or whatever but you cannot deny it is human.

I don't care if a woman wants to do something with her body, so long as it doesn't harm anyone else its none of anybodys business.
I do have an issue when you end the life of another person though. I can understand there are a tiny minority of cases where this is unavoidable when something goes wrong, but the vast vast vasssst majority of abortions involve healthy mother/healthy baby so I think any attempt to use these extreme cases to justify widespread abortions is disingenuous.

Also don't have much time for the argument that men have no opinion by virtue of the fact that they are men. Does the message need to come from a pro-life female for it to be a valid point of view? What difference does it make who says it?

If we are bring science into it, then it's not a baby.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: marty34 on April 06, 2022, 11:32:19 AM

It was me who brought them up in the discussion. They are a one topic party and in the south, they're consistently on 2% in the opinion polls.

I see the DUP had their election campaign start in a cinema. It was very strange.

O'Neill keeping everything steady in her speeches etc. not wanting to drop the ball with a clanger.

Emma de Souza in FST?
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

marty34

Quote from: Farrandeelin on April 06, 2022, 12:08:48 PM

Emma de Souza in FST?

Interesting one alright. She did great work.  Read an article  about her locating to Fermanagh.  Seems to love it there.

Surprised a politicial party didn't approach her up as she always seems interested in the political side of things.

Be hard to see her making an impact though in such a short space of time. Maybe a council seat would be the way to go first but I suppose any PR this time round is always a help building her profile.

I think Alex Easton is in Strangford - could be wrong. He left the DUP I think. Going as an independent.

general_lee

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on April 06, 2022, 11:25:07 AM
WT actual feck. Sure Aontú have at least 40% female candidates. Gone just devalve for a wee minute
So that would make them a male-dominated right wing party then?

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: general_lee on April 06, 2022, 01:10:08 PM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on April 06, 2022, 11:25:07 AM
WT actual feck. Sure Aontú have at least 40% female candidates. Gone just devalve for a wee minute
So that would make them a male-dominated right wing party then?

All men with right wing policies I imagine, but im no expert lol

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

naw dont, especially if you cant back it up

trailer

They are a republican conservative party. Which makes them right wing.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: trailer on April 06, 2022, 02:28:10 PM

No it doesnt lol. Jesus some uneducated gulpans  on here

Eire90

They will probably be  6 weeks of talking again after election and nothing will happen.

Eire90

the dup are part of the global right wing alliance.

Snapchap

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on April 06, 2022, 02:53:55 PM

*Gulpins

Saffrongael

Now this isn't a dig at Sinn Fein, I'm genuinely curious as to why they are framing this election as a chance for "real change", what will change ? They have been in power sharing since forever. I could understand it if it was another party that could become a power sharing partner but Sinn Fein are the establishment whether they like it or not.

So what will change ?
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

trailer

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on April 06, 2022, 02:53:55 PM

So are they socially liberal? Are they on the Left? Educate me. How do they feel about Gay marriage and same sex couples? (they oppose it)
Either way, they're a one issue party. They struggle to attract any sort of talent. A lot of anti vax conspiracy theorists and general loonies.