6 County Assembly Elections - 5th May 2022

Started by Snapchap, February 23, 2022, 10:18:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Feckitt

Quote from: Harold Disgracey on March 29, 2022, 02:54:09 PM
Quote from: Feckitt on March 29, 2022, 02:34:34 PM
Quote from: Harold Disgracey on March 29, 2022, 02:17:31 PM
I'm in Newry & Armagh and have never heard of Gavin Malone. Where is he based? I still go for 3 shinners, one stoop and one DUP, if Willie Irwin is running.
He's a very popular Independent Councillor from Newry. He's Newrier than a Friar Tucks boorger and a Timoneys ice cream.
I'd say he will get a lot of votes round Newry and if he can stay ahead of the low profile Liz Kimmins SF he could benefit from Alliance party transfers.  Maybe a long shot but not impossible

Thought that might be the case. He'll need to pick up a lot of the Newry vote to stay in the race as I can't see him picking up too many votes in the Armagh/Keady areas.

I think the presence of Malone is a threat to the 3rd SF seat in more ways than one.  If he doesn't make it, his transfers could help Jackie Coade Alliance slip through.  Again a long shot but not impossible and you would have to imagine that Liz Kimmins SF would be the one in danger of losing out.  However if I was going to the bookies I would say 3 SF, 1 SDLP, 1 DUP.  ( No change)

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: tbrick18 on March 29, 2022, 03:01:15 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on March 28, 2022, 08:00:54 PM
Quote from: seafoid on March 28, 2022, 07:47:50 PM
The state of NI politics with the DUP and Shinners dominant is interesting and reminds me of an Adlai Stevenson quote.
During the session in the Assembly to remember Christopher Stalford  the more erudite speeches came from the SDLP, Alliance and UUP benches.
Some of the Shinner and DUP MLAs were atrocious.

https://quotepark.com/authors/adlai-stevenson/?msclkid=2bffcc4baec711ec8f40b9148e2a3d31
The supposed response to a woman who called out to him: "Governor, you have the vote of every thinking person!" during one of his presidential campaigns. T
,,That's not enough, madam, we need a majority!"

The standard of politician across the board in the 6 counties is definitely not great. Very few of them could hold their own in a serious debate hence the reason why the same politicians are wheeled out time and time again. On the other hand when it comes to social media presence there are plenty of charlatans about.

It's about as good as the standard in Westminster or in the south.
Very poor political leadership in this part of the world currently.
But in saying all that, I think Mary-Lou is a credible politician.

Cant stand her

red hander

Quote from: JPGJOHNNYG on March 29, 2022, 01:05:01 PM
Quote from: Mourne Red on March 29, 2022, 12:15:57 PM
Quote from: Shamrock Shore on March 29, 2022, 11:50:17 AM
Is Bryson running?

Why does Nolan give him so much oxygen?

Rumour is Jamie knows something about Nolan's private life

Sure didn't even Gregory Campbell semi threaten Nolan with the big reveal of the world's worst kept secret on live TV

That particular 'secret' is not the one Nolan is worried about being revealed...

Snapchap

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on March 29, 2022, 03:10:59 PM
The state of NI politics with the DUP and Shinners dominant is interesting and reminds me of an Adlai Stevenson quote.
During the session in the Assembly to remember Christopher Stalford  the more erudite speeches came from the SDLP, Alliance and UUP benches.

https://quotepark.com/authors/adlai-stevenson/?msclkid=2bffcc4baec711ec8f40b9148e2a3d31
The supposed response to a woman who called out to him: "Governor, you have the vote of every thinking person!" during one of his presidential campaigns. T

The standard of politician across the board in the 6 counties is definitely not great. Very few of them could hold their own in a serious debate hence the reason why the same politicians are wheeled out time and time again. On the other hand when it comes to social media presence there are plenty of charlatans about.

Cant stand her

Huge if true

Shamrock Shore

Quote from: red hander on March 29, 2022, 03:34:52 PM
Is Bryson running?

Sure didn't even Gregory Campbell semi threaten Nolan with the big reveal of the world's worst kept secret on live TV

That particular 'secret' is not the one Nolan is worried about being revealed...

Do tell...........or allude. I don't think he posts here!

seafoid

It's worse.
The Assembly has around 100 MLAs with 1/3 of the population of the South and 1/40th of the UK.
For quality control if should only have about 50 MLAs.
The DUP infantry are awful.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

imtommygunn

It is a bit of a carve up of money. Nowhere near as many needed.

angermanagement

Quote from: Truth hurts on March 29, 2022, 01:59:17 PM
I think McGrath has done enough in the area since the last election to warrant a seat, Paddy Brown is a good worker as well. Mason is also a good worker but people are not happy with how SF handled the Rogan not attendance.

What's the story with Rogan?

quit yo jibbajabba

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on March 29, 2022, 07:04:39 PM
Is Bryson running?

Bump

KickPass

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on March 29, 2022, 07:04:39 PM
Is Bryson running?

Are there photos involved?

seafoid

The DUP surely can't win first place so they would then have to concede the position of First Minister.
This would presumably be followed by months of political theatre.

93-DY-SAM

I have long thought this DUP stunt in bringing down the Assembly was more out of fear that SF are on course to be the largest party and claim the FM post. The protocol is a convenient smokescreen which gives them cover to not appear to be the bigoted undemocratic dinosaurs they are. 

marty34

Quote from: 93-DY-SAM on March 29, 2022, 11:20:04 PM
I have long thought this DUP stunt in bringing down the Assembly was more out of fear that SF are on course to be the largest party and claim the FM post. The protocol is a convenient smokescreen which gives them cover to not appear to be the bigoted undemocratic dinosaurs they are.

Yeah, that's my take on it this past 6 months or so.  The DUP haven't committed to it and I don't think, afaik, that Beattie hasn't said he'd go in a dfm to a nationalist.

That's unionism at its core value - not wanting or recognising nationalists as equals. Everything else is a sideshow.

That's what, whern everything is stripped back, is what it's all about.

seafoid

A feeling of superiority over the Taigs is the only thing a lot of DUP voters have. Plus the party is happy to scare the shit out out of them regularly.
If the Shinners get First Minister the psychological losses are significant.
The Protocol has been whipped into a frenzy even though the Brits have given up on it.

Average Score

Quote from: seafoid on March 30, 2022, 08:34:17 AM
A feeling of superiority over the Taigs is the only thing a lot of DUP voters have. Plus the party is happy to scare the shit out out of them regularly.
If the Shinners get First Minister the psychological losses are significant.
The Protocol has been whipped into a frenzy even though the Brits have given up on it.

With that ballbag Lewis's announcement re: the irish language act, the protocol will be second fiddle to the DUP not wanting to form an executive.