FIFA corruption

Started by seafoid, May 30, 2011, 03:59:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trileacman

Quote from: rosnarun on May 18, 2022, 02:37:57 PM
looks like were bringing it all back home

https://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/league-of-ireland/seven-footballers-are-among-those-arrested-in-connection-with-match-fixing-in-league-of-ireland-41662795.html

anyone surprised?

Not at all. It's been happening in daylight for years but no-one had to balls to come out and say it. Estonians, Americans and Maltese owning 2nd division Irish soccer clubs should tell you all you want to know. The big surprise is that the bookies didn't stop giving odds years ago when all this was starting. Surely they seen the writing on the wall?
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

rosnarun

Quote from: trileacman on May 18, 2022, 07:27:06 PM

https://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/league-of-ireland/seven-footballers-are-among-those-arrested-in-connection-with-match-fixing-in-league-of-ireland-41662795.html

anyone surprised?

Not at all. It's been happening in daylight for years but no-one had to balls to come out and say it. Estonians, Americans and Maltese owning 2nd division Irish soccer clubs should tell you all you want to know. The big surprise is that the bookies didn't stop giving odds years ago when all this was starting. Surely they seen the writing on the wall?
your assuming the bookies are innocent in all of this .
not a term usually associated with the profession. they dont sponsor everything in sports that moves for a reason. long may the GAA hold out against them but it must be costing them millions.
apart from the fact that it would be impossible to Stop, its hard to give one good reason Gambling is allowed.
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

trileacman

Quote from: rosnarun on May 19, 2022, 09:21:09 AM
Quote from: trileacman on May 18, 2022, 07:27:06 PM

anyone surprised?

your assuming the bookies are innocent in all of this .
not a term usually associated with the profession. they dont sponsor everything in sports that moves for a reason. long may the GAA hold out against them but it must be costing them millions.
apart from the fact that it would be impossible to Stop, its hard to give one good reason Gambling is allowed.

Interesting opinion. I don't know much about bookies operation. How would a large chain (Paddy Power) etc, find a way to profit from the match-fixing?
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

rosnarun

Many ways
give over generous odds on a Favored team
such as one that  3 previous games by some thing like  4,4 and 5  goals and were certain to beat a lower team .
just a small adjustment  to the odds which serious gamblers take advantage of such as 1/1 as opposed to 1/2
then make sure the favorites don't win. bobs your uncle.
and once you get into what the yanks call prop bets the world is their oyster such as ensure the player with the leat money on them causes first line ball or 1st shot at goal . doesn't affect over all outcome so no one really cares

Rossfan

Any comment from Brigin or did I miss it?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Baile Brigín 2

anyone surprised?

The Athlone thing was well known about and shut down. Seems some serious Italians got ownership and brought in lads (on explenses) from Estonia who had previously been banned for match fixing. A bizarre state of affairs Delaney never accounted for. You need to fill in fit and proper forms to be a director at a pub team, but they didn't know who owned Athlone?

The Limerick thing could be anything. I remain sceptical as the bookes have cried wolf more than once when tbey have been cleaned out mispricing games.

But I think this does go on in all sports. Especially when bookies are making a market on amateur sport and often dead rubber games. Was it not well known that the last game of tbe IL season used to be the holiday bonus, especially if nothing at stake?

Franko

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on May 19, 2022, 06:21:52 PM

anyone surprised?

The Athlone thing was well known about and shut down. Seems some serious Italians got ownership and brought in lads (on explenses) from Estonia who had previously been banned for match fixing. A bizarre state of affairs Delaney never accounted for. You need to fill in fit and proper forms to be a director at a pub team, but they didn't know who owned Athlone?

The Limerick thing could be anything. I remain sceptical as the bookes have cried wolf more than once when tbey have been cleaned out mispricing games.

But I think this does go on in all sports. Especially when bookies are making a market on amateur sport and often dead rubber games. Was it not well known that the last game of tbe IL season used to be the holiday bonus, especially if nothing at stake?

So in summary folks...

1. The bad thing I simply can't defend is now over so don't talk about it any more

2. There's enough wriggle room to allow me to say the other bad thing might not be a bad thing

3. Look, there's maybe a bad thing happening over there!

;D ;D ;D
Laughable stuff - if this is the best the FAI's chief mouthpiece can produce, then they are deeper in the sh1t than I thought.

rosnarun

anyone surprised?

Apart fromRcing what evidence do you have that it goes on in other sports in anything other than a once off basis .
this and athone was a well organized Sting carrie owt on a wide basis with many people involved and requires a serious investigation no just a head on a plate.
Scoccer is corrupt to the core that people in general are ignoring this story .
there is a soccer special on tv to night not about this but about an incident beween 2 thick pricks 20 years ago

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: Franko on May 20, 2022, 01:31:04 PM

anyone surprised?

So in summary folks...

1. The bad thing I simply can't defend is now over so don't talk about it any more

2. There's enough wriggle room to allow me to say the other bad thing might not be a bad thing

;D ;D ;D
Laughable stuff - if this is the best the FAI's chief mouthpiece can produce, then they are deeper in the sh1t than I thought.

Why wpuld I be defending this? A very, very dark thing happened at Athlone that absolutely should not have and the Gardai are investigating. A second club were implicated that may or may not be a thing - bookies have cried wolf before.

Mouthpiece?

If you think lads at other sports aren't throwing bets on themselves in irrelevant games I have a bridge for sale.

The reason this is being investigated is Athlone got taken over by the Italian mob specifically to jigger games. How did that happen is the actual story and needs a bigger investigation than just charging players who long since left the country.

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: rosnarun on May 20, 2022, 02:23:42 PM

anyone surprised?

Apart fromRcing what evidence do you have that it goes on in other sports in anything other than a once off basis .
this and athone was a well organized Sting carrie owt on a wide basis with many people involved and requires a serious investigation no just a head on a plate.
Scoccer is corrupt to the core that people in general are ignoring this story .
there is a soccer special on tv to night not about this but about an incident beween 2 thick pricks 20 years ago

How is it being ignored? It's in every paper and all over the tv.

All I am saying is the Athlone issue was very much on the extreme end. It's not a group of players deciding to throw a dead rubber game. It was an orchestrated mafia scam. Of course that requires a big investigation but I haven't heard anything about how they bought the club and why the FAI allowed the purchase without knowing the identity of the new owners. Toe that is a glaring omission. But jumping to 'all soccer is corrupt' is a bit iffy.

Limerick could be anything but Athlone needs a full investigation

Franko

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on May 20, 2022, 02:53:12 PM

anyone surprised?

So in summary folks...

;D ;D ;D

Why wpuld I be defending this? A very, very dark thing happened at Athlone that absolutely should not have and the Gardai are investigating. A second club were implicated that may or may not be a thing - bookies have cried wolf before.

Mouthpiece?

If you think lads at other sports aren't throwing bets on themselves in irrelevant games I have a bridge for sale.

The reason this is being investigated is Athlone got taken over by the Italian mob specifically to jigger games. How did that happen is the actual story and needs a bigger investigation than just charging players who long since left the country.

Straw men and pathetic attempts at deflection.

There's a serious problem in the LOI with regard to match fixing.

I mean, in what other sport was a team "taken over by the Italian mob specifically to jigger games"?  Seriously??  ;D ;D

I'm sorry, but the soccer problem is WAY bigger than in other sports.  No amount of shit thrown is going to disguise that

If anything remotely close to this had gone on within the GAA you'd be pi$$ing yourself

You started a whole new thread about a few offaly U-14's not being allowed to play soccer

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: Franko on May 20, 2022, 04:36:03 PM

anyone surprised?

So in summary folks...

;D ;D ;D

Mouthpiece?

I mean, in what other sport was a team "taken over by the Italian mob specifically to jigger games"?  Seriously??  ;D ;D

I'm sorry, but the soccer problem is WAY bigger than in other sports.  No amount of shit thrown is going to disguise that

If anything remotely close to this had gone on within the GAA you'd be pi$$ing yourself

You started a whole new thread about a few offaly U-14's not being allowed to play soccer

I don't think you know what the words strawmen and deflection mean. If you think my posts are defending soccer you are a loon.

The thread I opened was relevant and worth a discussion. Relevance?

Franko

Oh I know exactly what they mean.  Here's an example where you manage to work both into a single sentence.  ;D

And I know you're not defending anything - you can't - it's an absolute farce

Deflection and mudslinging is all you have.

trueblue1234

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on May 20, 2022, 08:57:44 PM
Quote from: Franko on May 20, 2022, 04:36:03 PM

anyone surprised?

So in summary folks...

;D ;D ;D

Mouthpiece?

I don't think you know what the words strawmen and deflection mean. If you think my posts are defending soccer you are a loon.

The thread I opened was relevant and worth a discussion. Relevance?

But you were very quick to claim "unsourced whataboutry" when someone started discussing soccer on the Offaly thread.

Now I'll be honest, I've never had a big issue with whataboutary in general as it helps to build a wider picture and provides more context. But you don't get to cry whataboutary on one discussion and then try and use it in another. Obvious hypocrisy in doing so.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: Franko on May 21, 2022, 09:19:58 AM
Oh I know exactly what they mean.  Here's an example where you manage to work both into a single sentence.  ;D

And I know you're not defending anything - you can't - it's an absolute farce

Deflection and mudslinging is all you have.

So you are stating as a fact there isn't an issue with players gambling in the GAA?