6 County Assembly Elections - 5th May 2022

Started by Snapchap, February 23, 2022, 10:18:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Armagh18

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on April 01, 2022, 01:06:46 PM
These people calling for a border poll, if one occurred and we obviously lose, cause no-one on Sinn Fein passed maths it seems. When excately would the 2nd one be? Or are u in the Scotland situation where they gearing to go again if allowed 10yrs after the last, only the situation changed and they lose again. If we won the poll on 2nd attempt, is there another poll down the line after that one to rejoin the UK, if we don't like the pup we been soon and discovered it was all Boris like promises?
What do you propose then? A border poll next year would be very, very close!

Snapchap

These people calling for a border poll, if one occurred and we obviously lose, cause no-one on Sinn Fein passed maths it seems.
That's just a misrepresentation. SF aren't calling for a border poll to happen today. Or tomorrow. They are lobbying for the governments, particularly the southern one, to plan for the eventuality of the an inevitable poll.

When exactly would the 2nd one be? Or are u in the Scotland situation where they gearing to go again if allowed 10yrs after the last, only the situation changed and they lose again. If we won the poll on 2nd attempt, is there another poll down the line after that one to rejoin the UK, if we don't like the pup we been soon and discovered it was all Boris like promises?
The next one will be no less than 7 years after the first. As per the GFA. I don't think it will come to that myself. The Brits wont grant a border poll until they can't credibly deny that the result is a foregone conclusion.

johnnycool

Quote from: Armagh18 on April 01, 2022, 11:04:49 AM
Quote from: trueblue1234 on April 01, 2022, 10:46:13 AM
Quote from: Armagh18 on April 01, 2022, 10:16:56 AM
Quote from: oakleaflad on April 01, 2022, 10:11:02 AM
I know a comparison is to compare Alliance to Labour who sat on the fence too long regarding Brexit, but it may be in Alliance's best interests to sit on the fence and accept the result of a poll. They could lose too many voters one way or another declaring on either side.
They'll have nowhere to hide if a borderpoll does happen, they'll be torn to shreds by both sides if they sit on the fence.

I can't imagine they will get to wait for that. There's a election coming. If you think this won't be a key discussion in the run in to it for Alliance, your crazy. Both SF and DUP will be pushing them on this in the hope they pull back voters. The DUP in particular. They can try and sit on the fence but I think that would certainly lose them voters from the Unionist side who will want to see a commitment to the Union.
They've managed to avoid it so far and I'd say this time they'll dismiss any talk of a border poll fairly easily by saying voters care more about the state of the health service and by the disgustingly high cost of living and play to the narrative of look at the DUP and Shinners arguing over the same Orange vs Green shite, vote for us and we'll solve everything.

Alliance can afford to sit on the fence in relation to a border poll as it's not having any traction either way with its support base. They'll keep pushing the jobs, education, health comes first mantra as that works for them.

If there is indeed a border poll IMO they don't have to commit either way and could sit it out so to speak and hope to gather up the pieces post border poll outcome.

Taylor

Quote from: johnnycool on April 01, 2022, 03:24:18 PM
I know a comparison is to compare Alliance to Labour who sat on the fence too long regarding Brexit, but it may be in Alliance's best interests to sit on the fence and accept the result of a poll. They could lose too many voters one way or another declaring on either side.
They'll have nowhere to hide if a borderpoll does happen, they'll be torn to shreds by both sides if they sit on the fence.

I can't imagine they will get to wait for that. There's a election coming. If you think this won't be a key discussion in the run in to it for Alliance, your crazy. Both SF and DUP will be pushing them on this in the hope they pull back voters. The DUP in particular. They can try and sit on the fence but I think that would certainly lose them voters from the Unionist side who will want to see a commitment to the Union.
They've managed to avoid it so far and I'd say this time they'll dismiss any talk of a border poll fairly easily by saying voters care more about the state of the health service and by the disgustingly high cost of living and play to the narrative of look at the DUP and Shinners arguing over the same Orange vs Green shite, vote for us and we'll solve everything.

Alliance can afford to sit on the fence in relation to a border poll as it's not having any traction either way with its support base. They'll keep pushing the jobs, education, health comes first mantra as that works for them.

If there is indeed a border poll IMO they don't have to commit either way and could sit it out so to speak and hope to gather up the pieces post border poll outcome.

Given the way this place surely that should be the first priority?

johnnycool

Quote from: Taylor on April 01, 2022, 03:50:26 PM
Quote from: johnnycool on April 01, 2022, 03:24:18 PM

Given the way this place surely that should be the first priority?

In any normal society yes, most definitely, but then you've lunatics like the DUP making a fuss over the NI Protocol and pull down the Assembly because they now feel less British than Finchley and hinder said priorities as well as the Orange/Green question is never far away when these politicians are being interviewed by the local media..

seafoid

The Shinners are deluded about a Border Poll, the DUP are deluded about the Protocol and NI meanwhile needs a new economic model and a hurling plan.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Eire90

would a lost border poll mean dissidents become bigger would people say we cant achieve it democratically so we need to go back to force also with conspiracy culture big these days the losing side will accuse the other side of vote fraud we could see a situation where the likes of sammy say electon is rigged to stir up paramilitary forces.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Sectarian politics. Stupid eejits voting for these gobshites

Eire90

They probably wont agree with go into stormont anyway so its a ghost election you could say.

seafoid

Quote from: Eire90 on April 04, 2022, 07:02:53 PM
would a lost border poll mean dissidents become bigger would people say we cant achieve it democratically so we need to go back to force also with conspiracy culture big these days the losing side will accuse the other side of vote fraud we could see a situation where the likes of sammy say electon is rigged to stir up paramilitary forces.
Scotland had a very tight independence poll which was won by the Unionist side in 2014.
There hasn't been a rerun since.

Brexit was won 52-48 and has been a clusterfuck
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Average Score

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on April 04, 2022, 07:04:49 PM

+1 but will NEVER change.

Snapchap

Quote from: seafoid on April 04, 2022, 04:14:16 PM
The Shinners are deluded about a Border Poll,

How so? They're not asking for one tomorrow. They're essentially only asking for the government in the south to plan for the eventuality.

OK maybe it's deluded to expect FF or FG (AKA "The Republican Party" and "The United Ireland Party") to actually do carry out some responsible pre-plqnning ahead of what is an inevitable border poll; but it's only a matter of time until SF are in government and saud planning can begin.

Snapchap

Quote from: Average Score on April 04, 2022, 10:33:49 PM

If someone gives first preference to the party they feel best represents his/her views on achieving an end to partition, does that make him/her sectarian?

Ditto for someone who wants to vote for the party that they believe best represents/is best placed to maintain union with Britain, does that make them sectarian?

Or, perish the thought, could it actually be entirely legitimate to vote for the party that best represents your views on a massively important political question?

marty34

Quote from: Snapchap on April 05, 2022, 09:29:18 AM
Quote from: Average Score on April 04, 2022, 10:33:49 PM

If someone gives first preference to the party they feel best represents his/her views on achieving an end to partition, does that make him/her sectarian?

Ditto for someone who wants to vote for the party that they believe best represents/is best placed to maintain union with Britain, does that make them sectarian?

Or, perish the thought, could it actually be entirely legitimate to vote for the party that best represents your views on a massively important political question?

Yeah, these people who moan about politicians: they should stand themselves.

Instead of moaning about it or saying nobody represents them.

I think there's never been as much choice in terms of different political parties and independents etc.

And yet people still complain.  I'd say the the people who moan the most are usually the people who don't vote.

RedHand88

Being a Unionist/ Nationalist does not make you sectarian.

Alliance voters need to realise this.