Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

groundlie

Cork were poor we played at our maximum. McNaughton a real clinker. Our defense is weak. We have some nice ball players. Focus needs to go on underage.

marty34

Quote from: imtommygunn on June 12, 2022, 07:03:28 PM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on June 12, 2022, 06:56:28 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on June 12, 2022, 06:53:11 PM
One of the best engines on that team looks like he has a belly but there are many far lighter than him that can't cover as much ground.

Cork aren't s physical as some of the munster ones either but we have definitely improved on the physicality stakes.

Ye mind Big Corkery ?

Different time though. So much talent but not sure he would fit in modern game. I guess best modern day example Quigleys. Not many equivalents in the hurling.

Big Domhnall Nugent?

marty34

Quote from: Saffrongael on June 12, 2022, 07:03:37 PM
One of the best engines on that team looks like he has a belly but there are many far lighter than him that can't cover as much ground.

Cork aren't s physical as some of the munster ones either but we have definitely improved on the physicality stakes.

They are as leggy/pacey as any of the teams though. And I'm not 100% sure you can train that in players that don't have it, Cork have great running power. Lost count of the numner of times a Cork player took 3 steps and was away from his man yesterday.

Their problem is getting turned over in the tackle & getting over elaborate with the short stuff

Yeah, they have pace, which will suit well in Thurles and CP.

Will Cork beat Galway? I give them a real good chance.

Upandover

Quote from: marty34 on June 12, 2022, 08:06:10 PM
Quote from: Saffrongael on June 12, 2022, 07:03:37 PM

They are as leggy/pacey as any of the teams though. And I'm not 100% sure you can train that in players that don't have it, Cork have great running power. Lost count of the numner of times a Cork player took 3 steps and was away from his man yesterday.

Their problem is getting turned over in the tackle & getting over elaborate with the short stuff

Yeah, they have pace, which will suit well in Thurles and CP.

Will Cork beat Galway? I give them a real good chance.
I fancy cork to beat galway.

Talking about conditioning etc its quite clear fitness is an issue, as games wear on we do seem to slow down quite a bit, seen it in croke against kerry, yesterday we lead by a point at ht but didnt get going at all 2nd half.

It was also noticeable cork were first to every breaking ball, and also passed antrim players with a few short paces, dont get me wrong Antrim have done well this year, maintained division 1 status, won the joe mcdonagh, played cork in a prelim quarter final but i hope we can make the next step.

You lads know more than me, any minors that now need to step up on merit?

Milltown Row2

Biggest problem we have is throwing minors onto senior teams after they finish juvenile. S&C wouldn't be close as they are at 17 years old, we've plenty on panel and actually still other players from the Johnnies and Rossa who'd add to that panel, I'm sure there are other country lads that would make it.

Some from the college teams i've ref'd this year also should be pushing
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Last Man

Chatting to and looking at our lads on the panel there has been a pile of work done on the S&C side but my impression is that we are still lacking the mentality to adapt on the hoof, if our game plan is working then its all good but as soon as we are unpicked we struggle to pivot to another approach, might there be a clue in Glesson bemoaning the loss of Maor Foirne. How we develop leadership, cuteness and autonomy is the key for me.

NAG1

Quote from: Last Man on June 13, 2022, 03:13:03 PM
Chatting to and looking at our lads on the panel there has been a pile of work done on the S&C side but my impression is that we are still lacking the mentality to adapt on the hoof, if our game plan is working then its all good but as soon as we are unpicked we struggle to pivot to another approach, might there be a clue in Glesson bemoaning the loss of Maor Foirne. How we develop leadership, cuteness and autonomy is the key for me.

There is definitely something in that, we cant seem to change mid stream. However I think the biggest factor is the 6 day turn around. Antrim and Kerry were set up to fail in this system, I dont care who you are you cant play a final and then be ready to hit even higher levels within 6 days.

You take in recovery and then a tactical plan which would have been completely different for Cork than Kerry etc

If they are wanting to get Antrim Kerry or whoever to competitive levels these are the types of things that need addressed, but in that respect do they actually want these teams to be competitive because year on year the apathy shown is obvious.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: NAG1 on June 14, 2022, 08:47:14 AM

There is definitely something in that, we cant seem to change mid stream. However I think the biggest factor is the 6 day turn around. Antrim and Kerry were set up to fail in this system, I dont care who you are you cant play a final and then be ready to hit even higher levels within 6 days.

You take in recovery and then a tactical plan which would have been completely different for Cork than Kerry etc

If they are wanting to get Antrim Kerry or whoever to competitive levels these are the types of things that need addressed, but in that respect do they actually want these teams to be competitive because year on year the apathy shown is obvious.

They have done the same in football also with the quick turn around of games in the qualifiers, there seems to be a rush to get the games done and out of the way.. I actually didnt realise to late on that we'd be entered into the McCarthy cup this year.. I thought winning it would have given us entry next year..
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

marty34

Would Gleeson be in the running for the Tipp job if Bonnar steps away from the Tipp role?

johnnycool

Quote from: marty34 on June 14, 2022, 09:18:49 AM
Would Gleeson be in the running for the Tipp job if Bonnar steps away from the Tipp role?

Doubt it, his conviction might work against him at home.

Saffrongael

Quote from: johnnycool on June 14, 2022, 09:49:39 AM

Im sure I heard he went for the Tipp minor job last year and didn't get it, so that wouldn't be a good sign
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

marty34

Quote from: johnnycool on June 14, 2022, 09:49:39 AM

You reckon? I'd say time would be a healer and all that.

Travel be sore on him I'd say.

I think he'd do a good job with Tipp and be a good fit for them.  Outwith Cahill (and his star has nosedived this past 6 weeks), who else is there.

In saying that, all speculation as Bonnar will probably take another near to set his stall out.

Last Man

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 14, 2022, 09:00:35 AM

They have done the same in football also with the quick turn around of games in the qualifiers, there seems to be a rush to get the games done and out of the way.. I actually didnt realise to late on that we'd be entered into the McCarthy cup this year.. I thought winning it would have given us entry next year..
There's no better foundation than getting them strong healthy and happy at their work, if any part is missing then we can't expect results. Just a personal hunch but can a team be over coached and are we seeing it more and more, club level also??

johnnycool

Quote from: Last Man on June 14, 2022, 10:58:29 AM

There's no better foundation than getting them strong healthy and happy at their work, if any part is missing then we can't expect results. Just a personal hunch but can a team be over coached and are we seeing it more and more, club level also??

Over coached in terms of rigid game play?

If that is what you are saying then i'd agree, and if you'd read any of Jim Gavins stuff since he left the Dublin job he's of the opinion that coaching is to allow the players on the field to make the right decisions for that time and all scenarios a player will face can never be truly covered in tactics so empower the players to "embrace the chaos" are the next buzz words out there.

Decision making is taken out of the hands of the players in an over-coached team and some of the best players ever were off the cuff types, but you can see lads struggle in certain systems as it's unnatural to them, Austin Gleeson is the most obvious at the minute.

marty34

Quote from: johnnycool on June 14, 2022, 11:23:20 AM
Quote from: Last Man on June 14, 2022, 10:58:29 AM

Over coached in terms of rigid game play?

If that is what you are saying then i'd agree, and if you'd read any of Jim Gavins stuff since he left the Dublin job he's of the opinion that coaching is to allow the players on the field to make the right decisions for that time and all scenarios a player will face can never be truly covered in tactics so empower the players to "embrace the chaos" are the next buzz words out there.

Decision making is taken out of the hands of the players in an over-coached team and some of the best players ever were off the cuff types, but you can see lads struggle in certain systems as it's unnatural to them, Austin Gleeson is the most obvious at the minute.

I agree to a certain extent but the likes of TK and Cian Lynch buck that trend.

Lynch, especially, at times, looks as if he's doing some of them flicks/tricks at training.  Great that he hasn't been overcoached and nobody is giving out to him for trying and doing it.