Sectarian politics. Stupid eejits voting for these gobshites
Do you not support Aontu?

Average Score

Quote from: Snapchap on April 05, 2022, 09:29:18 AM
Quote from: Average Score on April 04, 2022, 10:33:49 PM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on April 04, 2022, 07:04:49 PM

+1 but will NEVER change.

If someone gives first preference to the party they feel best represents his/her views on achieving an end to partition, does that make him/her sectarian?

Ditto for someone who wants to vote for the party that they believe best represents/is best placed to maintain union with Britain, does that make them sectarian?

Or, perish the thought, could it actually be entirely legitimate to vote for the party that best represents your views on a massively important political question?

But do they - my son is voting for the first time, he said and I quote - "Take it I just vote Sinn Fein" , I am sure that view is representative within nationalist and unionist areas!

Snapchap

Quote from: Average Score on April 05, 2022, 10:42:48 AM
Quote from: Snapchap on April 05, 2022, 09:29:18 AM
Quote from: Average Score on April 04, 2022, 10:33:49 PM

+1 but will NEVER change.

If someone gives first preference to the party they feel best represents his/her views on achieving an end to partition, does that make him/her sectarian?

Ditto for someone who wants to vote for the party that they believe best represents/is best placed to maintain union with Britain, does that make them sectarian?

Or, perish the thought, could it actually be entirely legitimate to vote for the party that best represents your views on a massively important political question?

But do they - my son is voting for the first time, he said and I quote - "Take it I just vote Sinn Fein" , I am sure that view is representative within nationalist and unionist areas!

Isn't that just a youth thing? Voting is often traditional within families across the world. Or are you arguing that your son is sectarian?lol

Maybe he knows enough politically to know that he wants a united Ireland and as such assumes that he should be voting SF?

Average Score

In fairness most youth couldn't give a damn, he's more concerned about getting a house in the holylands!

marty34

Quote from: Average Score on April 05, 2022, 10:58:42 AM
In fairness most youth couldn't give a damn, he's more concerned about getting a house in the holylands!

Not sure about that.  It'd be interesting to see what percentage of U20's say, vote?

Average Score

Quote from: marty34 on April 05, 2022, 11:21:48 AM
Quote from: Average Score on April 05, 2022, 10:58:42 AM

Not sure about that.  It'd be interesting to see what percentage of U20's say, vote?

I would say it is very high, I was replying to that statement below, first time voters will vote in numbers but just as snapchat says how their parents vote, there will be no political insight.

Quote from: Snapchap on April 05, 2022, 10:55:20 AM

Maybe he knows enough politically to know that he wants a united Ireland and as such assumes that he should be voting SF?

Rossfan

I see an opinion poll saying only 1 in 3 of ye would vote for re unification!!
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

marty34

Quote from: Armagh18 on April 05, 2022, 10:30:55 AM

How will they do?  The TUV of the green side?

With Toibín, like Jim Allister, they seem to be a one man band. They haven't really progressed and polling very low in the opinion polls recently. 

Big election for them but they're not getting their message across or maybe people not interested in their right wing type politics.

Armagh18

Quote from: marty34 on April 05, 2022, 11:28:38 AM

With Toibín, like Jim Allister, they seem to be a one man band. They haven't really progressed and polling very low in the opinion polls recently. 

Big election for them but they're not getting their message across or maybe people not interested in their right wing type politics.
Don't know an awful pile about them tbh, the issue they were big on (abortion) doesn't really get many headlines these days. Don't think they will do a big pile to be honest.

Snapchap

Quote from: Rossfan on April 05, 2022, 11:28:30 AM
I see an opinion poll saying only 1 in 3 of ye would vote for re unification!!

You forgot to mention that the poll question was how you'd vote if the referendum was held tomorrow. Imagine how many would vote for it with a plan in place, and with every party in the south actively campaigning for a 'yes' result throughout the referendum.

Remove the 'don't knows' from the equation and 40% of the population who do know how they'd vote, would vote for unity tomorrow.

armaghniac

Aontú are not right wing, they favour giving people free money just as much as many more, they are just not woke.
But there is a touch of the one man band about them, I cannot think of another Aontú person other than Tóibín.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

clarshack

RedHand88

Watch this space.

With regards Mid Ulster they got 8% in Carntogher in 2019.
Dan Kerr in Torrent got nearly 17%, costing SF a council seat. He is not Aontú of course but I believe alot of that vote will go to Aontú this time as the pro-life lobby will have nowhere else to go to give SF a bloody nose. These numbers will need to be improved to get a seat but I think they may be closer than what alot of people think.

Haven't looked at other constituencies yet so couldn't comment.

I will say I have been talking to people who voted SF their whole life who are voting Aontú this time.

Armagh18

Quote from: RedHand88 on April 05, 2022, 12:01:36 PM

Watch this space.

Dan Kerr in Torrent got nearly 17%, costing SF a council seat. He is not Aontú of course but I believe alot of that vote will go to Aontú this time as the pro-life lobby will have nowhere else to go to give SF a bloody nose. These numbers will need to be improved to get a seat but I think they may be closer than what alot of people think.

I will say I have been talking to people who voted SF their whole life who are voting Aontú this time.
For what reason? Abortion?

Man Marker

Quote from: RedHand88 on April 05, 2022, 12:01:36 PM

Watch this space.

agreed we will.